Main St Greenville vs Main St Columbia

vicupstate

Although I understand the differences between the layouts of the two cities (Columbia has distinct entertainment districts downtown, while Charlotte does not), I still think the point can be made that there can indeed be a harmonious blend between the two features.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats what has made Greenville's downtown so successful....the "harmonious blend" you talk about krazeeboi. Corporate offices, living, arts, theater, restaurants, nightlife. They all blend seemlessly on Greenville's Main Street and aren't broken up into districts.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from my experience traveling to greenville this summer, when i came across their main street, it looks pretty cool. you really can't compare the cites but greenville downtown have more of a country feeling. you had people out on main.st out dining, but the whole setup looked like a forest was on there main street, with all the trees. after you left main st. there was nothing else in greenville's area compared to their downtown to see, the downtown looks real hicktown, im sorry it's just the vibe it gave me. but it was real clean and neat.the only thing you can compare about columbia and greenville is main st. greenville has made a lot of progress, but as far as a city and the population, greenville still has a lot of growing to do, it's just too spreaded out, with a lot of land with nothing on it. in columbia you don't have that much avail space, in fact developers are complaining about no space. so it's a give and take type of thing, what one city needs the other one has, columbia is the biggest city in s.c., but it's not dominant. charleston has the best downtown out of the 3, columbia is the biggest city, and greenville is the cleaniest city. charleston and columbia just seems so different as far as the amount of people that you see in the city, and the feeling you get when riding around the two downtown.

from my experience traveling to greenville this summer, when i came across their main street, it looks pretty cool. you really can't compare the cites but greenville downtown have more of a country feeling. you had people out on main.st out dining, but the whole setup looked like a forest was on there main street, with all the trees. after you left main st. there was nothing else in greenville's area compared to their downtown to see, the downtown looks real hicktown, im sorry it's just the vibe it gave me. but it was real clean and neat.the only thing you can compare about columbia and greenville is main st. greenville has made a lot of progress, but as far as a city and the population, greenville still has a lot of growing to do, it's just too spreaded out, with a lot of land with nothing on it. in columbia you don't have that much avail space, in fact developers are complaining about no space. so it's a give and take type of thing, what one city needs the other one has, columbia is the biggest city in s.c., but it's not dominant. charleston has the best downtown out of the 3, columbia is the biggest city, and greenville is the cleaniest city. charleston and columbia just seems so different as far as the amount of people that you see in the city, and the feeling you get when riding around the two downtown.

I respect your opinion, but If you were left with that to say, then I don't think you spent enough time in Greenville.

Ouch. That was a rather painful take on Greenville. I, however, think that if you are going to say that Greenville is a hicktown, then you should spell words correctly, use punctuation, and learn some grammatical rules, in order to set yourself apart from us hicks. It would certainly make your posts more effective in the future. <_<

Now I do like "clean and neat" downtown areas, but sometimes an area can be TOO clean and neat (not necessarily saying this is true of Greenville). Uptown Charlotte is so clean sometimes it's freaky. A little grit and grime reminds me that people actually live in the town. :D

^Nah, give me clean and neat, baby! ;) Maybe it's because I was in the military, but I have never been a big fan of any grit or grime like grafitti, trash, or dilapidated buildings (i.e. anything messy!). I just think it detracts from a city. Cleanliness and neatness just give the place an appearance of order and that people are proud of where they live, work, and play.

Not "grit and grime" in terms of graffiti, overrun trash cans, and dilapidated buildings. You don't see all of this in Columbia, but I think downtown gives enough of a "human element" while still being aesthetically pleasing.

I think another thing which plays into this is historic preservation. Charlotte is clean, but it's all shiny and "brand new" too, for the most part. Greenville is clean, but still has a certain historic edge to it that works in its favor.

Hicktown? You have a very weak arguement (and sentence structure). You don't like Main St because it had alot of trees? That is by far the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. Do you know that they are putting similar trees to Greenville's in Five Points?

Not "grit and grime" in terms of graffiti, overrun trash cans, and dilapidated buildings. You don't see all of this in Columbia, but I think downtown gives enough of a "human element" while still being aesthetically pleasing.

The phrase I've always used is "a few rough edges", sometimes "patina" - just enough imperfection for a city to feel alive. Perhaps there are other phrases that better describe this.

I have a similar philosophy to the interior of houses - too much of a "museum feel", especially in formal living rooms, doesn't always make the occupant (or guest) feel the most comfortable. A house should feel "lived in", and so should a city.

Glad to see your pride for your city of Columbia 803metlife! :thumbsup: Are your from Columbia? Did you grow up in Columbia?

We're proud down here in Columbia. Biggest city in the state, the capital city, home of the largest university, the most college students, the largest football stadium, the largest basketball, etc. arena, 3 rivers, a national park, a large lake, 3 interstate highways, 2 significant arts and entertainment areas, the state's tallest building, the most skyscrapers, wide streets, terrific neighborhoods, awesome parks...I could go on and on.

What are you baseing your largest stadium on. If it is capcaity then you are wrong. According to the USC Atheletics Departments own website official capacity is is 80,250 people with the largest game drawing a crowd of 85,000 against Clemson in 2001.

While Clemson's offical capacity is 81,000 people and that number will be going up when the west endzone project is complete. Clemson's largest attendance was over 86,000 fans for Bowden Bowl One.

So while the numbers are close if your basing that comment on capacity I would have to say USC does not have the largest stadium in the State.

i didn't realize how sensitive you all are, you all need group hugs!! that's the feeling it gave me. so if you dont' like it, shoot me!!(wink)

i didn't realize how sensitive you all are, you all need group hugs!! that's the feeling it gave me. so if you dont' like it, shoot me!!(wink)

I understand what you were coming at...I haven't been to downtown Greenville since I was...Ummm..I don't remember the last time....Atleast some are standing up for Columbia....Greenville can have it's little crisp Main St. :D

• 2 years later...

It's been 3 years. Since 2005 what sort of progress has Cola's Main Street made?? I've seen the massive Main Street expansion in Greenville since that time, but I was wondering how a comparison between the two would truly stack-up today? Even more off-balanced, or more evenly..??

How's the streetscaping coming on Cola's Main Street?

The three blocks they've already streetscaped look like a linear urban garden, albeit not a mature one. The two blocks they're working on now have the most potential for retail and facade restoration. Duncan Donuts is about halfway through renovations for their new top-of-the-line eat-in restaurant in the first block of Main. Capital City News and Maps with its poorly mangaged self has closed, but a new newsstand one block up has taken its place. The new Sheraton in Columbia's second high-rise, built in 1913, has opened. Even without the streetscaping the Columbia Museum of art has increased its membership and collection to levels that cement its leadership as the state's largest fine arts museum, with night-time events occurring throughout the week and every Friday night.

In the meantime the Vista and Five Points have seen steady growth and for now remain the city's two premier districts for night life and downtown retail. By the time Main Street catches up with the Vista and Five Points, the three areas together will form one big, contiguous downtown.

Archived