Walmart = China, Cheap Dollar Stores = USA??

BrandonTO416

Guys, I've been looking at labels recently just to know what I'm buying. I've noticed a trend in the various stores I've been in lately.

I have been to a local Walmart several times in the past few weeks, far more then I have in the past several years in fact. An awful lot of what they sell certainly IS made in China, and I am sure its a clear majority of their products.

A lot of their more simple products seem to be made in Mexico, and a lot of their clothing seems to be made in Asia and the Middle East. I was surprised to see shirts made in Pakistan and Egypt all over the store.

I then decided to start shopping at some discount stores like Dollar General, and for food I found a local ALDI store. I found an amazingly high number of American made products that were in fact cheaper then the "cheap" Walmart stuff.

Now you can't exactly get the best shampoo at Dollar General, and you can't get any kind of delicacy at ALDI, but damn. At least its American for the most part.

I'm not sure I buy into this China is cheaper bit. It IS cheaper labor for bigger items. But do we really need to purchase hair goo, walkmans, and WalMart water from sources majority outside the US?

I really don't think so, and I don't think these products are really saving us.

What are your thoughts? Suggestions?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heckles,

great post! You saw my other posts on Wal-Mart and China just put some links over there as well. Aldi's is a great store, they are all over Metro Pittsburgh, the Wal-Marts aren't that huge but they are slowly expanding (moving over to Super Wal-Marts). I am a little conflicted with some of the food items cheap food is usually as healthy as eating dirt (actually dirt probably has a lot less salt, fat and cholestrol). As far as the non food items I think Aldis the dollar store even (in the truest spirit of recycling) the salvation army store are great alternatives to the beast from Bentonville. Some of the dollar stores though have Chinese made goods as well. Thanks for checking those labels, its what America needs in large doses!

I agree with food choice. ALDI is not exactly a great source for health food, its more like boxed carbs and fat with a little produce on the side. LOL

HOWEVER, there are other options besides ALDI for discount food. I just threw that out there.

The main point is that I have found cheaper American products vs. these Chinese made products, and they have to stay in business for a reason. Dollar General is making a hefty profit these days.

I think we could have better brand names built right here, however. I don't buy this bit we're being given by corporate America that everything has to be outsourced to stay competitive. A handful of corporate heavyweights are controlling the decisions that millions of Americans have to abide by. I don't like that.

The absolute BEST food that you can buy in any city is in organic grocery stores. The food is more expensive, but the quality of organic food is far superior to food that is full of hormones, pesticides and antibiotics.

Another great thing about buying organic is that a good majority of the produce that you find in your local organic food store comes from local organic farms. I'm sure that all larger cities have several different options. I know just in the Carolinas there is Earth Fare, The Fresh Market, The Home Economist, and Deep Roots. I'm sure there are regional stores in other cities as well.

Food is not one of the things you would see coming from China. Since they contain 1/4 of the world's population they consume every bit of the food that enters that country. You will see food from Mexico, Latin & South America simply because the growing season there is opposite of the USA's. But for non-food manufacturied items it is becoming increasingly difficult to find anything that isn't produced in China except for autos and some other big ticket items like appliances (but they are moving to mexico).

I agree with ezcheese that you should try to buy produce is grown as close to home as possible. It is less damaging to the environment and there are health reasons to sticking to seasonal food.

The wholesale exporting of our manufacturing business to China is downright scary. This is an unprecidented event in USA history and the end result will be a nation of poor people with a few rich people controlling everything. Anyone preaching that we will become a service only economy is just stupid if they think that is going to maintain a middle class. This is happening because Americans in general have become complacent, lazy and incompetant, and don't really care as long as they can have their DVDs and fast food.

I feel bad for the generation that is coming up as they are going to have it a lot tougher than their parents. (and not live as long either)

This forum is great! Now, if only everybody else in this country were to stop and actually think about what they are purchasing, and the ramifications it may have, we would be living in a better place. That is the problem how I see it. Most dont care to know where things come from, how they were made and even consider "do I really need this". Its all about unlimited wants with limited means of purchasing.

I recently joined a share crop farm in New Hampshire. I cant wait for springtime, when fresh veggies start rolling in!

Archived