Charlotte: South Park stuff

JunktionFET

The "In depth" section of the Charlotte Biz Journal has a couple articles on Charlotte's South Park district, with special attention on the area around the mall.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ies/2003/10/13/

The South Park district, approximately 5 miles from Center City/Uptown/Whatever, was more or less "invented" in the mid 1950s (just housing at that point). It hosts the city's 2nd largest collection of office space and is said to have more office space than that of downtown Raleigh.

Too bad the folks down there in Souff Park are anti-transit, eh? beotchs! :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When are developers gonna realize that regional malls and single use suburban office buildings are dying dinosaurs? Its well publicized. Harris and Bissell have done some major damage to Charlotte. Didnt one of them tear down the beautiful Independence Building, NC's FIRST skyscaper?

How about some pics of South Park? I don't care if it has more, or less space than DT Raleigh, I just want to see some photos :angry: It will be nice if it is taken advantage of, but I am sure most businesses would prefer to locate Uptown. Is that correct?

someone did a pic spread on SouthPark about a year ago...nostyle I believe.

He has some pics here:

http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/experience-charlotte/

Hey Bird dude! Are trying to start up on Raleigh? Leave us out of this! That's good South Park area has all that office space but if it is vacant, there isn't much to brag about. :)

Hey man, no need for drama. I used downtown Raleigh as a comparison. If South Park has more office space than an entire downtown area, then wow--it has a lot of office space, right? That is how I intended it to be interpreted.

No fake competition stuff here... I rep both places, and really all of NC with equal pride.

:D

Uptownliving: thanks for the link. I had seen most of these photos, in somestyle's page, but I had forgotten :( Surely, I'd like to see more street level photos of South Park. Anyway, I can see the potential, but I doubt it will become anything nearly as important as Uptown Charlotte any time soon. Of course, when market conditions dictate, South Park may become a second vibrant downtown for Charlotte. Anyone has any aerial photos of South Park? (Am I asking for a lot, or what?) :D

Not related to South Park, but similar in nature... What is the story with this:

http://www.ayrsley.com/

It looks really interesting, especially the aerial photos (look at the following links):

Ayrsley - aerial photo 1

Ayrsley - aerial photo 2

Such project may really increase the density in an area that appears kind of sprawled. Has this project materialized? If yes, any pics? It looks like the kind of project EVERY NC city needs.

The "In depth" section of the Charlotte Biz Journal has a couple articles on Charlotte's South Park district, with special attention on the area around the mall.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ies/2003/10/13/

The South Park district, approximately 5 miles from Center City/Uptown/Whatever, was more or less "invented" in the mid 1950s (just housing at that point). It hosts the city's 2nd largest collection of office space and is said to have more office space than that of downtown Raleigh.

Too bad the folks down there in Souff Park are anti-transit, eh? beotchs! :)

I thought the University City, had Charlotte's 2nd largest office space (after Uptown) or is that just communting? I also here, that the Ballantyne area is another office-space hotspot in town, although it looks mostly suburban (no highrises) to me.

Here's an aerial of the central part of South Park, but I do not know how old it is.

southpark.gif

Whilst searching for information, I found a document on the internet dated 1994 which playfully called South Park "the third largest city in NC"... I assume this was referring to office space.

It's good and bad in a way. To imagine that only a small district of Charlotte (that has always been a part of the city, was never a city or town on its own) could hold that title, whether or not it is a stretch... but it is sad to think that this development could have been located 5 miles away in Uptown instead of in its older suburban location.

With the way in which Charlotte has grown, South Park is closer to the geographic center of the city than the REAL Center City is. Strange...

I would say that pic was taken about 1995...so its about 8 years old.

In the Pic some of the Morrocroft buildings are still under construction, along with some of the buildings on Sharon across from the mall. At the mall it is missing all the parking decks and Nordy's wing that is there now, including the Symphony park.

