1. 1. Where should I go

• Charleston
    • Savannah
    • Wilmington
    • Fernadina/Jacksonville

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh?  Maybe you missed how I described Myrtle Beach.

I didn't, I was ujst being an ass trying to promote Charelston :P

It really boils down that what you want to do.  BTW,  I posted some pics of Charlestons new bridge somewhere on the forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be here: Charleston's Ravenel Bridge Pics

I strongly encourage those who are interested in CHarleston or Savannah to go to The Coastal Regions to get more information and to participate in discussions there!

Since you like the water I think you'd definitely like Charleston. Also, Charleston is much bigger than either Savannah or Wilmington. It is also older and has more history preserved than those other two cities combined. Charleston has great restaurants and there are things to do all year round. I would not, however, go there in the middle of summer unless you love hot and muggy weather. Of course the same really goes for any of the cities you mentioned.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The summer is tourist season in Charelston and hotel rates are horrendous. The winder offers you mild weather to enjoy the sites at a reasonable price! (on Folly Beach its about $75/night at the Holiday Inn vs $200/night in the summer)

every summer my family rents a condo on hilton head island. we always take a side trip to savannah. it's gorgeous there and i really think you should go. the city parks there are beautiful and well kept. there are plenty of shops and good restaurants there. there is one greek place we go too right on the riverfront that is awesome. charleston and the rest of your choices sound very nice too though. good luck and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am late in getting my opinion in on this and thereby assisting you in your decision, but I figured I would comment nonetheless... :thumbsup:

We have a preference for Savannah ourselves (to be fair, we have never been to Wilmington or Charleston, so take this for what it is...my opinion). We have visited in Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter and still find it enjoyable each time. As was mentioned earlier, you really need to take it all in at a leisurely pace. Besides a bike ride, you can just about walk to anything/everything in the Historic area. We have usually parked near Forsyth park or the river and then hoofed it all over. Our seven year old has walked (no strollers used) Savannah about five times since she was 2 1/2 and has loved it. So, I would say it's pretty walkable.

As for interest and fun...visit in the Spring (March/April) to see all of the azaleas in bloom throughout the Historic district. The Fall (late Oct/Early Nov) is great too as the weather is a bit cooler and the Telfair Art Festival or Oktoberfest are happening. Tybee Island is quaint, but he have always found plenty to see/do in the Historic area. We have stayed at the Planters Inn and the Marshall House; both are great, but I give props to the Marshall House for a better place/stay. And no one can visit Savannah without eating at The Lady and Sons.

I would post pics from some of our trips to Savannah, but I am not sure how (any tips!?). Nonetheless, Savannah is tops with us and it's hasn't reached that trendy or over-commercialized feel yet. Hope this helps...and post pics of your trip to wherever! Thanks.

The Urb

• 1 month later...

My only problem is that Charleston has gotten so touristy and exclusive that it  no longer resembles the historic city it proports to be.    One of my relatives (who grew up there) was remarking during Christmas that King street is nothing but chains now and resembles a shopping mall. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I will disagree here. Charleston has excellent local stores on Upper King Street AND the City Market. Many locals make baskets and other trinkets that you could never find anywhere else. Also, the locals have a huge impact on the restaurants. You won't find chains such as Bonefish, Outback, or Olive Garden anywhere DT, because the local food is fantastic!

Anyway, I voted for Jax/Fernandina. I know my hometown well enough that I'd go there for a weekend, but not a full week vacation. I've been to Jax a few times, but I haven't been recently, so I would go there and also explore the other beaches such as Jax Beach, Atlantic, and Fernandina.

Just a little update...

I'm not going to any of these places. So there!

Not this year at least. Thanks for everybody's input. Hopefully other people got something as much out of this as I did. Charleston and Savannah will definitely be a trip soon. The more I think about it, the more I'd like to do a road trip and try to hit everything along the coast from Jax to Charleston or maybe Myrtle Beach.

• 3 months later...

What a tough decision for me to make...Savannah or Charleston?! I caved in a VOTED for Savannah, but I would recommend visiting both cities as they are really not that far from each other. Both have maintained their unique southern charm and history (more Savannah than Charleston) and both are absolutely beautiful.

I voted for Savannah because it feels like you've stepped back into time when you visit that city. Aside from the modern cars on the streets, the buildings and city parks are pretty much true to their original form. There is not one skyscraper to be found in Savannah and it's for that reason I love the place. Also, the locals will be glad to tell you city legends and the stories behind the buildings. For example, I never knew that Savannah was one of the only cities spared by Gen. Sherman during his march from Atlanta to the sea.

Charleston has embraced modernism, but has also managed to preserve its history. Fort Sumter, although very touristy, is very interesting and offers great views of Charleston harbor and the waterfront. You'll also learn something in the process. Charleston also has great nightlife!

I've never been to Wilmington and I live in Florida and have been to Jacksonville only twice, so I can't give a well rounded opinion of either.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived