Is Greenville becoming a big city?

motonenterprises

Hello everyone. Just wanted to make an introduction before my first post. I work in downtown Greenville with a development firm who does restaurant development all over the southeast, but we also dabble in other retail and some residential.

I am one of the few people that I meet these days who grew up in Greenville and it has been a real joy to watch it become a unique and diverse city over the last ten to twelve years. I love hanging out downtown and hearing people speaking German, Dutch or Japanese. I love seeing people walking around downtown with cameras, and I guess the true test of how much I enjoy Greenville is that I have worked downtown for six years now and I never get tired of going outside and looking at the city.

There is a lot to look forward to for Greenville but the post above I think touched on one issue that Greenville needs to address. Some people call it the coolness factor, but really what it boils down to, is being attractive to the younger creative class of people. I think that some developments in the west end might help us retain some of the creative talent as opposed to them leaving for Charlotte or Atlanta, but I think the city has profited from some great leadership in the past and the growth stratagy that has been planned has worked great for downtown so I dont think the city should do anything drastic to attract one group of people. If growth continues like it has, the coolness factor will take care of itself.

Wow..that was a long rant. Anyway to the question at hand. Is Greenville becoming a Big City?

I think the answer is...hopefully something better. The only reason I say this is because I spend so much time in Atlanta and Charlotte and each of those cities generates a new Greenville every two years. I am not sure that kind of growth is anything to be proud of, especially in Atlanta where they have no sense of urban living and after six downtown turns into a ghostown.

The people of Greenville just need to enjoy the ride and see what this city can become, hopefully it is something different and more appealing than just a big city. Doing what I do for a living I am all about growth but it does not have to be big to be great.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum Gviller! Nice to have you.

As for the coolness factor, I think that what Greenville needs to work on is valueing diversity and making everyone feel welcome.

Everytime I go to Asheville, it is like another world from Greenville. Downtown Asheville is teaming with every type of pedestrian imagineable. Yuppies, hippies, bohemenians, young and old, every style of dress imagineable. Everyone seems to peacefully co-exist with no staring or pointing or any of it being a big deal.

Such an environment is condusive to creativity and entrepenuership. Greenville really needs an image makeover in that respect.

Hello everyone. Just wanted to make an introduction before my first post. I work in downtown Greenville with a development firm who does restaurant development all over the southeast, but we also dabble in other retail and some residential.

I am one of the few people that I meet these days who grew up in Greenville and it has been a real joy to watch it become a unique and diverse city over the last ten to twelve years. I love hanging out downtown and hearing people speaking German, Dutch or Japanese. I love seeing people walking around downtown with cameras, and I guess the true test of how much I enjoy Greenville is that I have worked downtown for six years now and I never get tired of going outside and looking at the city.

There is a lot to look forward to for Greenville but the post above I think touched on one issue that Greenville needs to address. Some people call it the coolness factor, but really what it boils down to, is being attractive to the younger creative class of people. I think that some developments in the west end might help us retain some of the creative talent as opposed to them leaving for Charlotte or Atlanta, but I think the city has profited from some great leadership in the past and the growth stratagy that has been planned has worked great for downtown so I dont think the city should do anything drastic to attract one group of people. If growth continues like it has, the coolness factor will take care of itself.

Wow..that was a long rant. Anyway to the question at hand. Is Greenville becoming a Big City?

I think the answer is...hopefully something better. The only reason I say this is because I spend so much time in Atlanta and Charlotte and each of those cities generates a new Greenville every two years. I am not sure that kind of growth is anything to be proud of, especially in Atlanta where they have no sense of urban living and after six downtown turns into a ghostown.

The people of Greenville just need to enjoy the ride and see what this city can become, hopefully it is something different and more appealing than just a big city. Doing what I do for a living I am all about growth but it does not have to be big to be great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Gviller, welcome!

I love your statement "hopefully it is something different and more appealing than just a big city"....I think that's why I love Greenville.....it's been marching to the beat of it's own drum for awhile. Greenville has developed a downtown that is truely unique, not just an "also-ran" full of steel and glass. It's all about quality, not quantity.

Does Greenville need more of the Creative Class? Yes. But I think that's happening. Are we to the Charlottesville, Boulder, or Austin level yet? No, but well on the way. Seems Greenville's planning years ago paved the way for the high quality of life we have today. I think what has been started, along with the location near the mountains, will continue to draw more of the Creative Class and continue to solidify GV's unique characteristics as a quality city (not a big city).

Great post, Gviller! :D Welcome and well met indeed.

You have touched on a very good point regarding Greenville's appeal to its "future" along with its "now." The city has come an incredible distance within the creative arts/design world, many of whom have found a home in the West End. I look forward to witnessing the city's dream of an Arts & Entertainment district fully develop in this region of downtown. What has already been done here, has become a tremendous help in the extention of the vibrant Main Street feeling. :)

I Look forward to your future posts! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Thanks gsupstate! I had a hard time locating it through search. Now, this question needs to be looked at again. I will answer it for myself. Yes! Greenville is becoming a big city. It may take a while, but it is definetly a hot bed thats on its way. Landing cosmopolitan restuarants like PF Changs, Mimi's, and Red Robin looks to be a sure hit. Also landing Drury Inn and I'm sure there are others I am surely missing. Businesses continue to locate here creating jobs. And neighborhoods and condos galore are popping up. Its growing and fast! Despite what city population numbers may look like. One only needs to take a trip to Greenville to see its booming hard right now! Thoughts appreciated.

Greenville in every way feels like a major city. I lived in Birmingham for years and can tell you everyday life here feels the same....B'ham Metro is around 1.2 mil and Upstate is around 1.2 mil. I've also lived in Dallas, DC and a couple of other very large cities. While Greenville obviously doesn't feel as large as those cities, it's quality of life is superior. Is Greenville becoming a large city? Population, no. (city limit annex thing) Attitude and content, yes.

Greenville is undoubtedly booming, and to many it is already a big city. I am excited about the continual changes being made to the entire region - especially my home city, Greenville. There can be no doubt that this place is on fire socially and economically. There is an irresistable charm or vibe that never fails to capture the hearts of first-time visitors. And now many longtime residents are awakening to the same appeal. The future is growing brighter everyday. :shades:

Wow, this is an old thread. :)

I guess it just depends on your definition of "big." To me, a big city has an urbanized area population of at least 1 million. Using that criteria, as of the 2000 figures, there is not one big city in the Carolinas. Charlotte doesn't even come across as a big city to me, but rather a large mid-sized city. I consider Greenville a medium mid-sized city that will eventually become a large mid-sized city within a few years.

Wow, this is an old thread. :)

I guess it just depends on your definition of "big." To me, a big city has an urbanized area population of at least 1 million. Using that criteria, as of the 2000 figures, there is not one big city in the Carolinas. Charlotte doesn't even come across as a big city to me, but rather a large mid-sized city. I consider Greenville a medium mid-sized city that will eventually become a large mid-sized city within a few years.

I understand your point. But what is considered an average sized city? Depends on your own reality. Most people live in areas probably less populated than this one. At least I used to. This state has approximately 4.1 million people. How many of those live in one of the big 3? Probably not most. So I would think on average it would seem like a big city to most in this state. Doesn't most the population in the US live spread out across small towns? Just a question to ponder.

I understand your point. But what is considered an average sized city? Depends on your own reality. Most people live in areas probably less populated than this one. At least I used to. This state has approximately 4.1 million people. How many of those live in one of the big 3? Probably not most. So I would think on average it would seem like a big city to most in this state. Doesn't most the population in the US live spread out across small towns? Just a question to ponder.

I came from a reasonably rural part of NY, but was close to a VERY urban part of NY. Although Greenville may not have that "big city" feel, it offers a quality of life and variety of activities that most cities wish they could offer. For me, I say Greenville is "as big as you make it". Its a whole lot of stuff in a small, friendly and inviting environment. Its up to the individual to make the most of what we have.

I hear lots of talk about the lack of urban density and skyscrapers. I think it would be a shame if Greenville became another Atlanta or Charlotte. I love Greenville for what it is. There is no doubt that growth is inevitable, but those that are responsible for planning should keep in mind what draws people to Greenville, and better yet, what makes them stay. :)

I came from a reasonably rural part of NY, but was close to a VERY urban part of NY. Although Greenville may not have that "big city" feel, it offers a quality of life and variety of activities that most cities wish they could offer. For me, I say Greenville is "as big as you make it". Its a whole lot of stuff in a small, friendly and inviting environment. Its up to the individual to make the most of what we have.

I hear lots of talk about the lack of urban density and skyscrapers. I think it would be a shame if Greenville became another Atlanta or Charlotte. I love Greenville for what it is. There is no doubt that growth is inevitable, but those that are responsible for planning should keep in mind what draws people to Greenville, and better yet, what makes them stay. :)

:cry: beautifully said.

Let me take this conversation international.

I'm from the upstate but live in Bangkok, Thailand now. And so for me, Greenville isn't a big city. By Asia city standards it's tiny. I have more office and/or condo space within a 10 minute walk of my home than exists in the entire upstate. It was funny when someone complained in another forum about Dubai building so much and Greenville not being able to get projects off the ground. :blink: It's a different world that can't really be compared.

However, Greenville is a big city by SC standards. It's a mid-size city by US standards. It's growing well. Maybe it'll be a big mid-size soon. I don't know. But I agree with NY. Greenville doesn't have to be Atlanta or Charlotte to be cool. It's already cool.

The key for me is that Greenville is a big enough city. It's big enough for an International flare. It's big enough to have culture. It's big enough to attract good entertainment. It's big enough to have most of the national chain stores and restaurants. It's big enough to have a few unique local ones. It's big enough to have most of the advantages of living in a big city.

One thing I've learned living in some of the biggest cities in the world is that once a city grows to a certain level, it really doesn't matter. You just can't take advantage of all the opportunities anyway. Who really cares if there are 10 cool concerts in one weekend. You can't go to more than one.

At some point the question changes from "how much can we grow?" to "how can we grow well?" I think Greenville is right on the cusp of being able to be choosey. And I'm excited about that.

Certainly the area including Anderson, Greenville, Spartanburg and Asheville has everything a person could want (except for "A" league professional sports).

There is no doubt that growth is inevitable, but those that are responsible for planning should keep in mind what draws people to Greenville, and better yet, what makes them stay. :)

Very well said NYT! :thumbsup:

At some point the question changes from "how much can we grow?" to "how can we grow well?" I think Greenville is right on the cusp of being able to be choosey. And I'm excited about that.

Very well said interestedexpat! :thumbsup:

In a word...no. It could perhaps make a nice suburb, minus the <deleted> slums of course.

Your opinion has been duly noted. We value everyone's viewpoint, but if you continue to make statements without reasonable backing, your acceptance here will be short-lived.

Archived