Your Vision of Charlotte

UptownJ

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I think obviously the continuation of high-rise residential will continue.....I think 25-40 stories will become the norm, especially since I forsee land prices skyrocketing even higher. First Ward around College, Brevard and Caldwell streets will see a tremendous boom of residential with heights tapering off to the 6-10 story range further from the center of town. I believe that we will get an uptown baseball stadium within 5 years on Graham at 4th St, and probably another hotel over there. I believe Charlotte will also get at least one high-end hotel (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton etc.), probaby at the corner of College and Trade streets by the BofA parking deck. We will also likely get another farily high-end hotel like another Hyatt or a W somehwhere in 3rd Ward.

2nd Ward will be slow to fill in at first...I don't expect much in the next five years, but after that more midrsie should occur....6-8 story range with a few decent towers 15-25 stories mixed in. I think there will be another Harris Teeter in 2nd ward in maybe 6 years. Gateway Village could add up to two more buildings, one of them is proposed at 14 stories.....also Johnson and Wales will need to add at least two more buildings, an academic building and another residential building.

In about 15 years, I think uptown will begin to build out and Southend will see much more pressure, especially in the Wilmore area and Sedgefield areas.....this is the point in which the light rail will begin to become very effective. 3-5 story development will also creep out Central Avenue. The Elizabeth Avenue area in about 5 years will really pick up steam and it will become the "intown" shopping destination with a moderate amount of residential.

All of the projects listed above in my second post are for Uptown Charlotte in or around the belt line. So we are showing lots of proposed things... I hope all get approved & built.

What I would like to see in Charlotte.... We'll I would like to see the demand for office space grow by leaps and bounds, equally as strong as the condo growth. It would mean more Office High Rise. So we'll have to really work hard on getting big name companies back into the core.

I like the epacenter project, but truly would like to see the growth of basic street level retail... esp along the Eliz. ave and Midtown Square.

Midtown, I hope to see in about 10 years to have a number of 10 to 15+ story condo towers based around a nice park and shopping. Truly making it an escape from the city in the heart of dt.

If we ever get a major legued team, we should deff. build a dt stadium. Btw that, the pathers, and nascar hall of fame, I think it 5 to 10 years, we should be come a real hot spot for anything and everything, bringing tourest to DT.

With the growth of the light rail lines and better transit systems, we will spawn midrises where ever there is a rail station and extra space. and in about 10 year South Blvd is going to look completely different because of redevelopement due to rail.

IN 10 to 15 years I see our sky line as a large cluster of towers, Dt being a true urban core. Also within that time I see about 3 maybe 4, 60+ towers being built withone of those being 100+.

I see the gateways into dt, as hip urban centers focused on entertainment and filled with mid rises with few high rises.

thats all for now, kinda in a hurry so the spelling and typing isn't the best... enjoy and I look forward to seeing everyones elses vision of our growing great city.

Lets dream big!

I'm not quite as optimistic about the construction of huge office towers downtown. I would really like to see the construction of the 300 south Tryon tower ( I think that's the address) This tower's been kicked around for years now; but I really like it's design and the way it would be very dark grey/black. I think that would look really good with the other towers. But even mor than this I would really like to see Wachovia build it's 80 story tower. I think if charlotte had one more signature tower above 650 feet then that would set the stage for mass-mid rise construction in the next 10-15 years. If they dont revive the 80 story building; then the one they're planning now should be at least 550 feet tall and have a very distinctive design (it'd be nice to see a true spire somewhere in charlotte)

I really feel like midrises, though not as exciting, add much more to the non-nine-to-five fabric of the city. I see the construction of many 5-15 story low/mid rises that combine entertainment/office/residential use. Moving the Knights downtown would definitely boost the environment and I feel like some suburbanites may be more inclined to live downtown/near uptown if it's near a triple A baseball park than several huge office towers.

The I really see the reach of uptown extending to all the neighborhoods around it; this is one of charlotte's key strengths. The groundwork is already lain and there are several great neighborhoods just across the freeway from uptown.

One of the best longterm benefits about having a thriving uptown now is that the city itself is growing...and I feel like it's much easier to convince new charlotteans (perhaps those from the NE) to live uptown than those that are already here. And once the city stops growing, and uptown is truly thriving, than it will be much easier to relocate people from the suburbs to downtown.

I also see the southpark area developing into a great little mid-density semi-urban area. Building residential mid/high rises here has some of the same benefits to livign uptown...rail access, close to where you can work/eat/shop etc.

Charlotte's future is certainly among the brightest of any city in the country.

My vision is a lot more big picture than specific buildings or projects. I would like to see the center city and surrounding neighborhoods really develop individual identities and personalities. I think there is a certain distinction when you hear "Dilworth" or "North Davidson", but I'd like to see each of the Wards and other peripheral neighborhoods evolve further into their own identities. This would include business and residential projects that fit the characters of these neighborhoods - and support the true neighborhood model - such as corner grocery stores and small cafes. I'd prefer charm and a diversity of well-connected neighborhoods over big shiny metropolis everywhere.

I think we're heading in the right direction though. Above all, I'm encouraged to see so many people in government and related organizations committed to growth and improvement. I'd rather see motivated people with big ideas move forward and make the occasional mistake rather than have nothing ever change.

:)

I think that there is going to be a major real estate bust in Charlotte, I also think that Wachovia will merge with another bank and the HQ will move away from Charlotte. I also think that NCDOT will cut highway funding and casue congestion to increase to the point that the Feds cut our funding due to the pollution. At that point I see Charlotte going into an economic depression and negative population growth.

I think that there is going to be a major real estate bust in Charlotte, I also think that Wachovia will merge with another bank and the HQ will move away from Charlotte. I also think that NCDOT will cut highway funding and casue congestion to increase to the point that the Feds cut our funding due to the pollution. At that point I see Charlotte going into an economic depression and negative population growth.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be that drastic, but I do think that at least half of the projects for high-rise residential construction won't get done because demand will be spread too thin. Most of these companies will mistake the cachet that Furman has for insatiable demand for all types of condos regardless of the design and price point. Also, I predict that light rail will sputter under spiraling costs, we'll get a nice big Nascar museum, but only a fraction of the other arts funded projects that have been proposed. Retail uptown will be mostly entertainment retail (bars, restaurants, movie theatres, bowling alleays) and not real shopping. That will be in Elizabeth. All this by 2007.

Then, in late 2007 office construction will pick up again as the economy really heats up - a mirror of the nineties with the Gulf war, recession, slow steady, jobless growth and then catching on fire at the end of the decade. Construction will be a mix of residential and office.

In brief, take all of those projected improvements and cut them in half or tone them down. But, all things considered, uptown will have a nice population of 16,000 (non-student) or so by 2010 with a nice entertainment district, a couple of condo high-rises and a modest park in the 3rd Ward. The biggest effects will be over at Johnson and Wales providing for the students needs.

It's fun to speculate. Perhaps I'll search for this message in 2010 and laugh at myself.

E7

Talk about being optimistic!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you ought to have responded after that turkey sandwich. :silly:

I also think that Wachovia will merge with another bank and the HQ will move away from Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wachovia can not be acquired by any of the Big 3 due to regulation. Wachovia might be a target for a merger with another regional bank to create a national presense, say Wells Fargo. If a merger were to occur with Wells Fargo the strong name branding of "Wachovia" would secure the future name of the banks. From a financial and operations standpoint, Wachovia would be the buyer or pay the premium on Wells Fargo stock.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

uptown, I enjoy your sarcasm, but truthfully I do sometimes worry about one of the banks moving, particularly BofA. I was up in NYC last week and heard many NYers boasting how BofA was poised to move the bank's HQ to the city in light of their $1 billion tower coming online there in 2008 and the additional block of space they just leased in Rockefeller Center. What exactly does CEO Ken Lewis have up his sleeve? I wish I knew before I go long real estate in Charlotte. It's particularly confusing considering BofA just built a state-of-the-art trading floor in the 3-year old Hearst Tower.

