• Birmingham
    • Louisville
    • Little Rock
    • Oklahoma City

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well look at that, I tied it.

Lakelander, figures you'd be here, I've lived in Nashville, Jacksonville and I'm currently in Hampton Roads (wife is military) so I can offer my opinion of all three.

Nashville - Good growth and has had it's name well known for decades. Should continue a decent growth pattern for several years. Good centralized location. Very odd highway system though. River is too small and too far from the ocean for any major shipping. Nashville has over 500 sq miles and lost 800 people in the city limits from 2000 to 2003. That does not bode well for its future.

City pop - 544,765

Metro - 1,431,296

Hampton Roads - Slower growth. No major sport franchise. Just overall not more than military and shipping going for it. The 7 cities need to work much better together because they all fight each other for everything and that keeps things from happening.

Metro - 1,701,083

Jax - Since 1996, this city has began a growth trend that is incredible. Only 5 cities in the whole country are experiencing better growth and HR and N-ville are not on that list. The transportation upgrades, port (sea and air) upgrades, DT and suburban construction, massive planned developments like the 40,000 population Nocatee, the beaches.....you get the point.

City - 773,781

Metro - 1,274,741

There is even talk of putting a toll road through this area in the next few years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see that the state is now finally having serious discussions to build the toll road between Hendersonville and Old Hickory with a possible hook-in to Briley. The study from 1997 is now being updated and the Toll Road bill will be sent to legislation this year by Dianne Black (R. Gallatin). In the first study, it was estimated to cost $57 million, and the state put it on the back burner (it was not proposed as a toll road then). I'm not much at updating old cost estimates but would guess that a road would now cost in excess of $70 million. I do not think the old proposal had a tie-in to Briley. I understand that is one of the "must haves" now.

The bill would establish Tennessee's first toll road authority. It would oversee proposed roads in Nashville, Memphis, and southeast Tennessee to the NC border.

People do not like talking about Hampton Roads and i have yet to figure out why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hadn't noticed that. There are several threads on your area. I'll hazard a guess that it doesn't come up in many of these polls possibly b/c it doesn't have a single urban core.

On a related note, I was up in Norfolk two years ago and stayed at the James Madison. It's a very nice city. I just don't get up there often.

Actually, it bodes quite well for its future.  Since 2000, the county completed a major water/sewer project that serves the undeveloped southern part of the county.  This has opened up thousands of acres for development.  It really presents a dilemma in that the mayor does not want it to be turned into sprawl (I believe it will anyway).  It lies directly between the torrid growth in Murfreesboro and Brentwood.  There is even talk of putting a toll road through this area in the next few years.

It's been estimated that an additional 100,000 homes (300,000+ more people) can be built in this area of the county with the new infrastructure now that it has been "unplugged".  Already, 14,000 homes have been built since 2000 (thru 10/2004) in southern Davidson alone.  So just based on that fact alone and without counting the booming Bellevue and Hermitage areas (easily another 10,000 units), you have to conclude that the county has seen a significant population increase. 

For reasons unclear to me, Nashville does not update its official midcensus data.  Through September 2004, their estimated population for the urban services area is somewhere around 580,000 (35K gain) and Davidson has approximately 610,000 now (40K gain).  This info was published in the metropolitan fact book published last month.  Its figures are based on the number of housing permits issued since 2000, registered cars/drivers licenses, phone number, voting resident formulations, etc.  You know, the usual way that local govts. always know how much they are growing (and more accurately) long before the Commerce Dept..  They also gave their projections for 2010 at around 660,000 to possibly 680,000.  IT DOES NOT NEED TO GROW ANY FASTER THAN THAT (It's a healthy 15-18% rate).

Also, keep in mind that although Davidson county is around 500 sq. mi. in area, about 125 sq. mi. in the northern part are virtually undevelopable b/c it's so rugged there.  Actually it is quite beautiful.

Anyway, just so you know... Don't always believe those numbers.  They are often either too high or too low.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where can you get your hands on the book? I fully think a solid 50% of Davidson County is undevelopable. You have to take into consideration the hills in the south and west as much as anything, then the watershed of the Cumberland & Stones River/J Percy Priest Lake.

The city still has so many challenges ahead of itself.

