Your Vision of Charlotte

UptownJ

First of all, I wanted to introduce myself because I am a newbie to these forums. I really think it's great that there are many other dreamers and visionaries like myself that imagine the possabilites of what Charlotte can become. I was rasied in Charlotte, but moved to San Francisco in 1995, and lived there off and on for about 7-8 years. Inbetwen those years I have watched Charlotte grow. But at times I really miss the little things larger cites have to offer. So I find myself traveling to other cities looking to capture what I'm missing. One of the things I have realized is that I miss diversity the most. When I talk about diversity, Im not talking specifically about ethnicity. Im talking about everything. With that said I would love to see more options.

-I mean, not just more stores, but stores Charlotte doesn't have Macy's Nordstroms, Etc... and I don't even shop. But I feel there is a need for big name stores for DT to stay vibrant.

-Also on that note Charlotte also needs great Boutique shops DT

-More great resturants, like those mom and pop's resturants. Like a distintive regional spot that I can get the best Carolina Chilli & Slaw dog at 3am. Or if I feel

like it get a Gyro, Sushi, Pizza, Noodle House,etc. ..Just gimme more choices beside the Pita Pit and Fuel, not that I don't like eating there. For instance in Chicago

you could ask any 5 locals whats their favorite Deep Dish Pizza joint is, and you could

probably get 5 diffent answers.

-An Art/Science/Acting/Broadcasting college DT would also be great to see. Any of

them would be nice. Some where along the lines of New York School of the Arts, or MIT something with great teachers that make the school perdominant.

-Nice parks, on the scale of Chicago's Millenium Park, or San Fran's Yeurba Beuna

Park, or even Central park. Those are real parks with tons of activities from Museums to Japanese Tea Gardens to Wind Mills to Ice Skating rinks the 1/2 the size of Eastlands.

-Some great inovative architecture, that use or have implemented in their design to

renew energy. Like in some projects in Germany and the Sweden

-Major League Baseball

-An Opera House

-Some sort of International Market, that also shows off the different styles off

architecture. Ex. Japan Town, SF/Chinatown,BC/Mission District,SF/etc.. Charlotte

needs more than just Central Ave. We need areas to truely express different

cultures.

- A college radio station period. Gastonia has one, why can't we? A good College

radio station can leave listners with a true alternative to mainstream music. This is

a large reason why Charlotte is a "Cover Band" type of city. If all the people in

Charlotte only have Clear Channel and Infinity run radio stations to listen to, then

that is what the majority of Charlotte is willing to go pay to see.

-More nightclubs/lounges that play more than just Top 40 Hip-Hop, Country or

Techno (By the way I despise the word Techno) I mean there are so many other

genres. Jazz, Acid Jazz/Down Tempo, Soulful House, Blues, Funk

-More great music venues, I like the ones we have, but the more the better. I want a place like the Tabbernickel in Atlanta, Filmore in SF, Orbit Room in Toronto, I want to be able to see a great Local Funk band in a small intimate place, to seeing Norah Jones in a classy ballroom like venue. I hope Noah Lazes vision comes true for Charlotte.

-An Aquarium or Zoo would be nice too.

-More great dense neighborhoods with character. All large growing cities have many great dense districts. I want to walk to my favorite Jazz Club, then eat some All-you-can-eat Korean BBQ, then grab a good German beer, then catch a great independent film all in 3 blocks. And then be able to do something totally different within those same 3 blocks the very next night.

If the developers in Charlotte make the right decission I belive Charlotte can truely becaome a "World Class City"

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this has been covered numerous times. Charlotte is in the growiing stages. Chicago and San Francisco are very old cities. Realize that Charlotte doesn't have all of the things that the mega cities have. Charlotte is no hick town. As a matter of fact, one out of seven families speaks a language other than English. There are numerous sushi houses and great pizza places especially for a city of 1.6 million. Maybe you can't get the great deep pan pizza in Charlotte you can get in Chicago, but you can't get good Carolina BBQ or catfish as good in Chicago or San Francisco as you can in Charlotte. I say this from experience.

Archived