Wind-power plans pick up speed

Wind-power plans pick up speed

ln07a.gif

After years of relative inactivity, efforts to harness the power of Hawai'i's blustery winds are getting a jump-start.

The developers of three major wind farm proposals are gearing up for construction, aiming to become operational before the end of the year. The move would increase the state's wind-generated power by more than 500 percent and provide enough energy to light up almost 20,000 homes.

Hawai'i is not alone in its wind-power rush. The American Wind Energy Association says scores of energy companies are pushing to install thousands of wind turbines in 21 states before a federal tax credit expires at the end of the year.

"Wind activity is definitely picking up," said Karl Stahlkopf, chief technology officer and senior vice president of energy solutions with Hawaiian Electric Co. "People are scraping like crazy to make sure their projects are up and running to take advantage of the credits."

These Hawai'i projects are expected to flip their switches in 2005:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is great to see that these plans are finally rolling. Hawaii is a great location, hopefully it can lead the nation in this industry. I know with gas prices being so high out there (which relate to power prices) Hawaii could use that as a state wide model that is hopefully copied soon here in the 48. Did see how O'ahu having the majority of the population doesn't have that much potential for wind farms. Is it a population density issue? I have never understood why you could drive down a road with High Voltage power lines along the side but not wind farms?

PghUSA, actually Honolulu does have atleast one large wind farm that i can think of near the north shore in fact one of the wind thingys has like the largest fan blades in the world measuring like 400 ft in length! But for Oahu there a plan to harness energy from the ocean i posted an article a while back about it at another site but i cant find it anymore. Anyhow, the proposal was to put some huge floating thing in the ocean and it was gonna create energy from the movements of the waves and stuff it was very interesting. However, as for the wind farm(s) on Oahu i dont think they do much but theres also like a huge thing for reuseable energy. The governor put some law into effect that the main power suppliers on Oahu which is HECO (Hawaiian Electric Co) to turn like a fair percentage (cant remember the exact number) into reuseable energy or something like that sorry im like blabbing off of memory. Anyway what it boils down to is Honolulu definately needs more alternatives especially with the population approaching a million with no clear signs of slowing down.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived