Where does NC fit

blueize74

Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider yourself to be in a Southern state?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who Cares

I agree. I also agree Va has regions that feel more southern than others. This is only my opinion but Richmond seems have a more southern feel than does Va Beach/Norfolk and that is probably due to the influx of the military. And like BronxBoy said Nova has a northern feel to it although it has a hint of southerness to it as well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GUYNVB,

Thanks so much for your input.....I'm totally in love with the Hampton Roads area!!

My wife has been on my ass about moving there after we went to visit family that relocated there from NY. That region of VA is going to be a force to be reckoned with in years to come. I know it's called the "Seven Cities", but it sorta reminds me of NY (5boros). When they start building skyscapers out there (40stories or higher), that area is going to be AMAZING!!!!

Sorry I know this is a NC forum, so I will just end it with that :)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I think North Carolina is starting to market itself as a Mid-Atlantic state in order to get industry. For instance, the Cheesecake Factory chose to put its bakery in Rocky Mount because it is in the center of the East Coast. Other industries have also said they chose NC because of its central location on the East Coast.

I think North Carolina is starting to market itself as a Mid-Atlantic state in order to get industry.  For  instance, the Cheesecake Factory chose to put its bakery in Rocky Mount because it is in the center of the East Coast. Other industries have also said they chose NC because of its central location on the East Coast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow..Finally!!! Someone is seeing what I'm talking about, a few people on this thread seems to think it's "all" of the new transplants trying to rename it. But I honestly think it's the business leaders & politicians of this state that's starting to stand up and realize that although in the south NC is not far from the Northeast corridor. Therefore,business wise it makes sense. I know a lot of the locals are going to be pissed about this post, but times have changed and it's starting to show. All the new major companies moving to N.C. are saying their "new" headquarters will be in the Mid-Atlantic region. Just google

"Is NC a Mid-Atlantic State"? and see what comes up... :)

I think North Carolina is starting to market itself as a Mid-Atlantic state in order to get industry.  For  instance, the Cheesecake Factory chose to put its bakery in Rocky Mount because it is in the center of the East Coast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seriously doubt the Cheesecake Factory is considered industry. :D

This came from the Charlotte Observer......I how some of you feel about this paper, but my point for posting this is what the doctor said. This article was written on July 15,2005

N.C. tick-borne illness rising

EMILY ALMAS

Staff Writer

More people fall ill with the tick-borne disease Rocky Mountain spotted fever in North Carolina than in any other state. And cases of the potentially fatal, flulike illness, which flourishes in the summer, are rising again this year.

Last year the Tar Heel State accounted for 535 of the 1,514 cases reported across the country -- more than three times as many as any other state. North Carolina reported more cases than South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee combined.

By early July, the number of N.C. cases had climbed to 146, about 33 percent higher than the 110 cases from the same period last year. In 2003, only 60 cases were reported by then.

The state is a hotbed of spotted fever because of its vigorous growth, state epidemiologist Dr. Jeff Engel said.

He said North Carolina has always had large numbers of dog ticks that can carry the RMSF bacteria. But he said the explosion of suburbs in recent years, primarily in the Piedmont, is exacerbating the problem by bringing humans and ticks closer together.

"We're getting large subdivisions that are butting up to large tracts of their natural habitat," Engel said. "Our population in terms of a mid-Atlantic state is growing faster than our neighbors. What you're seeing ... is more and more people getting into harm's way in an area that naturally has these ticks."

I seriously doubt the Cheesecake Factory is considered industry.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Raintree, the aforementioned plant is not a Cheesecake Factory restaurant, but a bakery and distribution hub.

The Cheesecake Factory put the icing on plans for a major bakery and distribution hub near Rocky Mount on Wednesday, days after state lawmakers agreed to extend major economic incentives to lure the company.

Calabasas Hills, Calif.-based Cheesecake expects to invest $16 million in the facility and hire 500 workers by 2012, providing a welcome economic boost to Nash County.

In return, the company will get up to $4 million in state and local incentives, including up to $1.5 million in state tax credits over three years for meeting growth and investment targets.

