Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

This isn't that large of a project, so considering the amount of time it has taken, it seems reasonable that they could have finally met their numbers.

The permits are a whole other issue. I never do quite understand how things get delayed years waiting for permits, considering the designs are done by professionals.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was given false information when I said they were two contracts away from lender releasing funds to begin construction. They are actually more like 10 contracts away from beginning construction I am told by a very reliable source. Expect to see ground broken this summer. As someone said, this is a small project, doesn't have the resources to be able to begin construction w/out the presale limits, and has hit some snags in the flooded uptown condo market in selling units.

Thanks for the update.

I have liked Garrison's design, but I'd imagine with current uptown prices, it will be hard to sell out projects with so many challenges. This is between a gas station, a freeway, an interchange and an industrial plant.

That said, there isn't anything that can't be overcome and be a decent place to live. I hope they can get through the rest of their sales and make the project happen.

I have liked Garrison's design, but I'd imagine with current uptown prices, it will be hard to sell out projects with so many challenges. This is between a gas station, a freeway, an interchange and an industrial plant.

Not to mention a loud freight train barrelling through your living room every 10 minutes or so.

Not to mention a loud freight train barrelling through your living room every 10 minutes or so.

The epitome of urban city living. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update.

That said, there isn't anything that can't be overcome and be a decent place to live. I hope they can get through the rest of their sales and make the project happen.

A few notes:

One of the bigger issues with The Garrison is the parking. They are fantastic units, but if I recall there are only plans for 1 space per bedroom. There is no onstreet parking on Graham, none on 10th either direction except towards Poplar on one side of the road, and a little on Smith Street which is just under a block away. This really limits the attraction for many potential buyers. If only one unit has a dinner party, their guest will have no where to park and Charlotte, unfortunately, doesn't seem ready to walk more than a block or two for anything other that in the immediate center city. I know that is the downside I've heard from many that looked at the place.

I also have a friend under contract there for one of the larger units. They were recently told by the listing agent that they needed 12 more contracts to begin, that "spring advertising" was about to begin, and they 'hoped' to break ground in June. They requested to be released from their contract since the building was supposed to be complete about the same time as they now "hope" to begin. The developer has not "decided" yet and it has been over two weeks since that request. It has now gotten to the stage of lawyer letters.

I hope the project moves forward, but these are not good signs. I would imagine the scaffolding disappeared because they no longer wanted to pay rent for it!

Is one parking space per bedroom a problem? I thought that was pretty standard uptown.

It is standard, but most projects that only provide one space per bedroom have street parking or auxilary parking adjacent to the buildings. In this case, that is your ONLY parking - none really for guests, overflow...don't have too many guests over...

This building is set apart unto itself and Graham is a pretty busy road (I used to work out of The Silos building -- quite familiar with this block) as is 10th Street. Lots of trucking traffic going to the actual Silos and the industrial area behind it, traffic coming on and off 277 -- it isn't a comfortable set of streets to walk on and the sidewalks are right on the road. Traffic on Graham flies by.

Not bashing the project, but it is a tough sell when there are so many other options.

• 1 month later...

Are there anymore updates as to what has been done at the site so far? This project doesn't sound like it is any closer to being built than about 6 months ago.

I've been told that there have been a few more reservations getting the project closer to the minimum needed to break ground. The last I heard, also, was that they were slated to start in June if they did get the minimum needed.

• 5 weeks later...

It's June, where does this project stand?

Still being updated that "almost there with reservations..." but that has been the same we've been told for a couple months now. Hopefully this will get started soon but I suspect it really hasn't changed much since last update. I know that a couple more folks now are trying to get out again since it is so late so I'm sure they are getting frustrated -- get one reservation new, lost one old.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this project dead? I noticed they have removed much of the tape and stakes that were supposed to fool people into believing that the building was close to construction.

I think this project would be great to fill in a nice corner of Uptown, but IMO it is DEAD (at least for the near term)

A2

I think this project would be great to fill in a nice corner of Uptown, but IMO it is DEAD (at least for the near term)

A2

Something there would be great and I love the design of this building -- but the parking is a big issue. I think adjusting the plans there to have adequate parking for residents and visitors would make the sales a little easier. Maybe even going for less high-end larger units and building less expensive units so you aren't trying to sell $400,000+ condos but great efficiencies to folks who would love to be downtown but are currently priced out might help also.

Something there would be great and I love the design of this building -- but the parking is a big issue. I think adjusting the plans there to have adequate parking for residents and visitors would make the sales a little easier. Maybe even going for less high-end larger units and building less expensive units so you aren't trying to sell $400,000+ condos but great efficiencies to folks who would love to be downtown but are currently priced out might help also.

True ^

A2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived