Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

anyone notice (and I know NOTHING about building construction) that it has become oddly quiet at the Garrison site?

I mean, I have gone by there every morning on my way to work, and there has been NO activity there, oddly enough. Not a worker on site for over a week, nothing moved, no progress since the initial load-bearing columns went up.

Photos on the thegarrisonatgraham.com site (under the link construction photos) have not seen any new photos since Aug 19th - nearly a month ago.

Perhaps just moving into the next phase of construction??

I think you might be right UJ. I hope you arn't, but I checked the Building Inspections website and the last inspection was almost a month ago and they passed it. There doesn't seem to be any holdup on the building inspection or permits. Were any of your sources from Cox & Schepp or the Developer....or is this all second hand info?

What in the world!? Why would they go to the expense of doing what they have done so far just to stop like that? If it is truly dead, why not give the crane people back their crane? This is insanity.

Does anyone know the reasons for all this? Are the banks just saying 'forget it'?

I can understand proposed projects getting canceled, but to see projects under construction just stop in their tracks is really disturbing.

What in the world!? Why would they go to the expense of doing what they have done so far just to stop like that? If it is truly dead, why not give the crane people back their crane? This is insanity.

Does anyone know the reasons for all this? Are the banks just saying 'forget it'?

I can understand proposed projects getting canceled, but to see projects under construction just stop in their tracks is really disturbing.

Reminds me of all the delays at the Smith Curry Condos with the infamous Clock Tower.

On another note -- read a few macroeconomic reports that China right now -- undergoing 10%+ growth -- is just absolutely HOARDING concrete, cement and steel, causing a shortage here in the U.S. Perhaps Garrison is just waiting for the next shipment ??? Am I totally drinking the kool-aid here ?

I would think that would affect future projects, not ones underway. I wouldn't think that one country's building boom could stop everything else. They should have enough supplies to continue for a while at least, not come to a grinding halt without any work for a month.

If I remember correctly, when the construction trailer was moved onto the site and nothing happened for a month everyone speculated that the project wouldn't happen. Then the fence went up and nothing happened and again rumors the project was doomed. Now another slowdown and the rumors are flying that the project is dead. Not every development or developer moves as fast as Novare. There could be a million different reasons for this slowdown. I think it's prudent to wait and see before perpetuating a rumor that the Garrison is dead.

Not sure what relevance this has to the current conversation, but the crane is moving, its not in the same position as when I drove by on 277 this morning.

But who knows the reason for the slow pace, I'll wait to hear more details.

I believe they unhinge the cranes when not in use. This allows them to move around with the wind instead of holding still. I can't remember which building had one up during Hurricane Hugo, but it was interesting to see how well it stood up in the 100 mph gusts.

I believe they unhinge the cranes when not in use. This allows them to move around with the wind instead of holding still. I can't remember which building had one up during Hurricane Hugo, but it was interesting to see how well it stood up in the 100 mph gusts.

There was the one building the expansion to CMC back in 89. I remember watching it spin around like crazy from my apt window (I was 6 yrs old, scared the sh*t out of me).

Just to clear up the rumor mill, the representing Realtor confirmed for me this morning that this project is still on target, just a little construction delay. Also, they will be releasing more units for sale in the next two weeks.

With the constant media gloom and doom, I think it

What exactly does that mean, "releasing more units for sale"? Was demand so great that they held back units till now? I always thought they were having a difficult time moving enough to get this off the ground to begin with.

Dunno what the hold on them was about, but one new unit showed up on the MLS yesterday...

What exactly does that mean, "releasing more units for sale"? Was demand so great that they held back units till now? I always thought they were having a difficult time moving enough to get this off the ground to begin with.

Rather than offering all units in a project at the same time, some developers offer a limited number of units for sale at any one time.

When the first group is almost sold, they offer the second group and so on.

I would speculate that this strategy works well in a slower market because the developer controls the supply/demand/price equation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived