IN PROGRESS: Chapel View (Sockanossett School)

Cotuit

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was out here last week (I had to go to the ACI for something, which says a lot about the general area I suppose). This area is such a wasteland, crisscrossed with high speed roadways (what's the point of Route 37 exactly?). I think the problem with the residential component of this is the sense of community. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there long enough to develop a community. It may be a convenient, even nice (in so far as the units will likely be nice) place to live for a while. But people will want to settle elsewhere. No one is looking to settle down in a stripmall, surrounded by stripmalls and a prison.

I was out here last week (I had to go to the ACI for something, which says a lot about the general area I suppose). This area is such a wasteland, crisscrossed with high speed roadways (what's the point of Route 37 exactly?). I think the problem with the residential component of this is the sense of community. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live there long enough to develop a community. It may be a convenient, even nice (in so far as the units will likely be nice) place to live for a while. But people will want to settle elsewhere. No one is looking to settle down in a stripmall, surrounded by stripmalls and a prison.

i was with the folks from REI this weekend at Festival of Trees, and i asked why they chose to put the store down there, rather than someplace else (like Providence) and she said that their real estate people said that Providence was entirely too expensive. The manager also said that their store was supposed to be finished last month and now they aren't even sure if the devleoper will get it done by march, which is when they are opening, and they (REI) tried very hard to get the developer to make their building "green" and they had absolutely no interest in that. which is too bad. You should have seen the look on her face when i told her about how they cut down all the trees on that site.

:(

but the good news is that i think i talked her into living in Providence.

i was with the folks from REI this weekend at Festival of Trees, and i asked why they chose to put the store down there, rather than someplace else (like Providence) and she said that their real estate people said that Providence was entirely too expensive. .

Interestingly enough, the Pontiac East condos on Pontiac Ave (or is it East Street or Mayfield Ave by then?) are now down to 110k for a one bedroom. I went through the parking lot and there seemed to be maybe 5 condos actually lived in. If this is any predictor of how Chapel View will do then it doesn't look too good. Of course Chapel View isn't DIRECTLY next to a Waste Management Plant...

• 2 weeks later...
The old Shaws closed two months ago or more now, and the Whole Foods sign has been up at least 2 weeks. There doesn't really seem to much going on in there, despite the construction trailers in the parking lot. I walk by there a couple times a week (gotta work somewhere, even if it is in Cranston!).

that old shaws was a mess, but the folks who worked there were really friendly. And to support this area further, let me tell you that Pet Supplies Plus is a great place for pet supplies (hence the name, i guess) i don't know if it is a franchise or what (i think i've seen at least one other one somewhere else) but it has good prices on cat litter, dog treats and bones etc. The staff is not remotely helpful, but i usually know what i want when i go there anyway.

Pet Supplies Plus is a great place for pet supplies (hence the name, i guess) i don't know if it is a franchise or what (i think i've seen at least one other one somewhere else) but it has good prices on cat litter, dog treats and bones etc. The staff is not remotely helpful, but i usually know what i want when i go there anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived