Nashville: More H'ville development

it's just dave

I love the new development going on in the central city. But, of course, we can't stop the burbs from doing what they do. In addition to the Sumner Pointe development, here's yet another traffic choker. Oh well, what can we say.

At least it's mixed-use with future rail considerations.

Hendersonville to get new lifestyle center

By Judith R. Tackett, [email protected]

January 21, 2005

The newest proposal for a mixed-use lifestyle center is in Hendersonville and, at 260 acres, is by far the largest in the area.

Developers for Indian Lake Village, as the open-air mall with office and residential features will be called, presented preliminary plans to the Hendersonville Planning Commission this week.

The development would be located on both sides of the new Indian Lake Boulevard between the Vietnam Veterans Bypass and the CSX railroad bridge.

Hendersonville Planning Director Fred Rogers said the zoning for the new lifestyle center is already in place and a new ordinance is in the works that would allow up to 25 percent of residential development in commercial zoning.

Developer HALO Properties LLC will present a master plan for the lifestyle center, which would make all the parcels along Indian Lake Boulevard subject to several master plans, Rogers said.

"This is by far one of the largest proposed developments to ever be presented in Hendersonville," said Don Long, mayoral assistant and director of economic and community development.

The Indian Lake Village proposal calls for up to three million square feet of single tenant and multi-tenant office space, more than 500,000 square feet of high-end commercial and retail space, a multiplex theater, hotels, executive suites, garden condominiums, upscale apartment homes, live-work units, and a light rail transit stop.

The development will be constructed as a village and be built out over 10-15 years.

Project Manager David Coode with Lose & Associates said the project is still in the conceptual phase with construction to begin this fall.

"Our desire is to have a maximum of 25 percent of the overall development to be residential housing, upscale condominium/townhouse type use," Coode said, adding the goal is to create a live-work area for young professionals and people interested in having easy access to restaurants and city amenities such as the nearby greenway and parks.

Developers would set aside a location for a light rail station for future connection to Nashville.

The northeast corridor is third in line on the Regional Transportation Authority's plan for alternative transportation.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hendersonville needs this...if we are ever going to be able to really make improvements to the city we need the tax dollars that this will bring. We can't rely on property taxes while our residents send their money into Davidson and Williamson County. Not to mention the inclusion of residential space and office space will mean a weaker impact on traffic and a link to the commuter rail is always good. Hendersonville remains the region's strongest proponent of mass transit options.

• 2 months later...

http://tennessean.com/business/archives/05...ent_ID=67488671

700 homes, almost 300 apartments, 43-acre office park, 350,000sqft of retail space...

This is the newest big development to hit Sumner County following the announcement of Sumner Pointe, the Streets at Indian Lake, and the yet unnamed Open Air Mall between Hendersonville and Gallatin.

Sumner County has definitely taken a different direction from the rest of the Nashville metro. Even Cool Springs isn't seeing this kind of quality (for suburbs) retail development.

I saw this today. I'm glad they'll save the old house. She looks so folorn out there right now. Kind of freaky, actually. I'm heading up this weekend with my camera before I miss the change to photograph the old house in its current "freakiness."

Sumner's certainly on the move. Sumner's growth coincides with the recent ranking of Nashville as one of the tighest retail vacancy markets in the U.S. We were in the Top 5 with the lowest retail vacancy rates, along with D.C. Seattle, Portland and.... well, I don't remember. So looks like all these new outdoor centers will do okay. I'm just stunned at the sheer number of them.

I saw this today. I'm glad they'll save the old house. She looks so folorn out there right now. Kind of freaky, actually. I'm heading up this weekend with my camera before I miss the change to photograph the old house in its current "freakiness."

Sumner's certainly on the move. Sumner's growth coincides with the recent ranking of Nashville as one of the tighest retail vacancy markets in the U.S. We were in the Top 5 with the lowest retail vacancy rates, along with D.C. Seattle, Portland and.... well, I don't remember. So looks like all these new outdoor centers will do okay. I'm just stunned at the sheer number of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kennesaw is really just copying other Sumner developments like Monthaven Place and Fairvue which are developments centered around restored 19th century homes. The Hunt Club is centered around an old silo which looks like a European castle's tower.

Even with low vacancy rates, I am nervous about how these three large scale retail developments, the many numerous outlets u/c, and existing Rivergate Mall will coexist.

I guess we'll just have to shop more.

I can do that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the theory is that high income families from not only Hendersonville but all of North and East Nashville (Hermitage, Inglewood, etc.) will come to Hendersonville to shop instead of heading to Green Hills and Cool Springs. The new stores would also create a draw for weekend shoppers from Bowling Green and Clarksville.

Archived