Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

It will be interesting to see if they actually pulled that off or not. In the past CVS & Eckerds has usually gotten an exemption to the drive thru rule as it allows the elderly to stay in their cars to get their prescritions. Instead of having to get out and walk to the back of the store. For some of these folks that can be a challenge.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what i wish they could have done was a more urban approach to drive through. the alley between post and cvs is so small, and close to the building, they could have just had parking spots there with a speaker or something and either a window or have the employees just walk outside.

i'm surprise that there aren't any gas stations like that in the US (that i know of), where it is just like street parking but where you'd expect to see parking meters, there are small gas pumps. With pay at the pump, it works even better.

I know in europe, they also have services at parking decks where you pay them to fill your car up when it is parked during the day.

anyway, back to the point, i'm fine if they don't put a drive through at this cvs, but with the lower amount of parking, i think one would have suited them well.

By the way, if friends of fourth ward squashed a drive through... i think it is ironic, as the building has been nothing but a drive through for half a century... as Gerrard Tire garage mechanics. :)

hey i rode by this site today as well. i am glad they appear to be moving on this one. on a funny note though...the watchtower they constructed is almost the exact same height as brookshire freeway - which is right beside it. so if your dying to know what the view is going to look like - just get off of 77 onto the brookshire, right when you pass the ADM silos - look right. there is the beloved view...without the schmoozy salesmenship of a realtor. :thumbsup:

i thought it was a bit taller than brookshire... i guess that is the trick of visual perspective.

On the cvs... i drove by today and may have been wrong. there seems to be a small covered area on the back side (smith side) and has a little 1' wide median with a waist-high concrete pole, typical of drive throughs and gas stations. i'll bet that is it.

Progress is being made on it, and they have some interesting window embellishments for the old building on the 6th side. it will be a wonderful enhancement to an already wonderful corner of fourth ward.

Also, i noticed that that gerrard has replaced the windows of the storefront building on graham next to their old/new location....

18259299-M.jpg

I guess they are going to be trying harder to get new retail there. Now to get them to fill in their barbed-wired, chain-link fenced gravel parking lot at 7th and graham.

• 5 months later...

Has anyone heard any more on the Garrison? Has it fizzled?

No news that I'm aware of.. That dopey scaffolding they've set up is still there collecting dust and bug turds. I think they're overly-ambitious with the pricing for that location. I think the range was something like $300-400K+ and that just aintgonnahappen.com when you can get alot closer to the Square for the same cash. I think they need (and are getting) a reality check.

Maybe someone else has more solid info though...

They just applied for their building permits in mid-October.....they have not been approved yet, but it is at least a sign that things are progressing.....also about 2 months ago they had a catered lunch reception on the site.

I expect them to start construction probably March.

• 3 weeks later...

I now work at a copy place, and this guy brought in some papers for us to copy. It was papers for the Garrison on Graham for people to purchase and put deposits down on condos. The site is still waiting to be rezoned according to the papers, but at least this is a sign that this project is still moving forward.

...this guy brought in some papers for us to copy. It was papers for the Garrison on Graham for people to purchase and put deposits down on condos. The site is still waiting to be rezoned according to the papers, but at least this is a sign that this project is still moving forward.

That's good news. Garrison will be a dream come true for drive-by peeping toms.

Like me.

Oh, and norm, you might want to edit out your employer's name. I don't know what kind of policies they have about privacy and such, but I've heard of people getting fired for posting less than that online.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know any more, but I wish them well. It makes some sense that they are having trouble selling, and are needing to lower the price. Not many people want to be so close to an industrial mill and a major urban freeway.

However, I suspect that the area will see dramatic improvements in the next 5-10 years, as the mill will almost certainly be relocated because of the track changes. Also, if the Citidan gets built, quality development will start popping up along Graham.

Does anyone have any other information about the Garrison Lofts on Graham. They lowered the prices for the second and third stories. They start at $250,000.00 for a 1250 square foot loft with 2 bedrooms. The price per square foot is a good deal inside the beltline.

i think this project was over-priced from the get-go... i have heard nothing about it for awhile. the fact that they would drop prices tells me there isn't that much interest. i personally do not like the design in that location - i think the building's look would suit 3rd ward warehouse district better. but hey, i wish 'em the best.

• 2 weeks later...

i think this project was over-priced from the get-go... i have heard nothing about it for awhile. the fact that they would drop prices tells me there isn't that much interest. i personally do not like the design in that location - i think the building's look would suit 3rd ward warehouse district better. but hey, i wish 'em the best.

The price changes were tied to a spec level change where they altered the features to get the smallest(slowest selling ironically at 1250 feet) into the mid 200K range... They have sold most of the big 2500 sized plans in the low and mid 600K prices. I understand they are one of the only buildings that is sound engineering for the surroundings. Their builder is living there and seems to be making better choices than usual in areas such as parking, elevators and features that impact fees.

They are close to the sales needed to start building and are taking down the scaffolding sometime soon. The agent took me up there, it is an unbelievable view that improves as the other new projects fill in.

Welcome to UP, 28202.

I'm excited to hear that some dirt can move on this project soon. I am fairly confident that if they need just a few more sales that they will be able to get that done. Although some here don't like retro designs, I really like the design of this project.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully, 28202 was right, and this thing is happening!

I have always liked the design of this building, and I think it will contribute very well to the image of entering the city on Brookshire.

There are 39 units in the building and I think that they need about half of the units under contract before they start building, as per the lender's request. They lowered the prices on the 2nd and 3rd levels because of the slow sales on the second and third floors and so they can start the construction which supposedly will take about 15 months. I went up the scaffold and the view is pretty good. They said that they purposely put it nearly up against the CircleK in case it ever gets sold that it would be extremely hard to put anything of size in its place due to the restrictions. They originally tried to purchase the CircleK so they could make the building an L shape facing the uptown but they couldn't do it because the Circle K there is too popular since it is the only gas station in the beltline.

As a purchaser of one of the units, I am certainly hoping construction will begin soon. I was recently told by an unverified source that we were two units away from the lender releasing funds. This thing was supposed to break ground in September, 2005! 12-18 month build time. Someone please buy the last two units and lets get this thing rolling!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They've added a large sign with a rendering on the front of the property. Not much, but its the first activity I've seen there since they put up the fence a month ago.

I pray this is not another "Renwick" in the making. YIKES !!! :(

A2

It does seem like someone is trying to create an illusion of momentum. Put up a tower. Take down a tower. Put up a fence. Put up a sign. None of it has anything to do with construction. (Except, I suppose, that it might convince buyers to provide the money to begin construction.) Does anyone know if they're actually ready to start building?

Archived