Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hkskyline

Dublin, Ireland - Downtown

18 posts in this topic

My trip to Dublin only lasted one day. I flew in from London early in the morning, and left that night. As such, I had to optimize my time and itinerary to fit as much in as possible during the day. Unfortunately, while it was clear in London, the skies over Dublin remained cloudy throughout the day.

Here is a selection of photos from my Dublin galleries at :

Downtown & River Liffey

Henry Street

Stepping off the Ryanair flight from London Stansted at around 9:30am :

DSCN4796.JPG

After a 30-minute bus ride to town, I stopped off at Henry Street for some shopping.

DSCN4819.jpg

DSCN4832.jpg

DSCN4837.jpg

DSCN4838.jpg

DSCN4842.jpg

DSCN4841.jpg

Along the River Liffey :

DSCN4849.jpg

DSCN4855.jpg

DSCN4856.jpg

Nice photos. Interesting to see that "most" of the old buildings/structures remain. Some new ones here and there, but for the most part everything appears to have been preserved. The charactor of the city streets are unique as a result.

I'd take a cloudy day in Dublin anytime, so long as you throw in a pint of Guniness with it.......

- BR

Wow! Definetely not what I imagined Dublin to be. Great pics too! Dublin looks very lively, and like BR said, retaining it's history while still moving ahead. Great!

Wow, save for NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia, and a few other dense U.S. cities, I imagine visitors from the major population centers of Asia and Europe must find American cities to be fairly dull and unimpressive.

Have European nations developed even a fraction of the suburbanization and exurbanization patterns (complete with their strip malls, indoor malls, mega-marts, etc.) that the U.S. has?

- Garris

Providence, RI

Wow! I was not expecting this! Dublin looks like such a lively city. Great photos!

never seen dublin before. looks like an interesting city, not much height but the density seems ok.

I have a large collection of Dublin photos from my day trip on my website. Here are a couple more :

DSCN4830.jpg

DSCN4871.jpg

DSCN4879.jpg

DSCN4881.jpg

DSCN4882.jpg

DSCN4892.jpg

DSCN4898.jpg

DSCN4902.jpg

DSCN4994.jpg

DSCN4997.jpg

DSCN4947.jpg

hkskyline, what do you do for a living? You seem to be very well-traveled.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm a student. I try to travel whenever I get holidays .. long weekend, after exams, etc.

Very nice. Its really good to see a city that is so lively and with no automobiles.

Nice pictures indeed. Thats also a nice modern light rail system operating in a historical setting.

Unfortunately, around the core of European cities they have similar sprawl as we do, though not on the same scale. They have drive thru McDonalds for example in Germany and France. They have massive home improvement stores like Home Depot in Britain. And, they even have widely spaced housing in Switzerland. Apparently, density isnt for everyone, even in Europe.

I'm new to this forum and just had to register to tell you how excited your pictures made me. I'm a college student in the US and planning to study in Dublin for the upcoming fall semester -- looks great!

I'm new to this forum and just had to register to tell you how excited your pictures made me. I'm a college student in the US and planning to study in Dublin for the upcoming fall semester -- looks great!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are very lucky. Ryanair's Dublin base is very close to the city and you have the chance to fly all over Europe at extraordinarily low fares. For example, you can easily reach London Stansted in an hour.

Dublin looks really fine and quite urban. I like it.