Where can you get your hands on the book? I fully think a solid 50% of Davidson County is undevelopable. You have to take into consideration the hills in the south and west as much as anything, then the watershed of the Cumberland & Stones River/J Percy Priest Lake.

The city still has so many challenges ahead of itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i wouldn't say 50%. yeah davidson county is big, but the only undevelpable area is really north nashville in the hills. south of downtown still has a lot of area. the hills in the south and west aren't really that big of a problem untill you get into williamson county. the percy priest area has really taken off. just look at the overcrowding situation at the antioch schools.

Nasvhille has great golf, climate,city county government, great dinning, the cumberland and TONS of great lakes(member the TVA). Instend of beaches there are beautiful hills and country. There are great parks and trails all around nasvhille. There is also much much more going for nasvhille.

BTW, nasvhille and jacksonville, b'ham, and louisville are really the only important ones. the other are just fillers as would be Mobile. St. Petersburg is part of tampa right? If that is the one that is why it is not on this list. Tampa is already above the other cities on this list.

I've lived in both and though Nashville grew well in the late 90's, it is being surpassed by Jacksonville.

It's really difficult to judge the potential of a city that one has little experience in and that is the biggest issue with this poll. Most have not lived in either city much less both. Many are choosing Nashville simply because it has been known far longer to the common populace than Jacksonville has.

they're doing a great job at preserving its natural beauty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

eh....i'd have to disagree. don't get me wrong, i think nashville is gorgeous and i've lived here for 22 years and don't plan on leaving anytime soon, but i've seen too many farms and hills get destroyed in this city for subdevelopments and walgreens. if i hear about another walgreens or walmart being built in this city i'm going to scream. i mean seriously, do we need a walmart right across from another walmart (and for those of you who aren't in the know, yes, this may actually happen :angry: )? the park system however is very nice and am glad we have so many nice outdoor areas to play in. i just hope they stay put or hopefully expand.

Yes jacksonville has a beautiful bridge and river and had the super bowl. Nashville should have built a dome and we could have had to super bowl but jacksonville does have THE GRAND OLE OPLY AND MUSIC ROW . Jacksonville may have the beaches but will have the hills ...... Jacksonville just doesnt have the history of nashville and the music and thats gives nashville an edge..

Jacksonville just doesnt have the history of nashville and the music and thats gives nashville an edge..

Not that it matters, since the topic is about who has the most potential, but Jax has a rich history as well. Its the home of the South's largest urban fire, the first region to be settled in America, the original gateway to Florida becoming the tourist mecca it is today and one of the South's early large maritime & shipbuilding centers.

As for history, the area has the oldest Eurpean settlement in the entire Western Hemisphere. Amelia Island has been under the control of 7 different countries. Now that is rich history. They've discovered Spanish Gelleons that sank in the St Johns.

If you are talking modern history, then yes, Nashville has been on the 'known city' map for much longer and that is well due in thanks to its country music roots.

Music will only carry a city so far. Especially with country music fading more and more each year.

Yes, I known country music is fading but its Music city U.S.A not Country..,

Nashville is the place that everyone records and do free consert all year around....Jax has a lot of history but I just just tease lakelander,,, If i didn't vote for nashville ,JAX would have got my vote,,,

Lakelander U are the first person in the world to beg about a FIRE ......I rest my case lol .GO NASHVILLE

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cover-klutho2.jpg

I mentioned the Great Fire of 1901, because you mentioned Jax's history was basically insignificant, compared to Nashville's. However, the aftermath of the fire was very significant, in the fact that a great building boom quickly occured, following the fire. In fact, boom, swiftly lead to rapid population growth that made the city of Jax surpass Nashville, in population, nearly 30 years before the city/county consolidation of 1968.

The fire also resulted in several architects and planners, such as H.J. Klutho & Fredrick Law Olmstead, moving to town or taking jobs contributing to the city having the largest urban park system, in the US today & it having the largest amount of significant Prairie Styled Architecture (a breif movement lead by Louis Sullivan & Frank Llyod Wright) outside of the Midwest. These distinct historical features, plus the location of being on a large river and the Atlantic Coast, the steel truss bridges & Naval military installations, make Jax a very unique Southern city, especially in terms of history. Next time you're in town, I'll be glad to give you a personal tour....I'm sure, like many of the Super Bowl media, you'll quickly change your tune after exploring the area.

Archived