Tear down Historic Houses for Condos?

monsoon

Should Charlotte Approve the demolition of historic houses for condo development?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should Charlotte Approve the demolition of historic houses for condo development?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

What about that HUGE Cemetary, lets move that.  It takes up a good chunk of uptown space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um...

wood, nails, and paint are a lot easier and less emotional to relocate than people's dead ancestors and grand mothers.

Besides, if uptown didn't have the cemetary, where would people poop their dogs or jog?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because something is old doesn't make it historic in any meaningful sense. There are already two houses more representative of the neighborhood preserved at the African American Center in 1st ward. Also, denying people the right to sell their homes for a reasonable price is ludacris.

Charlotte has plenty of land to build on in Uptown. It may not be in the best of the best part, but I certainly dont condone destroying what little history is left in Charlotte for the "prime spot" in CC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the suggestion was more theoretical and/or tongue in cheek. The army of the confederacy would rise up to stop any attempt at moving those graves in real life.

They are going to have a heck of a time widening 77 when the time comes. That weird dude that goes to all the city council meetings and reminds them that they will surely die if the think about disrupting the graves there.

What's the story of these homes? Someone lived in them, they were sold or passed on, and someone else lived in them, etc.....and now the people want to sell them because they either don't wish to renovate them or cannot afford to renovate them.

Is the vinyl siding house I used to rent out near the arboreteum one day going to be considered historic because it represents how massive white flight led to quickly built cheap vinyl siding neighborhoods.

I'm not an anti-preservationist, but come on.....should they have left Earl Village too because it was an important phase in a neighborhoods transformation.

And yes, by limiting what can be done with a persons property is affecting their property values......I didn't say they were blocking the sell of their houses.....I said for a fair value.

But earlier you said this about the properties

"Since the Meck Historical Commision decided not to classify these as historical then I am not going to protest the rezoning."

Did something happen that changed your opinion that somehow these buildings were not worth saving to something now that "tells a story".

BTW, the birthplace of the only US President from this area, Andrew Jackson is unknown and typical fashion not saved.

LOL...ever been to Pineville....ever heard of President Polk?

And as you pointed out with Andrew Jackson...its hard to save a home if you have no idea where it is.

My opinions on the rezoning did change after I saw how the developer was treating the people in the neighborhood....sueing them to get them to shut up...Also the site plan and details on the project kept on changing...and when I saw the rendering that showed them as 3 stories and brick with flat roofs...that it would stick out like a sore thumb on that street...thats when my opinon of the project changed.

My opinions on the rezoning did change after I saw how the developer was treating the people in the neighborhood....sueing them to get them to shut up...Also the site plan and details on the project kept on changing...and when I saw the rendering that showed them as 3 stories and brick with flat roofs...that it would stick out like a sore thumb on that street...thats when my opinon of the project changed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh ok so the reasons really don't have anything to do with historic value. Instead it is to keep an unappealing condo from being built. Now that doesn't sound quite fair to the landowners. Will be interesting to see how the re-zoning petition ends up.

I guess it depends on the architectural quality of these homes. If some significant event happened in these homes or the immediate area, then its unfortunate to see these homes go for another random, typical low grade construction townhome or condo development. Uptown is loaded with surface parking lots so it shouldn't be that hard to work around historical sites. Charlotte should try to save just about every siginificant historic building it has because the city really lacks in that department and the preservation of building types from past eras really adds to the character and quality of life of a city.

Charlotte should try to save just about every siginificant historic building it has because the city really lacks in that department and the preservation of building types from past eras really adds to the character and quality of life of a city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Alas, there are none left downtown.

The porblem with the homes is this......there is nothing special about them except for they are the only orignal single-family homes still occupied in 1st Ward. Some aren't in their original location, some have aluminum siding now.....they are all in various tates of disrepair. As uptownliving has pointed out, some of the nicer examples have been moved to 4th Ward. Saving a relatively insignificant house out of guilt for bulldozing hundreds of similar houses decades ago just doesn't make sense.

As far as Polk house.....the house now is a recreation.....his original birthplace was several miles away and destroyed decades ago.

AnEverydayJo said it best.....we can sacrifice a bit of history for the sake of open space preservation.

Lakelander......all those parking lots are zoned to accept skyscrapers with no height limit and their owners are pricing them as such. It is not economically feasible to do low-mid-rise on those sites unless they are unrealistically expensive.

These homes are not the only original single family houses still occupied in First Ward...there are a couple more on Brevard and McDowell, which the Historical Commision has already classfied them as Historical.

Even the Historical Commision recognizes that the story of these homes on 8th is important in the history of Charlotte....don't be surprised if the remaining homes on 8th become officially desginated as historical homes in the coming years.

Lakelander......all those parking lots are zoned to accept skyscrapers with no height limit and their owners are pricing them as such.  It is not economically feasible to do low-mid-rise on those sites unless they are unrealistically expensive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw plenty of parcels available for low rise development in Uptown, this past summer. I not going to act like I know Charlotte very well, but I find it hard to believe that this is the last piece of land available for low rise condos. Does anyone know of any websites where I can learn about the history of the First Ward?

Archived