Republican or Democrat?

yochillout

The death penalty is something I've been struggling with for a while now. I used to be very much pro death penalty, now I'm probably 50/50 on the issue. It's hard for me to take a strong stand on the death penalty when I know there are some innocent people dying.

SOCOM: What innocent people are dying now as a result of the death penalty?

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SOCOM:  What innocent people are dying now as a result of the death penalty?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a fair question...honestly, I don't know of any in particular. However, I do remember hearing about some cases in the past where the state found out after the fact, that the person they put to death was an innocent man. Can anyone confirm this?

I can't confirm this but I'm studying criminalistics (yeah, CSI) so I can give an insightful thought.

DNA exoneration is end all be all proof in that you don't always have DNA samples to compare it to. Look at the DC sniper case last year. No DNA could be retrieved from the slugs removed from the victims.

Also, our justice system is based on the interpretation of the evidence and then by the beliefs of the jury. Innocent people do get sent to Death Row because of the human element involved in our justice system. Appeals work on that same system. It may be one of the best justice systems in the world but it is flawed simply because we make mistakes.

The way I would work Death Row would be that to qualify, it would require empircal knowledge and evidence, not just circumstancial that can be wrong and subject to interpretation. An example would be you were caught on video. That's empirical evidence.

Without a party system, people would simply vote for the better candidate and not just the platform they run on. There is nothing stagnant about it.

On paper, the 2 party system is ideal but due to human emotion and ignorance, it fails.

The exact same can be said about communism. On paper, it's not a bad system at all, its execuation is horrible and impossible to do properly because we are human.

Exactly, the ideas themselves can't be guilty. That depends what people do with. It's same for all, there are not bad or good religions, there are just religions and those who abuse of them ; there are no bad or good inventions or scientific discoveries, there are inventions and those who misuse of them...

Nothing is perfect because we are human. That's why it's necessary to respect the opinions, despite the past experiences.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm a nothing. I don't like any political party and disagree with Democrats and Republicans on many major issues. When stuck with the usual two party choice though, I always end up voting Democrat though.

I'm curious, why is it that you always vote for the dems if you don't like either party? Is there one big issue that pulls you towards them? (say for instance like abortion or gay rights)

I can relate to you I think tho, but on the other side of the spectrum. I disagree with many Republican core beliefs (some gay rights issues, some affirmative action issues, gun control - or lack thereof, lack of stem cell research, etc) as well as many Democratic beliefs (take $$ away from rich and give it to poor, some abortion issues, national security and some foreign affairs).

I'm pretty much split right down the middle, both extremes of the right and left irritate me to no end, but the one thing that I guess I could say bugs me, and therefore turns me to vote for Republicans more than Democrats is the lack of respect Liberals seem to have for religious people such as myself. They kind of talk down about anyone who is evangelical (or deeply believes in God, Jesus, etc) and quite frankly, turn me away from where I prob would like to vote.

I pretty much end up agreeing with Democratic candidates as the lesser of two evils when it comes time to vote.

Unfortunately, you're right. It's all about grinding your teeth and picking what seems to be the least "evil" candidate these days. Something tells me it wasn't always like this, and politicians could actually be trusted and held to their word "back in the day."

Unfortunately, you're right. It's all about grinding your teeth and picking what seems to be the least "evil" candidate these days. Something tells me it wasn't always like this, and politicians could actually be trusted and held to their word "back in the day."

I think this is more common in national elections. State and local elections aren't nearly as corrupt, and I often can find one candidate that's pretty truthful. For example, Minnesota's senators (Mark Dayton, a democrat and Norm Coleman, a republican) are pretty good. I've never had a problem with Mark Dayton, and Norm Coleman recently gained respect for holding his promise to Minnesota and voting against the bill that opened up ANWR for oil drilling. He kept his word (even if he knew ahead of time it would pass the senate...).. that's important.

I think this is more common in national elections. State and local elections aren't nearly as corrupt, and I often can find one candidate that's pretty truthful. For example, Minnesota's senators (Mark Dayton, a democrat and Norm Coleman, a republican) are pretty good. I've never had a problem with Mark Dayton, and Norm Coleman recently gained respect for holding his promise to Minnesota and voting against the bill that opened up ANWR for oil drilling. He kept his word (even if he knew ahead of time it would pass the senate...).. that's important.

Yes, very true. I have much less dilemnas voting locally than I do for president, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived