IN PROGRESS: Chapel View (Sockanossett School)

Cotuit

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen this a couple times, and it looks to me like those structures are the stairwells for a parking garage. You can see the door cutouts, and I assume if it was a typical building they would build the stairs as they built the floors, but parking garages may be different.

This development is so stupid. It's basically like throwing some housing into any of the strip plazas on Route 2. I guess it's better than living on a cul-de-sac miles from civilization but I still would not want to live here. I can't believe the Cranston planner (now the head of Statewide Planning btw) was so excited and proud of this project.

Mashpee Commons shows that the Chapel View model can be done better, there just needs to be a will to do it. Chapel View is just an island of faux villageness surrounded by highspeed roadways and removed from the surrounding community. Mashpee Commons is trying to create a community and a center where one never existed before. I was down at Mashpee Commons two summers ago and they had put in crosswalks and walk signals on Route 28 and Route 151. I nearly crashed the car, people walking on the Cape, that's unpossible!

Mashpee Commons shows that the Chapel View model can be done better, there just needs to be a will to do it. Chapel View is just an island of faux villageness surrounded by highspeed roadways and removed from the surrounding community. Mashpee Commons is trying to create a community and a center where one never existed before. I was down at Mashpee Commons two summers ago and they had put in crosswalks and walk signals on Route 28 and Route 151. I nearly crashed the car, people walking on the Cape, that's unpossible!

I'm just glad that I will finally be able to fulfill my dream of living in an overpriced condo in a building where unknown atrocities were commited against children AND with a beautiful view of a prison yard. SCORE!

Now if only a Grizzlebee's that only served bison were to open in the parking lot....

This development is so stupid. It's basically like throwing some housing into any of the strip plazas on Route 2. I guess it's better than living on a cul-de-sac miles from civilization but I still would not want to live here. I can't believe the Cranston planner (now the head of Statewide Planning btw) was so excited and proud of this project.

I'm just glad that I will finally be able to fulfill my dream of living in an overpriced condo in a building where unknown atrocities were commited against children AND with a beautiful view of a prison yard. SCORE!

Now if only a Grizzlebee's that only served bison were to open in the parking lot....

• 2 weeks later...
Recchia, "Cranston" and "planning" don't belong in the same breath.

I agree about the sidewalks. They were seriously lacking before this project. Another decent feature in Chapel-View is all the new masonry around the perimeter. That was no easy feat. And at least they made an effort to save one gigantic Beech tree.

But sadly, the project falls way short of its potential. It's still a car-dominated parking lot no matter how you market it, and it doesn't seem to fit into any larger-scale Cranston plan (if such a plan even exists).

i dont mean to sound short, i just dont have a lot of time to post these days... but the project is meant to be car-oriented, so how does it fall short of its potential? it seems your objectives and their objectives do not match. i bet it becomes wildly profitable...

taking on the risk of going urban in one of the most suburban place in the whole state would be something very unlikely from the developer... the numbers that would entice banks to invest in the project's financing come from the fact that its on the main automobile thoroughfares of route 2, 37, and sockanosset crsrds, within close proximity to route 95, rt 295, downtown prov and TF green airport

taste for the decor, the exterior and interior design may vary, but for where its located, i think its a decent showing, especially since they incorporated the old structures in a historic-preservation-wacky state

i dont know how it is from the apartments, but the view of the state in all directions is very cool from this spot... id have like to seen that incorporated somehow if it hasnt already

i dont mean to sound short, i just dont have a lot of time to post these days... but the project is meant to be car-oriented, so how does it fall short of its potential? it seems your objectives and their objectives do not match. i bet it becomes wildly profitable...

taking on the risk of going urban in one of the most suburban place in the whole state would be something very unlikely from the developer... the numbers that would entice banks to invest in the project's financing come from the fact that its on the main automobile thoroughfares of route 2, 37, and sockanosset crsrds, within close proximity to route 95, rt 295, downtown prov and TF green airport

taste for the decor, the exterior and interior design may vary, but for where its located, i think its a decent showing, especially since they incorporated the old structures in a historic-preservation-wacky state

i dont know how it is from the apartments, but the view of the state in all directions is very cool from this spot... id have like to seen that incorporated somehow if it hasnt already

I think we can all agree it's improvement for suburbia, given that its residents CAN walk to amenities if they wanted to. How many do you think will drive to Garden City though... The problem I see with these developments is, that when you have "mixed use" with an abundance of surface parking, it basically means you live in a typical suburban shopping plaza. Who in the hell would want to live in a parking lot?

I don't disagree that it will probably be wildly profitable. And I don't disagree that the work they've done up to now can be considered a "decent showing."

The very fact that it's a purely automobile-based project is what disappoints me. You don't sound short. It's simply a matter of a difference in values.

Just something I noticed, I was there last night, and to be honest the bigging parking surface isnt all that bad, its nice and closed in.. almost like a village for lack of a better term. But what really got me, is behind hte apartments, outside the back windows you can see the training school, it is literally 10-15 feet away, you think they would of did something else about that no?

Just something I noticed, I was there last night, and to be honest the bigging parking surface isnt all that bad, its nice and closed in.. almost like a village for lack of a better term. But what really got me, is behind hte apartments, outside the back windows you can see the training school, it is literally 10-15 feet away, you think they would of did something else about that no?

Archived