Allen Plaza

benjamin

$300 Million Office & Hotel Development Announced

December 13, 2004

Barry Real Estate Cos. has announced plans for a $300 million office and hotel development at a prominent location in Downtown Atlanta. Allen Plaza will be anchored by accounting firm Ernst & Young .

Named Allen Plaza after former Atlanta mayor Ivan Allen Jr., the development will be located at the Williams Street ramp near Centennial Olympic Park. For many years, the site was home to the Boomershine Ford dealership and in recent years the land has featured a Heineken billboard flashing over the I-75/85 downtown connector.

Allen Plaza will feature two new office buildings, including the tallest structure built downtown in a decade, and a 250-room hotel. A third office building at the site, for Southern Co., was announced in January and is already under construction.

Ernst & Young will occupy nearly half of one of the planned buildings, to be called 55 Allen Plaza. The 14-story tower will have 350,000 square foot of office space on property that Barry will lease from Atlanta developer Selig Enterprises. The company's Atlanta office will move its partners out of Bank of America Plaza at Peachtree Street and North Avenue.

"Allen Plaza is exactly what Downtown needs to create momentum, said A.J. Robinson, president of Central Atlanta Progress.

"Ernst & Young's commitment to Allen Plaza shows corporate America that Downtown remains the heart of Atlanta's business district," Robinson said.

"Coupled with Southern Co.'s decision to stay, E&Y's relocation to Allen Plaza proves that Downtown can attract and retain blue-chip tenants."

- "New downtown site named for Mayor Allen "

Atlanta Journal-Constitution, 12/9/04

According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "Barry will also build a much larger, 34-story tower behind the Ernst site for an unnamed tenant that Barry is now courting." This skyscraper will be the tallest tower downtown since 1992.

skyline.jpg

Rendering of the Skyline After Construction

Developer Hal Barry has made an agreement with the Allen family to pay a licensing fee for the use of his name, with the fee evenly split between two institutions that bear Allen's name, the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts at Georgia Tech and the Ivan Allen Society of Atlanta's United Way. An additional Allen connection is the fact that Allen Plaza will front on Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard (formerly the Jones-Simpson-Alexander corridor).

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...

I was just perusing through the website of Allen Plaza and Emporis and I noticed that there is yet another building added to the collection of buildings in this complex.

30 Allen Plaza - 14 stories

45 Allen Plaza - 24 stories, new one to me

50 Allen Plaza - 34 stories

55 Allen Plaza - 14 stories

This is alot of development going on in this small location. I was wondering, is the 45 Allen Plaza building where the new W hotel and condominiums will be located? I'm sure Martinman will know. :thumbsup:

Is it me or will this area look totally not the same in two years. I remember when the Centennial Olympic Park was under construction. The Techwood Homes housing project was steps away from the soon to be park. It was a totally different area. I remember the homeless shelter on the corner of Alexander and Techwood.......my my my how times have changed.

By the way, I think the plaza is a great idea. :wub:

Archived