Provi-wood

Cotuit

I really disagree that the MTV decision was about NIMBYism. If it was, than it was about exactly the kind of stuff none of us wants in our BY.

Have you seen the drunken bulls**t that goes on in downtown Newport and around the beaches in Middletown in the summer? If you remember, someone was killed last year as a result of druken shoving between college students. It's a total drain on the resources of those communities, and makes the place unattractive for those of us who like to spend our summer doing something besides getting in fights with a bunch of drunk and vomiting meatheads.

If you'd ever had a bunch of frat boys puking on your driveway, pissing in your yard, and screaming outside your bedroom window at 3 in the morning, you'd probably feel different about the benefits of MTV advertising your neighborhood. MTV's presence would only make the area a magnet for more of that same kind of behavior- I think we are better off without Newport and Middletown becoming more like "Spring Break Rhode Island" than they already are.

I have to agree. MTV is not really what Newport and Middletown are going for. They want to attract more monied tourists and they don't want MTVs antics scaring off their target clientele.

We had MTVs summer beach house on the Cape one summer when I was in high school. It turned out to be a total bust for MTV since in was one of the coldest and rainiest summers we ever had. They had Downtown Julie Brown on Craigville Beach in a parka with an umbrella. :lol: I think the town fathers were happy that it didn't end up with more drunken frat kids coming our way than we already had.

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really disagree that the MTV decision was about NIMBYism. If it was, than it was about exactly the kind of stuff none of us wants in our BY.

Have you seen the drunken bulls**t that goes on in downtown Newport and around the beaches in Middletown in the summer? If you remember, someone was killed last year as a result of druken shoving between college students. It's a total drain on the resources of those communities, and makes the place unattractive for those of us who like to spend our summer doing something besides getting in fights with a bunch of drunk and vomiting meatheads.

If you'd ever had a bunch of frat boys puking on your driveway, pissing in your yard, and screaming outside your bedroom window at 3 in the morning, you'd probably feel different about the benefits of MTV advertising your neighborhood. MTV's presence would only make the area a magnet for more of that same kind of behavior- I think we are better off without Newport and Middletown becoming more like "Spring Break Rhode Island" than they already are.

I agree and disagree here. Maybe Newport/Middletown wasn't the best choice for location.. Providence is probably best suited for a reality show, but I doubt the residents even gave MTV a chance to present a compromise. Newport isn't exactly perfect-city USA, Salve Regina parties can match up to Brown's "national attention getters".. I've been there. I think this was a case of nimbyism. That is just my opinion.. I don't travel to Newport too often though. ;) just that one night :P

I have to agree. MTV is not really what Newport and Middletown are going for. They want to attract more monied tourists and they don't want MTVs antics scaring off their target clientele.

Oh believe me, many of those frat boys (and 30-somethings reliving their college days) are plenty monied- they do spend thousands of dollars a week to rent summer houses there, after all. I hardly think the money was the issue the Middletown folks were objecting to- I bet most of them would take a carload of low-income kids out for a day at the beach long before a partyhouse full of monied jerks out for a raging summer.

i heard that wesley bought one of the pent condos at 110.... although i cannot confirm this.... it might be true

I know the answer to where this rumour started, but I can't really say what the answer is, suffice to say, he did not buy anything at OneTen.

Oh believe me, many of those frat boys (and 30-somethings reliving their college days) are plenty monied- they do spend thousands of dollars a week to rent summer houses there, after all.

Oh they certainly do spend plenty of money, but the cost of responding to their antics and the other money their antics drive away is the problem.

Kind of like the teenagers who spend money in the mall, but the fact that they are their and their behavior that potentially drives away other customers.

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the news last night the anchor said something about a Wesley Snipes getaway scene being shot downtown @ 12am. Might be why you didn't see anything at 6:30p.

They were definitely shooting late. I left pub quiz at RiRa around 10:30 and they had the whole area cordoned off.

Well, it's not usually this cold/snowy this early in southern New England. Though last year we did get half a foot in November. When I was heading home last night they had a front end loader and a large dump truck at the end of the tunnel, removing snow from South Main. Now we just need a movie filmed in every other neighbourhood on every street, and our snow removal problems will be gone.

Well, it's not usually this cold/snowy this early in southern New England. Though last year we did get half a foot in November. When I was heading home last night they had a front end loader and a large dump truck at the end of the tunnel, removing snow from South Main. Now we just need a movie filmed in every other neighbourhood on every street, and our snow removal problems will be gone.

I'm thinking a giant tarp over the city during storms.

Couple of weeks ago, I was waiting for a table at India in EP. I was looking at random people and saw a guy who looked just like Mario Van P. I became convinced it was him, and I was very, "Huh. Lookit that. Mario Van... hold on one second... THAT guy looks just like Wesley Snipes!

BLADE!!! BLADE IS HERE!! Woo!!"

I said to my girlfriend, "Blade is here!".

She replied, "Yes. That's nice. Shut up, won't you?"

I knew nothing about the filming as I work in a hellish support group and have no daily contact with the outside world and by then end of the day I'm mostly too blown-out to follow up on the news.

Today, I'm sick, so I actually feel pretty good!

Archived