The bakery will be the restaurant chain's first outside of Calabasas Hills and is intended to meet growing demand and transport needs along the East Coast. Cheesecake has one restaurant in Raleigh and plans to open another in Durham.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It appears that the main difference in opinion comes from whether you are looking at it from a business POV or a traditional/cultural POV.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed: I think from a business perspective, we're mid-atlantic. Just look where most of the biz flights from RDU are going (DC, NYC, etc.)

Culturally, we're still southern Bible Belters.

It'll be interesting to see how the cultural climate changes as we become more urban. It was, what? Only 2 years ago that we finally went from a state whose population was majority rural to one whose people mostly live in urban areas? This is a shift that will continue to change the perception of the state more than anything else.

Side note: my dad worked in the NC branch of a northern company his entire career, and NC was always considered a backwater by the corporate HQ. Of course, tons of their employees also moved here with work, and once they were here loved it and stayed. Most joked about not wanting to share in their good fortune, and telling their friends back north that it was "just horrible! no paved roads! you would hate it! stay up there!"

Side note 2: David Sedaris has some interesting perspective on being an IBM transplant to Raleigh. His perceptions of the area from his childhood are painfully insightful, and really funny.

This shouldn't even be debated!!! It's obviously southern!! This thread doesn't make sense in my opinion!!

**I think the map above represents it perfectly!**

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can you take that map seriously? It totally leaves off South FLA. How do you justify that? That's the most southern part of the Eastern Seaboard. NC sits in 2 regions as I said before just like VA(Mid-Atlantic & Southeast). Business wise NC is looked at as a Mid-Atlantic State...And if you look @ the rest of the south, NC is not in the "DEEP SOUTH" . Let's use history again ladies & gentlemen.... Maryland is historically a southern state, and those of you who finished high school should know that. But as years went on & growth and developments started taking off around Baltimore(Another Southern City) and it's metro area, and because of it's proximity to the Northeastern States,the state of Maryland was no longer "thought of " as a "Southern State". But historically Maryland is STILL a southern state, but it's also called a "Mid-Atlantic State" as well. Again, times have changed people, and NC isn't immune from change, and the things that come with it. North Carolina is being viewed globally as a "BIG BUSINESS" state. So for those that are upset at the fact that others are starting to view NC as a Mid-Atlantic state and not as much as a southern state, take it up with the business leaders and forward thinkers of the great state of NC. IMHO, I don't see anything wrong with NC having a dual identity....instead of fighting the change,some of you should be embracing the growth and prosperity that these business leaders & businesses are bringing to this great state. Just my 2cents. :)

I'm not fighting anything?? And actually, NC is considered the deep south. I know most people on the Southern USA forum think that too. They also think Virginia is too, so if Virginia is, and it is farther north than NC, than NC definatly is. How many times are people going to talk about this topic? And we don't include southern Florida because it doesn't represent southern hospitality. You're trying to tell me Miami is a deep south city? I think not. NC represents the south culturally and demographically. I still think this topic makes no sense....

I'm not fighting anything?? And actually, NC is considered the deep south. I know most people on the Southern USA forum think that too. They also think Virginia is too, so if Virginia is, and it is farther north than NC, than NC definatly is. How many times are people going to talk about this topic? And we don't include southern Florida because it doesn't represent southern hospitality. You're trying to tell me Miami is a deep south city? I think not. NC represents the south culturally and demographically. I still think this topic makes no sense....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude you are seriously buggin!!! Ask anybody from NC or VA on this forum if they think NC or VA is in the DEEP SOUTH, and they will tell you NO!!! Do some research before you come over here poppin s**t!! Yes, we have been talking about this for a minute, and that's because people are being still interested in voicing their opinion on the topic , If you don't like it DON'T POST or TROLL the THREADS!!!...Further more, Miami isn't the "ONLY" thing that reps S.Florida, and I'm sure some Floridians that read this thread will agree also. S. Florida has ALOT of southern hospitality, outside of MIAMI!! And yes NC is a Mid-Atlantic State geographically, maybe not totally culturally...but give it time. North Carolina will not be the same NC of yesteryear. GET USE TO IT!!! -_-

