290 members have voted

1. 1. Which city has most potential

• Nasvhille
    • Jacksonville
    • Birmingham
    • Louisville
    • Little Rock
    • Oklahoma City

Which one of these has the most potential of growing into a large urban area. Look at as may aspects of each city before voting!!!!!!!!!

I.E. New upcoming developments.

I left Charlotte out b/c everyone would vote for it. It is by far a step ahead of the rest. This will be more interesting.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of this list, I agree with Brickell. Both Nashville and Jacksonville's metro growth is about the same. However, Jacksonville seems to be having a bigger growing boom in its core areas. As of right now, I'll go with Jacksonville's potential, being its in Florida, the South's fastest growing state, and its a waterfront city with a major port. I'm not to familiar with Oklahoma City, so I'll be looking to here more about what's going on in the other cities.

Out of this list, I agree with Brickell.  Both Nashville and Jacksonville's metro growth is about the same.  However, Jacksonville seems to be having a bigger growing boom in its core areas.  As of right now, I'll go with Jacksonville's potential, being its in Florida, the South's fastest growing state, and its a waterfront city with a major port.  I'm not to familiar with Oklahoma City, so I'll be looking to here more about what's going on in the other cities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to vote Nashville, by the year 2010 Nashville will be the new capitol of the south

^ And you're on crack. No offense, but Atlanta isn't going anywhere for awhile, and Nashville isn't a building ;)

Out of these, I look at it two ways:

Nashville and Jacksonville will certainly be ahead in terms of new urban growth and have the potential to be large urban areas.

Oklahoma City is also doing well with its Bricktown and MAPS.

Birmingham and Louisville though have the most potential for large, OLD urban cores -- for example, over 300 more residential units have been announced since January 1, 2005 for Birmingham - 90% of these coming from conversions of older buildings.

All of these cities are doing well development-wise, but each is persuing things a different way. It'll be fun to see the outcomes in a decade or so.

^ And you're on crack. No offense, but Atlanta isn't going anywhere for awhile, and Nashville isn't a building ;)

Out of these, I look at it two ways:

Nashville and Jacksonville will certainly be ahead in terms of new urban growth and have the potential to be large urban areas.

Oklahoma City is also doing well with its Bricktown and MAPS.

Birmingham and Louisville though have the most potential for large, OLD urban cores -- for example, over 300 more residential units have been announced since January 1, 2005 for Birmingham - 90% of these coming from conversions of older buildings.

All of these cities are doing well development-wise, but each is persuing things a different way. It'll be fun to see the outcomes in a decade or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think its called crack ---its call common sense,,, Atlanta will not always stay on top and if u look that the a recent magazine article NASHVILLE IS NUMBER 1 atl is a not important 2

TopTenn

Nashville is growing, but there's no way its going to become the South's premier city in 5 years. From what I've seen on these forums, its recent downtown development boom, ranks behind Jacksonville's and Louisville's. Its good to see you have a lot of city pride and N-Ville definately has potential, like the others, but seriously, none of these cities will even be in the South's top 10, by 2010.

[quote=thelakelander,Jan 20 2005

Lakelander, You are right Nashville maynot became the premier city of the south but if u have been around Nashville in the last 20 years. You would see why I take so much pride in my city.. I am from Chicago and I been here 5years and the city has just grown so much and its exciting to see.

^I wouldn't doubt it. All of our cities have really turned it around in the last 20 years. Back in the 80's Jax was known as "The armpit of Florida" because the entire city smelled like raw sewage, due to a number of industrial pollutants. Hopefully the positive trends will continue for all of these cities.

Of the cities listed, Nashville and Jacksonville already have their place.

Louisville, Oklahoma City and Birmingham are all midsize cities that can benefit from not being there bigger city neighbors, but it's hard to say that they will ever get out of the shadow.

A Southern city with great potential (who knows if it will ever be realized) is Mobile. It's one of the oldest cities in the country and home to the first US Mardi Gras. I was able to go to Mardi Gras there 2 years ago and it was a blast,and much more managable than New Orleans. You can walk around easier and enjoy the parades and other events.

The city has some great old buildings like its bigger sister in Louisiana and of course is a port city as well. The access to neighboring beach towns in Alabama and Florida is also a huge plus. The city's biggest misfortune is being located in a state can't get into a forward motion for progress, socially or with business. It's too bad, a decent and historically midsize port city is sitting there, yet missing the boat...

I agree... Atlanta has that locked up for years to come. You'd place Louisville over Nashville... are you nuts? I suggest you take another look at all the development in Nash.

I don't think Louisville has over $700 million in projects downtown right now... like Nashville. This doesn't even include the future Federal CH ($125 million)... West End Summit ($75-90 million?)... Signature ($200 mm)... and convention center expansion (250-350 mm). Plus, Nash is 'on track' to get LRT and commuter rail before Louisville.

Thank u for agree with me, Nashville does have a lot of projects and more will be poping up. I heard a rumor Nashville city council are trying to get a retractable roof on the coliseum so that Nashville can get the superbowl.,

I heard that too. I go to all the titans games and am very familiar with the stadium. They would have to do alot of work to get a retractable roof on the Coliesum. On top of that the city had like 70 million in rapairs this year didnt they. I dont think they will do that. Bud Adams will deffinently not. He's to frugle.LOL!!!

Do yall know whats up with that really tall skyscraper. Whats up with that. Jacks & Nash are both doing alot of the same things. Daily Nashville is getting restraunts and new proposals. Jax and Nash are almost gaining ground on Charlotte. I agree with alot of what you said lakelander but i must say that Nashville has got Jax on location. The cumberland, even though its not huge, eventually goes to the Mississippi. And Nashville is like 600 miles from like 60% of the U.S. population. Nasvhille's rail is commin along and Signature and mabe West End summit are two ver y probable large skyscrapers. Also, i dont think any of the other cities can compete with Nash, Jax, Atl, and Charlotte(deep south). Mobie cannot approach these cities, first its growing slower than the other metros and i know its almost like 1,000,000 people less. But the battle house hotel( around 800ft) is really nice. Like yall say though, Tall towers are not what matters.

The titans will ALWAYS OWN THE JAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beasts of the game!!!!!

r_mcnair_frt.jpg

l.jpg

Archived