• Louisville
    • Little Rock
    • Oklahoma City

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nas74.jpg

The Natchez Trace bridge

"One of the most revolutionary arch bridges in recent years is the Natchez Trace Bridge in Franklin, Tennessee, which was opened to traffic in 1994. It's the first American arch bridge to be constructed from segments of pre-cast concrete, a highly economical material. Two graceful arches support the roadway above. Usually arch bridges employ vertical supports called "spandrels" to distribute the weight of the roadway to the arch below, but the Natchez Trace Bridge was designed without spandrels to create a more open and aesthetically pleasing appearance. As a result, most of the live load is resting on the crowns of the two arches, which have been slightly flattened to better carry it. Already the winner of many awards, the bridge is expected to influence bridge design for years to come. "

It really is a great bridge to see in person...especially for the engineering minded. :D

honestly, little rock shouldn't be in here. it has a lot of potential which is already being harnessed, but it has a potential to become a city like Nashville, whereas Nashville has the potential to become a city like Atlanta. They're on two different tiers.

Nashville Population: 545,524 ('00)

Little Rock Population: 183,133 ('00)

Now, if we were rating the city's potential vs. where they have been for the past 50 years, Little Rock has a lot more potential. New developments and world icons are being built across the board as the city board leaders finally are taking steps to make Little Rock an important city. Off the top of my head. I might post some pics.... later:

2-4 new sky scrapers in the past 5 years

Clinton Presidential center - love him or hate him, he was without a doubt one of the most loved Presidents by teh world and the nation....this single development has spawned over a billion dollars in development and has put Little Rock on the map for bigger things.

Alltel Arena-- Alltel, a wireless phone company that is based in Little Rock (they also have the naming rights to Alltel stadium in Jacksonville, if you remember the super bowl) paid for the naming rights of this multipurpose stadium in Downtown little rock. Capacity is around 20,000. Because of the recent developments, it is landing major gigs like the SEC women championship and the SEC men's tourney in 2006 (or was it the NCAA qualifying thing for the championship...i don't remember)

River rail system

new museums, landmarks, and other developments along the LR riverfront.'

Nashville has more buildings being built, more people moving, in and out of the city, and there is more downtown improvment. That is what i ment by nasvhille is on a whole nother level.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHA? This is laughable. have YOU been to Louisville lately? I know it will be hard for it to shake the bad image, but you will be shocked when you come.

HAHA? This is laughable.  have YOU been to Louisville lately?  I know it will be hard for it to shake the bad image, but you will be shocked when you come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been to louisville lately its looks the same as it did ten year ago. Ok its has one new building the waterfront apts are something. Louisville has a long way to go maybe when its get a pro team we will take it more seriously..

No they don't make a city but it draw attention to them. I mean louisville is a nice northern like city but its just doesn't have what it takes to be in Nashville footsteps..........On the other hand Birmingham would get more attention if they build a dome and get an NFL team. Do u agree with me Dave??

Seriously... if you were to take away country music and the Titans, Nashville = Louisville. Most people outside of Nashville see it for what it is... an up-and-coming city... but so is Louisville. Nashville is nice, but it's nothing all that special. I'm sorry if that hurts someone's feelings, but there's alot of truth to it.

Seriously...  if you were to take away country music and the Titans, Nashville = Louisville.  Most people outside of Nashville see it for what it is...  an up-and-coming city...  but so is Louisville.  Nashville is nice, but it's nothing all that special.  I'm sorry if that hurts someone's feelings, but there's alot of truth to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you have to take away things from Nashville to make it Louisville...that doesn't make sense. Nash and Louisville are very different anyway. The Louisville metro hasn't seen anything close to the growth Nashville has in the recent past and the cities are just different. Louisville is more like Birmingham.

What doesn't make sense about what I wrote? If you took away those things from Nashville, there would virtually be no difference between it and Louisville. That's pretty hard to dispute, even for a Nashville homer. I think if you were to poll people who had limited or no knowledge about the two cities, that it would be hard to tell them apart.

What doesn't make sense about what I wrote?  If you took away those things from Nashville, there would virtually be no difference between it and Louisville.  That's pretty hard to dispute, even for a Nashville homer.  I think if you were to poll people who had limited or no knowledge about the two cities, that it would be hard to tell them apart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The point is Nashville has those things and you can't really take them away...just like Louisville has the Derby and the Ohio river.

