Provi-wood

Cotuit

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Word is Michael Corrente ( director ) will be moving downtown to start filming The Prince of Providence movie soon. All I know.

"Biopic of corrupt ex-mayor, Vincent "Buddy" Cianci Jr., a flawed political genius. His lust for power cost him his marriage, his family, and close friendships. Yet he also revitalized the city of Providence, where ethnic factions jostle with old-moneyed New Englanders and black-clad artists from the Rhode Island School of Design rub shoulders with scam artists from City Hall."

Corrente is mentioned in Stanton's book. After Cianci was convicted, he went to a local hair salon (according to the book). There Corrente caught up with him, and according to Stanton Cianci was repeating Judge Torres' remarks "Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde..." to him. Let's hope Corrente stays truthful to the book; from reading that passage I got the feeling Cianci and Corrente were on a first name basis. We'll see...

After being downtown all day, I'd just be happy with brand new roads, signage, and lining the sidewalks with TREES, and border those trees with one of those mini iron fences. This is applied to the downtown areas known as Federal Hill, College Hill, Waterplace, Capitol Center, Jewelry District, and the downtown financial/theater districts.

I just think it would make the place look and feel 1000 times better, much more so than any 110 or Westin II could ever accomplish. After this task is completed, i'd hope it would bleed into the other neighborhoods as well. That is all that went through my mind today. I spent a good amount of time on Thayer, and I hope the money to revitalize that area is used wisely.

• 4 weeks later...

Providence to possibly serve as the back drop for yet another television series. According to the Hollywood Reporter: "CBS has picked up "Waterfront," a drama pilot from "ER" veteran Jack Orman with Joe Pantoliano attached to star..."Waterfront," from Warner Bros. TV, stars Pantoliano as the wildly charismatic and ethically challenged mayor of Providence, R.I."

The Hollywood Reporter Feb. 24 2006

I wonder what kind of impact a HIT show based in Providence would do for the city. The 'Providence' show we had wasn't drawing in tens of millions each night or anything. But lets say that 'Brotherhood' or this new 'waterfront' show turns out to be the next Friends or American Idol in terms of popularity. What would happen?

I wonder how R.I. would do if every state had the same tax deals?

Producers have said that the small area in which urban, rural, suburban, and coastal locations all exist make RI very attractive, the only thing we lack are mountains, and that's what CGI is for isn't it. So I think if all things were equal, we would still fair well. The important thing is that Hollywood has discovered us now, and favorable tax structure or no, they like what they see.

http://www.pbn.com/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/119799

Underdog movie seeks local extras

There's no need to fear. LDI Casting is holding an open call for "background performers," or extras, for the Walt Disney Studios/Spyglass Entertainment film Underdog.

The call is Saturday, March 11, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Department of Administration Building, 1 Capitol Hill, Providence. Bring a recent photo of yourself the producers can keep.

http://www.ldicasting.net/

I wonder what kind of impact a HIT show based in Providence would do for the city. The 'Providence' show we had wasn't drawing in tens of millions each night or anything. But lets say that 'Brotherhood' or this new 'waterfront' show turns out to be the next Friends or American Idol in terms of popularity. What would happen?

OK. Waterfront is a pilot so it may never happen and The Brotherhood is on Showtime, which is a premium (pay cable) network whose latest strikeouts include Weeds (the marijuana-dealing soccer mom) and The L Word, which might as well stand for Loser. I met many of the crew from The Brotherhood, and the show is written much like The Sopranos which is intriguing. The problem is nobody will see it because HBO is everywhere and Showtime isn't. I'll have to get it next year on Netflix like I do with The Sopranos. :(

If Waterfront is picked up by CBS, I'll guarantee at least one thing... Buddy WILL BE watching!

OK. Waterfront is a pilot so it may never happen and The Brotherhood is on Showtime, which is a premium (pay cable) network whose latest strikeouts include Weeds (the marijuana-dealing soccer mom) and The L Word, which might as well stand for Loser.

Uhm , not to say that I wouldnt like something higher profile, but both The L word and Weeds have been pretty successfull and are certainly high quality shows.

Archived