BTW....Where are you from? I see NO Refugee, did you just move to NC from N.O.? I mean before Katrina? My reason for interest in NC and it's future , is I'm there ALOT!! My mother lives there, and I've been thinking of relocating my family to either NC or VA. And I can truly & honestly say that today's NC is not the same NC I visited 10 years ago, hell even 5yrs ago. You have to understand times change, just like you used Miami as an example. Do you actually think with all the new businesses & transplants moving to the state, things would remain the same forever? Also please explain to me how you figure NC is in the "Deep South"? I invite you to start a poll, and watch the response to your poll regarding NC & VA being "Deep South" states. Both of those states are within 8-10 hours(Driving) of 4 Major Northeastern Cities. Ask some of the people from Raleigh & Durham how long it takes them to get to D.C. or Philly from N.C.

Try to be more open-minded man.... :thumbsup:

Why does this matter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha Ha!!! Honestly I wasn't the one who continued the thread, I already said what I needed to say, but since it was continued...I threw my 2 cents in again. Does that bother you that much?Why? Because I see it differently than some others? Why don't you ask some of the others that seemed to agree with me if it matters. What a D**k!!! :angry:

Ha Ha!!! Honestly I wasn't the one who continued the thread, I already said what I needed to say, but since it was continued...I threw my 2 cents in again. Does that bother you that much?Why? Because I see it differently than some others? Why don't you ask some of the others that seemed to agree with me if it matters. What a D**k!!! :angry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, you seriously need to pop a midol. I'm sorry, for offending you? You threw in your 2 cents and I threw in mine, I'm sorry. So I guess when you say something it's right, but when I say something it's poppin *crap*?? I'm just saying that [i think] when people think about Florida they skip passed all of the southern parts and think about Miami and the beachy party scene. (I still don't think southern Florida is "deep south." And this is definately true.... if you think S. Florida is "deep south" than NC has to be, which people will agree. This is a forum, different opinions is basically what it's about.

By the way, every dang southern city in America is getting more businesses, so none of it will be the same as "yesteryear" eventually. I never said I didn't accept your 2 cents, in fact I have accepted it. You just haven't accepted mine and the others who disagreed with you.

You need to open your mind a little more, and that is one comment of mine that people will agree with. ;)

So you can get used to that... :thumbsup:

(I am before katrina. I just have family there)

I do agree with NOrefugee. You need to calm down. You're not supposeed to use all capital letters when typing anyways. NOrefugee hasn't done anything to make you mad. I don't know why you [bronx boy] have something against NC being southern so bad. Personally I don't care what anyone says, it's southern. Compare it to New York. What does it have in common besides big businesses. Nothing. Just because a culturally, demographically, and politically southern state wants to prove it can be prosperous doesn't mean that it lacks the the components of Southern Hospitality. I think race has an influence on it (having a large African-American population). I know people from New Orleans/Louisiana think NC is.... Anyways you can look at the poll and see what others think. The poll says it all............

Dude, you seriously need to pop a midol. I'm sorry, for offending you? You threw in your 2 cents and I threw in mine, I'm sorry. So I guess when you say something it's right, but when I say something it's poppin *crap*?? I'm just saying that [i think] when people think about Florida they skip passed all of the southern parts and think about Miami and the beachy party scene. (I still don't think southern Florida is "deep south." And this is definately true.... if you think S. Florida is "deep south" than NC has to be, which people will agree. This is a forum, different opinions is basically what it's about.

By the way, every dang southern city in America is getting more businesses, so none of it will be the same as "yesteryear" eventually. I never said I didn't accept your 2 cents, in fact I have accepted it. You just haven't accepted mine and the others who disagreed with you.

You need to open your mind a little more, and that is one comment of mine that people will agree with. ;)

So you can get used to that... :thumbsup:

(I am before katrina. I just have family there)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived