Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

I know it's unlikely to happen, but it would be really nice if a red light (or maybe even two) were put in near these new projects. N. Graham is basically like a drag strip once you get past 277, mostly because there are no lights between 10th and 6th Streets. It's rather dangerous for pedestrians trying to cross the street, and uncomfortable even for those who stay on one side or the other because of the noise and speed of traffic. I can't imagine that Garrison and Citadin, when completed, wouldn't make this problem much much worse. Personally I wouldn't mind even seeing Graham reduced to two lanes and a median put in the middle, though I realize that would be a major pain for commuters trying to get from one end of Uptown to the other.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's unlikely to happen, but it would be really nice if a red light (or maybe even two) were put in near these new projects. N. Graham is basically like a drag strip once you get past 277, mostly because there are no lights between 10th and 6th Streets. It's rather dangerous for pedestrians trying to cross the street, and uncomfortable even for those who stay on one side or the other because of the noise and speed of traffic. I can't imagine that Garrison and Citadin, when completed, wouldn't make this problem much much worse. Personally I wouldn't mind even seeing Graham reduced to two lanes and a median put in the middle, though I realize that would be a major pain for commuters trying to get from one end of Uptown to the other.

Graham is a "load" street similar to sixth and fourth... If Hwy 49 were re-routed to 277 somehow, that would help alleviate some of the speed traffic and trailer noise.

• 1 month later...

I am so happy this project is going to happen. For some reason, to me, that little lot at the end of Graham will add so much to the corridor, especially heading North. As it is, Graham just sort of whithers away to 277, now it will have a nice "end-cap". I also really like the design. Really didn't think this one was going to happen.

I agree that this is a nice 'end-cap'. I think that North Graham needs a resurgence of development interest. 626 Graham added a lot to that area, as did the Silo condos. Garrison will add a new building in what is potentially the worst development site in the area, between Circle K, the ADM plant, and the freeway. It is an area that seems to be a haven for vagrants asking for money, or drinking their 40s under the freeway. Having a building with people looking out over the area puts more eyes on the street, as well as bringing up the area aesthetically.

I had written this project off as dead many times, so it is great to see that they were resilient and were able to make it work.

The Park Plaza building did that for 4th Ward Park. You used to not be able to even park a car there or it would be broken into. After it(the building) filled with people, it wasn't a place where drunk loitering was tolerated or at least not seen and phoned in the the neighborhood police.

I agree, this is a neighborhood changing factor. Before it was purchased by the developer, this was the home camp for many people. clearing and fencing the site already has made an impact.

I also think the timelines for Citidan and NC Music Factory are going to bring a whole new energy to the neighborhood. I don't know the timeline, but the blocks that front the rail line along Smith St. are also supposed to be sold for residential. With the price of land uptown these days, it will have to be densely developed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just drove past the propery and it seems that nothing will happen on the site till that billboard comes down. I don't see how the building and billboard can co-exist. Once that comes down, then I can see some activity occuring there.

The billboard is NOT coming down ever. It will remain and will stand adjacent (and behind) the Garrison building. Also - good little article in the Friends of Fourth Ward Times this week regarding the project's progress.

First Charlotte Properties, the marketing partner, also has a site they are updating every few days with more and more images of the construction as it takes place:

Garrison Photo Album

Thanks for that link....I'm actually glad the billboard is staying...this is something that all older bigger cities have, but Charlotte doesn't....billboards interacting in an urban environment.

Concrete, load-bearing columns have already been poured for over a week now.

Terry Childers reported to me that closings/move-in's will begin taking place as soon/early as August, 2008. Not too bad! I am super excited about the progress ... and only wish the "K" would go away !

JM

It is a Shell now, rather than a 76 or whatever it was before. Now I hope they clean it up some. Half the pumps were out of order, it seemed, and it is always so nasty on the pavement.

The Circle K is a such a hotspot for vagrancy, illegal pan-handling, litter, and general no good. I wonder if the Garrison will help put eyes on the street and help reduce the crime that is associated with the place.

It is a Shell now, rather than a 76 or whatever it was before. Now I hope they clean it up some. Half the pumps were out of order, it seemed, and it is always so nasty on the pavement.

The Circle K is a such a hotspot for vagrancy, illegal pan-handling, litter, and general no good. I wonder if the Garrison will help put eyes on the street and help reduce the crime that is associated with the place.

The vagrancy issue and panhandling on the site have changed dramatically since they cleared the site for The Garrison. The parking lot is still somewhat nasty, but the overall "business" for the place is different than it was just a few months ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived