Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five days later, the news of this building permit his the Observer.

I am glad this project appears to be going up now. It will improve the appearance of uptown as you enter from Brookshire. It will remove a big billboard, shield the view of the ugly gas station, and further offset the negative appearance of the grain mill.

Hopefully having more residents on Graham Street will reduce all the vagrancy that the Circle K seems to attract in the area.

Five days later, the news of this building permit his the Observer.

I am glad this project appears to be going up now. It will improve the appearance of uptown as you enter from Brookshire. It will remove a big billboard, shield the view of the ugly gas station, and further offset the negative appearance of the grain mill.

Hopefully having more residents on Graham Street will reduce all the vagrancy that the Circle K seems to attract in the area.

I like the grain mill. It's a piece of history: the final remnant of charlotte's first industrial area. As for the vagrants, I don't know why this would help. It's not like they're developing the other side of the highway.

(Don't get me wrong: I am very excited about this project...)

I don't mind the grain mill. My theory, though, is that regular visitors will also be fine with it if it has new housing next to it Garrison and 626 and Silo Lofts would do the trick.

Once people know it is a grain mill, they seem to be fine with it. But most people think it is a concrete plant (due to the painted brick wall with a concrete company name next door). That conjurs up images of dirty industry that gives people a bad first impression of uptown in my opinion.

It probably won't help the vagrancy that much. But having a homeownership project often leads to more oversight, making them prefer to shift locations to where they have more freedom. I'm not sure what the answer is there, other than fixing the mental health system that puts people on the streets that can barely function. As long as they are mildly friendly, I don't mind them. But most are audacious and the rest are downright nasty.

Part of this problem might be eliminated by the recent demolition of a number of old buildings and warehouses just past the grain mill and under and beside the 277 bridge. Those housed many of the vagrants that hung out at the Circle K. The city, or someone, also made the Circle K cut down the massive shrubs that were beside and behind their property -- there were semi-permanent "camps" there for a while.

I am so glad this project will get started. I think Graham Street could use a bit more "life" as it terminates at 277 -- now it just sort of dwindles down from Gateway.

Now if Citiden would just get started....

I'm not sure what the answer is there, other than fixing the mental health system that puts people on the streets that can barely function. As long as they are mildly friendly, I don't mind them. But most are audacious and the rest are downright nasty.

I regret how often people refer to the problem -- and it is a problem; they are audacious and nasty; and they are miserable -- refer to the problem as something that simply needs to be swept from the streets of Uptown, as if Charlotte will be a better place once the homeless cluster outside I-277.

I know you're not saying that. But as respects your post, I do also wonder what effect the growth of Uptown will have on the problem, whether we might actually see more homeless people and panhandlers drawn here by opportunity. It seems to me denser cities have more of this, not less.

I regret how often people refer to the problem -- and it is a problem; they are audacious and nasty; and they are miserable -- refer to the problem as something that simply needs to be swept from the streets of Uptown, as if Charlotte will be a better place once the homeless cluster outside I-277.

I know you're not saying that. But as respects your post, I do also wonder what effect the growth of Uptown will have on the problem, whether we might actually see more homeless people and panhandlers drawn here by opportunity. It seems to me denser cities have more of this, not less.

I definitely feel horrible for the plight of the homeless, but I hardened to it a bit when I worked in 4th Ward for a while. We had a ground floor office with a door to the sidewalk / street. I actually didn't mind coming to work and seeing the vagrants sleeping on our porch too much until the concrete began to get a permanent smell of urine from repeated p*ssing sessions on our door and walls that would then get into the concrete on the ground. Our planters were constantly filled with garbage, cigarette butts, and all other types of things we had to pick up. Though I understand many or most are probably mentally ill, not trashing peoples property would go a long way to more understanding. I doubt we would ever have said or done anything until we realized they had absolutely no respect for our property or our clients that had to walk through their urine and trash. I am certainly not saying all the homeless are like this, we help feed a few people that live under or near the Freedom Park bridge near my house, but they also don't trash up the area where they live or any neighboring property.

Good points crispin. I actually don't believe homelessness should be hidden, as full visibility actually helps to get people donating to the Urban Ministry and volunteering at the soup kitchens and such. But uptown does bear the burden much more than anywhere else. The issue is not the appearance of them, but their litter, their aggressive behavior and their destruction of property as cn mentions. I hope as the development increases, acceptedness of their antisocial ways will decrease.

Good points crispin. I actually don't believe homelessness should be hidden, as full visibility actually helps to get people donating to the Urban Ministry and volunteering at the soup kitchens and such. But uptown does bear the burden much more than anywhere else. The issue is not the appearance of them, but their litter, their aggressive behavior and their destruction of property as cn mentions. I hope as the development increases, acceptedness of their antisocial ways will decrease.

And I hope, as you've written, that increased disapproval takes the form of structured assistance for these people rather than simple shunting to a less fortunate area.

Agreed. But it doesn't always need to be relocation or assistance. Sometimes simple rejection of certain behavior causes a change in behavior. My point is, the more people tell them, "Please don't as me for money when I'm sitting on my porch" or "Please stop yelling at the top of your lungs for no reason" or "Please stop peeing on my stoop", it actually might get them to stop being antisocial.

Amazingly, if the Garrison and Citadin get going (and from a permitting standpoint, there is indication that they will), then I don't think a single condo project that has begun marketing units will have been cancelled during this current building boom.

I'm not counting TWELVE, because they never really began marketing the place, and their issues don't appear to be financing related.

I had no idea where to post this, but since this project is adjacent to the ADM mills, and they've been mentioned a couple times, I wanted to post this project in Baltimore that shows the potential, if a developer truly wanted to get creative.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=588364

My favorite example of reusing a set of silos is still the Quaker Oats hotel in Akron, Ohio.

My favorite example of reusing a set of silos is still the Quaker Oats hotel in Akron, Ohio.

WOW! that would be amazing - what a creative reuse that looks great. A lot of the brick buildings surrounding the ADM silos are really cool and could easily be reused. A few that have loading docks and train-terminal orientation are especially attractive.

• 3 months later...

Yes I see a new trailer has recently arrived on site inside the fenced area.

I meant to post this yesterday, but I noticed the trailer on Tuesday as well, as well as men on site from Cox & Schepp, it appeared.... looks like it's finally happening! I was getting a bit concerned this project was going to the wayside, especially as demand softens a bit nationally and builders are pulling back some. Glad to see this is going to start turning dirt soon!

I meant to post this yesterday, but I noticed the trailer on Tuesday as well, as well as men on site from Cox & Schepp, it appeared.... looks like it's finally happening! I was getting a bit concerned this project was going to the wayside, especially as demand softens a bit nationally and builders are pulling back some. Glad to see this is going to start turning dirt soon!

Great news! Get some movement on Citiden and Vue and Graham Street will start to really take a new shape.

Great news! Get some movement on Citiden and Vue and Graham Street will start to really take a new shape.

Has anyone noticed if there has been any more progress at the Garrison site? I have not noticed any ... I have placed a few calls (and emails) to both Barnes and their R.E. builder/marketer, from First Charlotte, but have gotten nary a reply. Truthfully, I am wondering if there is going to be an official "groundbreaking ceremony".

Archived