Most Popular sport in the south

brewerw

What is the most popular sport in the south?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What is the most popular sport in the south?

• Football
    • Baseball
    • Basketball
    • Lacross
    • Hockey

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes... football can be enjoyable as long as your team wins. Football is a sport for the emotions, and people get very into it (myself apparently). I wonder how many people (other than me) on this forum have played the game? Wonderful game! What is so great about the South is college football. I think in the north they are more into pro, but college is really big here in the South.

Football

Great Quotes. Just replace Texas with South.

"Football's so important in Texas. On the West Coast, it's a social. On the East Coast, it's a culture. Here, it's a religion."

-- Major Applewhite

"There are only two sports in Texas: football and spring football"

-- Former Texas Sports Information Director Jones Ramsey

"If you want to surf, move to Hawaii. If you like to shop, move to New York. If you like acting and Hollywood, move to California. But if you like college football, move to Texas."

-- Ricky Williams

Interesting question. Three points though:

A) Where is NASCAR in states like North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia parts of 'bama and Mississippi, Georgia and Florida it is much much bigger then football.

B ) Some areas of the south (Augusta, Jacksonville, West Palm etc.) Golf is the biggest sport around

C) Football purisits know there is a MAJOR difference between College Football and NFL Football, take out Metro Atlanta in Georgia or take Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas and its the college game people watch not the NFL no matter how good the NFL teams are.

NASCAR, Golf and College Football really are sports I think that define the south in certain areas.

I would venture to guess that it is a tie between NASCAR and College Football with the NFL and Golf a tie for distant thirds.

^ if attendance was the only measuring stick that counted in sports, unfortunately endorsements, TV revenue and ad sales count as much if not more. When all is considered some TV markets in the south actually see NASCAR as the bigger seller, take North Carolina and Virginia, NASCAR would outsell UNC, WF, Virginia, etc. anyday of the week, wouldn't it?

Interesting question.  Three points though:

A) Where is NASCAR in states like North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia parts of 'bama and Mississippi, Georgia and Florida it is much  much bigger then football.

B ) Some areas of the south (Augusta, Jacksonville, West Palm etc.) Golf is the biggest sport around

C) Football purisits know there is a MAJOR difference between College Football and NFL Football, take out Metro Atlanta in Georgia or take Alabama, Mississippi or Arkansas and its the college game people watch not the NFL no matter how good the NFL teams are.

NASCAR, Golf and College Football really are sports I think that define the south in certain areas.

I would venture to guess that it is a tie between NASCAR and College Football with the NFL and Golf a tie for distant thirds.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nascar and golf don't come anywhere close to Football, in any area of Florida, especially Jacksonville. Those two activities (personally, I don't even consider them sports) are split along racial lines. However, football is the one that drives just about everyone crazy here. Just look at the popularity of North Florida colleges like FSU and UF. Like Texas and Louisiana, high school ball is pretty big as well.

NASCAR and Golf not sports? I don't think we're looking at the same figures . . . not pushing this as "the answer" I do feel college football is the biggest but tied, the NFL in the south is a little less, Texas and Florida to me have strong traditions with the NFL but you go into Louisiana, SC, Alabama and non-metro Georgia its all the college game. Interesting question I like this topic.

Football easily, with basketball and nascar running behind. I might put golf distantly behind those three sports, but it seems to be a sport mostly enjoyed by the upper middle and upper classes.

Amazingly, baseball might be the least followed and talked about sport, even behind hockey. This is quite a contrast to the northeast, where baseball seems to be the most popular even though it's the most boring IMO.

I think the real poll would be, what's more popular.  NFL or college.  I'd have to go with College in the south.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, most likely because most Southerners don't live in a town with the NFL but many have been or are related to someone who has been to a college here.

The demolition derby used to be quite big, (used to be carried on the ABC Wide World of Sports) but it has fallen by the wayside now. I guess it is because cars are so expensive and don't hold up.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard that the derby and NASCAR orginiated from the Moonshiners trying to move their product.  Gotta love the south! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i found out that my great grandparents in east tennessee used to be moonshiners. i expect a check from nascar car any day now ;) i think that college is bigger than pro in the south. pro has taken off however. i know when we got the titans, the state of tennessee was out buying up all of the gear. we do have several pro teams too. titans, falcons, jaguars, panthers, cowboys, texans, dolphins, buccaneers. oh yeah, us tennessee vols fans have been trying to push a merger with nascar for years. i think it was sterling marlin who did it first by having a ut car once. but there have been talks about having a ut game at bristol motor speedway. don't get me wrong, neyland stadium is huge with 108,000 people, but we're talking 150,000 people. beat that michigan. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Yes... football can be enjoyable as long as your team wins. Football is a sport for the emotions, and people get very into it (myself apparently). I wonder how many people (other than me) on this forum have played the game? Wonderful game! What is so great about the South is college football. I think in the north they are more into pro, but college is really big here in the South.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that I replied to this but I guess that I did not. Well I did play football for seven years and started both ways on the line. I played offensive tackle mostly on offense and defensive end on defense. It was probably one of the most enjoyable times that I have had in high school.

• 1 month later...

Football is most definetly the most popular sport in the south.

Nascar is limited by its schedule. They don't have but maybe 2 races a week where as football has 16 games a week while the other major sports have up to 64 games a week.

While golf is popular, it too is limited by schedule and by its demographics as well.

Your description is a nice try Spartan but makes it seem like a little girl sport.

Lacrosse is just as violent as football but with the skill of baseball on a soccer size field. Hockey would be more viable comparison in my opinion.

It's also the oldest American sport (was originally played by Native Americans) and the national sport of Canada. It's more popular in the middle atlantic region, especially NY and MD, but it's growing by leaps and bounds in places like NC, MI, FL, CO, TX etc etc...

this picture found online will give you an idea...

ilfg0606_2_02.jpg

Archived