What doesn't make sense about what I wrote?  If you took away those things from Nashville, there would virtually be no difference between it and Louisville.  That's pretty hard to dispute, even for a Nashville homer.  I think if you were to poll people who had limited or no knowledge about the two cities, that it would be hard to tell them apart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what rocket is saying is that if you have to take something away from a city to compare it to another, then they aren't really comparable.

Living in Atlanta, I am a little biased, but nonetheless...

Of all southern cities, and I don't mean Southeast, I mean everything below the mason Dixon line, Midtown Atlanta has the most potential to become a truly urban environment. In the last 5 years, over 5000 new units of housing have been built(and that's just in Midtown). We currently have over 1500 units under construction. One new project named Spire sold all 400 of it's condos in less then three months, and it's still under construction. Cities are more then their skylines and convention centers. It's the stret life that makes a place urban. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world and more Fortune 500 HQ's then any city except New York and Houston??? ( I know we're third). The pop of Atlanta is approx. 4.5 million and is expected to grow to 6.5 in the next 20 years. We are curently competing with Miami to be home to the secretariet of the Free Trade Area of Americas (FTAA). If we win it, it will be a $500 million a year boost to our economy. That's the equivelant of hosting2 Super Bowls every year.

Nashville is a great city, but it will take more then time to supplant Atlanta as the capital of the South.

Living in Atlanta, I am a little biased, but nonetheless...

Of all southern cities, and I don't mean Southeast, I mean everything below the mason Dixon line, Midtown Atlanta has the most potential to become a truly urban environment. In the last 5 years, over 5000 new units of housing have been built(and that's just in Midtown). We currently have over 1500 units under construction. One new project named Spire sold all 400 of it's condos in less then three months, and it's still under construction. Cities are more then their skylines and convention centers. It's the stret life that makes a place urban. Atlanta has the busiest airport in the world and more Fortune 500 HQ's then any city except New York and Houston??? ( I know we're third). The pop of Atlanta is approx. 4.5 million and is expected to grow to 6.5 in the next 20 years. We are curently competing with Miami to be home to the secretariet of the Free Trade Area of Americas (FTAA). If we win it, it will be a $500 million a year boost to our economy. That's the equivelant of hosting2 Super Bowls every year.

Nashville is a great city, but it will take more then time to supplant Atlanta as the capital of the South.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You haven't read much of this thread, have you?

Atlanta is already a major urban area so it was excluded from the poll. The goal is to discover who thinks which city has the most potential to become a major important city.

Actually, I read quite a bit of the thread. I was responding to one particular post that posited that Nashville will overtake Atlanta as the most important or influential city in the Southeast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quoting that individual would have clarified your post a lot more and I'm sure almost everyone here would agree with you that Nashville will never supplant Atlantas importance or influence.

It was just difficult to gather that you were directing that at a sepcific person and not the poll itself.

Hey Lake, don't let anybody tell you not to have pride about where you're from, especially if its a growing and thriving city. I wish my hometown did the things that your city has done...my hometown has been around longer and its smaller! Charleston is growing, but nowhere near the rate of Jax. Your city just seems to have the vision and determination to be a major city. In my hometown, the people there seem to be afraid of growth, but your city seems to embrace it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was raised and continue to live in north-central FL (near Jax). Jax is an incredible town with an incredible future. But it will never have the historic charm that Charleston has. I visited Charleston for the first time this past February. Be proud of your town, it's beautiful. If they ever let a developer touch the historic district, it will be a shame. Side note - Charleston blows Savannah out of the water.

Mind you, had Jax not burned to the ground and had its past city officials not leveled entire blocks of downtown for surface parking, Jax would have a historcal district rivaling Savannah's (it still wouldn't rival Charleston's). Charleston is a true jem, no growth should be needed or wanted (unless the growth is taking place across the river).

I agree, Charleston is amazing. One of the things I love about Jax, is the fact that you can easily make nice day trips out of Charleston and Savannah, Jax's sister low country coastal cities. Unfortunately growth can be a double edge sword. While the other two started to decline in population, in the mid 20th Century, Jax leveled several beautiful older architectural gems to accomodate the modern glass towers you see today.

Archived