That aerial shot of South Park is great. The area seems to be very promising and it will be interesting to see it growing as the 2nd downtown for Charlotte. Any retail nearby, besides a mall? The area does not seem to lack density, so it would make a lot of sense to develop South Park into an important business center, too.

There is some new retail in SouthPark aside from the mall. This area is growing VERY fast. A fast growing local bank, American Community Bank, just recently announced an HQ move to SouthPark and other companies have done the same. I'd suspect some larger buildings will go up in SouthPark in time to come, I just wish it were a little closer to DT. But perhaps they'll be able to fill-in the area between SouthPark and DT.

Style thanks for your pics...for comparisons sake...the SouthPark office market contains 4.5 Million sq ft of offices...Downtown Raleigh has 2.5 Million sq ft of offices....thats where they get off on saying that SouthPark is the State's second largest "downtown"...it is based on the amount of office space.

Style: great photos!!! Thanks for posting them. I can see why South End has great potential. The number of square footage is truly impressive (thanks for the numbers, uptownliving). Without a doubt, South Park seems to be the second largest DT in the state; how many square feet of office space does Winston-Salem have? By the way, is South Park something like the business version of RTP? South Park has retail and residences, nearby, but in terms of usage, can we compare it to RTP?

South Park isn't exactly comparable to RTP... Aside from the obvious differences (retail and residential), South Park has an upscale flavor. Look at the hotels in the area, the two-story McDonalds, the overall feel of the shopping centers... it is home to a mall that kicked out stores like RadioShack and Sears. :lol:

Here's a more promising comparison, sort of. Has anyone ever been to Regency Park in Cary? With a lot more area, more buildings, more retail, and a mall, Regency Park in Cary would be sort of like South Park in Charlotte.

Oddly enough, both places already have expensive homes and a symphony park adjacent to a pond. Both places also host fireworks displays during July 4th (though a little smaller than the show at the Fairgrounds or in Uptown Charlotte).

I suppose you could view Regency as an embryotic South Park.

Speaking of URP, does it have anymore buildings besides "corporate" campuses? From what I saw of it, it look a lot like RTP, nothing but campuses hidden behinds some woods, lol. At least in Ballantyne, they have that huge "towncenter" around their office buildings, although you still have to drive to get there, but they look their building some kind of walkway around the area. Btw, does anyone have any pics of RTP, URP, or Ballantyne? I know there's not much to see, but still be interesting to see, since they both hold a large number of the states jobs.

Thanks, guys. Of course, there seems to be no comparison between South Park and RTP; the former, as I implied in my previous posting, has residential and retail, which automatically puts it in a completely different category. The resemblence to Regency Park, in Cary, may be a better one, although Regency Park falls way behind South Park in terms of corporate presence. Also, I wanted to see whether South Park attracts companies that otherwise would do business downtown; that was the purpose of my question. RTP definitely "stole" a lot of businesses that could have chosen a more central location, somewhere in Raleigh, Durham... or even Chapel Hill and Cary.

I'm sure SouthPark "steals" some business from downtown...but it goes the otherway as well, with the recent annoucement that Crosland will be moving their offices from SouthPark to the Carrillon building in downtown Charlotte. Keep in mind that the downtown Charlotte office market is 5 times the size of the SouthPark office market.

As far as current relocations to Charlotte a lot of companies are chosing the Airport/Billy Graham area instead of downtown. The rent is cheaper there, plus they are real close to the airport (5 min drive in many cases)

I wonder, does the 2.5 million square feet of space for DT Raleigh include government offices? I would bet that is a multi tenant space number. The actual amount of space is probably higher. For instance, the Char Meck Govt Center isnt included in the total sq footage for DT Charlottes office market, which is 14.3 million sq ft of multi tenant space

49er that is a good point...the Charlotte market when you include single tenat office buildings tops out close to 20 Million Sq Ft.

The 2.5 Million sq ft of offices for downtown Raleigh does not inlude single tenet numbers (ie Govt offices)..I would imagine that would add another 1 Million sq ft or so to the Raleigh numbers.

Archived