This is an old article from creative loafing talking about Charlotte losing its steam as a banking center. The banks here aren't growing locally like they used to nor are the banks here as civic minded in Charlotte as they used to be. I don't think it will be a doomsday scenario but we have been losing some of what we used to get from the banks and we still stand to lose more. Nothing that will kill us but something that will make us work harder to civically achieve what was easier to achieve in the 1990's under leaders like McColl.

Beginning of the End of An Era

This is an old article from creative loafing talking about Charlotte losing its steam as a banking center.  The banks here aren't growing locally like they used to nor are the banks here as civic minded in Charlotte as they used to be.  I don't think it will be a doomsday scenario but we have been losing some of what we used to get from the banks and we still stand to lose more.  Nothing that will kill us but something that will make us work harder to civically achieve what was easier to achieve in the 1990's under leaders like McColl.

Beginning of the End of An Era

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What everyone might not realize, though, is that the vast majority of new jobs created here have nothing to do with the banks. However, a lot of those jobs are not the kind requiring Uptown office space.

Just a couple of notes. There are more jobs in both the manufacturing industrysor the distribution industry that there are in banking. And of course Duke Power doesn't do banking either.

Also, almost all of the destructive urban renewal that destroyed the street level retail and downtown residences was done at the hands of the banks. In fact the last big project that did his was McColl's BofA tower. While quite stunning, it is pretty void of life at ground level. Just an uninviting plaza and a lobby containing elevators. It could have been handled much better.

One of the banks might eventually leave.....it will still be a few years though before that happens. I think Wachovia is goign to stay for a while, seeing that they are planning a new skyscraper. BofA on the other hand is probably more poised to leave. I do feel that the city does need to try to recruit more large headquarters into the city. If even one of the banks leave.....are economy will be shot. With the way US Airways has been struggling and all, our economy will go downhill real quick.

Even if one of the banks moves its hq out of charlotte, it will mostly be a symbolic loss for the city, and, at worst, lower growth rates. Banks have a long history of carefully shifting head-quarters cities without significantly damaging the local economies. the charlotte banks still have significant presence in san fran, atlanta, winston, tampa, new york, boston, philly, etc. etc. etc. etc. If a chalotte bank converts to a NY bank or gets taken over, I think they the employment changes here will be only a little different than normal.

Although i don't think it will be catastrophic for the local economy if the head-quarters is shifted, it will be a significant loss for the city's image and morale. I think so much of charlotte's bragging rights revolves around the bank HQs, this place won't know what the heck to do with itself (do we really want to be the regional trucking city?).

Here are a couple of thoughts on what i think will happen over the next 5-10 years, starting significant population growth north of downtown:

- The garden parkway, the airport's runway extension and fourth runway, will all be built within the next 5-10 years. A new multi-modal freight hub will be built south of the airport to replace the rail yards between downtown and i85. As a result, significant trucking and freight railway traffic will be no longer be based in the inner city. A major effort will be placed on reconnecting the street grid, cleaning up brownfields, and rezoning for high-density urban living between downtown, noda, 77 and 85.

- The government spending to rebuild piedmont courts, belmont, and optimist park will create significant residential in-fill momentum along the north light-rail corridor to noda.

- The multi-modal train station will be built on trade, and the rail through fourth ward will be rebuilt. The ADM mill will be relocated. A significant 10th street- Seaboard Street connector will be built to open the northern part of fourth ward to development.

^ I don't think the 10th street connector is going to happen (though I prefer it did) Instead the city is looking to extend a road from Graham St. back to Seaboard St. that will go under I-277 and follow the train-tracks more or less. Then they plan to close all rail crossings along that line in Uptown, so there will be no way to get to Seaborad/Hamiltion streets without first leaving uptown. I've seen the CDOT plans and I'm not particularly fond of them, especially if that area is to be transformed into some sort of destination.

thanks for the info. i guess there is still the pedestrian link through the cemetary to 6th and to gateway if nightlife picks up. It would be a little creepy, though, to have a buzz at 2am and walk home through a dark cemetary with battle flags....

I think that area will succeed eventually, even if folks have to go out and back under 277 (almost like morehead does).

Archived