IN PROGRESS: Chapel View (Sockanossett School)

Cotuit

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They also just opened a Bombay Company store in this complex. Which is kinda odd to me, because I thought Bombay was shrinking, not expanding.

I actually frequent the new Shaws there a lot, finding it better stocked and cleaner than Eagle Sq. I divide my time between WF in University Heights and this Shaws. With a WF going there, my trips to University WF will probably be a lot less.

Which is rather sad that I live in Providence but go to Garden City for my groceries.

They also just opened a Bombay Company store in this complex. Which is kinda odd to me, because I thought Bombay was shrinking, not expanding.

I actually frequent the new Shaws there a lot, finding it better stocked and cleaner than Eagle Sq. I divide my time between WF in University Heights and this Shaws. With a WF going there, my trips to University WF will probably be a lot less.

Which is rather sad that I live in Providence but go to Garden City for my groceries.

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the area of Garden City closest to Chapel View. The area where it becomes truly strip mall-ie with the Circuit City or whatever it is. Neither Chapel View nor Garden City are truly urban or walkable, they're both faux, but it would be nice to not have to drive from one to the other.

the area closest to Chapel View is (from left to right) Circuit City, Cohoes, Iparty (a few smaller stores) Borders, and Office Max.. definately not walkable like the beginning on Garden City.

The are is really hilly though between the two shopping centers.. maybe an underground walkway could be built?

they really could do some more development in the parking lot. In VA where i lived for 4 months and was shopping center mecca, there were very few strip plazas, there were DOUBLE strip plazas, with little driving paths between. They were walkable once you parked, but you couldn't walk TO them (You can't walk TO anything in NoVA) but they managed to fit a lot more stores and restaurants in the same footprint. There were grassy areas, and a band shell, and trees and benches and it was quite pleasant, kind of like a little village square of shops. I think they could do that with the strippy part of Garden City...

Having some insight on how organizations work (as do you), we both know that this can literally be as simple as someone with decision making capability in the Trader Joes home office who had a bad experience in Providence 20 years ago. Who knows what happened to this person? Maybe in college coming here to go to a bar he or she was pan handled by a few homeless guys and now says, "Providence? That place is a dump! We're not going to open anything there on my watch..."

- Garris

I was going to suggest earlier that it may be Providence's past reputation which prevents some businesses from locating here, not to mention the tax situation and business climate. If you notice, there are a lot of national chains that open up locations in CT, MA and other New England states, but not in RI. Why?

i think anyone who knows anything about RI knows that there's no such thing as too much of anything. We've got more liquor stores, more dunkin donuts, more who knows what than anyone else and they all seem to survive.

I would imagine the tj's demographic to be urban, upper middle class, well educated. However, stuff is a hell of a lot cheaper at TJs than at Stop and Shop (trader joes brand stuff--frozen veggies for example) and certainly whole foods, so the demographic could easily be lower middle class, high school education. I could easily see the art kids, and college students and everyone who works an entry level job shopping at TJs.

I'm not economist or numbers guy but i still don't understand why there isn't a trader joes here, or in Seekonk, or Cranston, or Barrington or even Newport. They need to do that thing that they do at all the millions of other big box stores--ask for your zip code so they can figure out who is coming from where to shop.

in the meantime, i still head up once a month and drop some serious cabbage at the Needham store and do supplemental shopping at the local places.

there are actually a lot of articles out there on this topic. Stores that are in richer areas are actually a lot cheaper than poorer areas. Not everything, but quite a lot. Reasons given range from easier distribution to the more base reason of the fact that rich people complaints are heard and resolved more than poor people's.

Archived