Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaxInvestor

The San Marco Place Ceremony...

9 posts in this topic

A good time was had by all...here are some pics...

rendering.jpg

A very nice rendering of the building on hand at the ceremony.

folks.jpg

Right after the ribbon got cut--one of the developers (Michael)---sorry Jay got cut out of the right side of the photo---with Mayor Peyton and the realtors selling the place.

MeAndMyMayor.jpg

And my personal favorite---Me&MyMayor :)

Got a chance to chat a few minutes with him about downtown development among other things...was first time meeting him...impressed--very approachable guy.

I'm glad you had a good time. So what did the Mayor have to say about downtown development? Are there any new projects in the works that we might not be aware of?

I'm glad you had a good time.  So what did the Mayor have to say about downtown development?  Are there any new projects in the works that we might not be aware of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, no new projects (or at least that he could talk about i guess), but i did ask...he just mentioned a few of the ones we all know and talk about on here. I mentioned the need for more restaurants and he said of course we need folks housed downtown first. He did mention the Japanese restaurant new in downtown (he thought it was on Bay St)...anyone been there?

I've only peeked my head in once, to look at a menu. The Japanese restuarant is on Adams Street. There aren't any new restaurants along Bay Street that I'm aware of. Downtown should get a major boost this year when the Carlington, Churchwell and Lerner Shops buildings are completed.

The Japanese restaurant is called "Ieyasu of Tokyo." It is actually not entirely new. I think Ieyasu used to be located where the new library parking garage is now, but the building was demolished in the late 80's or early 90's. The owner decided to re-open it because he liked downtown, I guess.

I ate there in December, and enjoyed it a great deal. The decor is a little stupid (very contemporary corporate yet casual style, in my opinion) but the food is the best japanese I've had in Jax. Much better than the stereotypical "bene hana" style japanese steakhouses.

Be warned, it's moderately expensive. But you should go if you have the time/money.

Glad that you had a fun time with Mayor Peyton. It looks like Jacksonville is coming along fine with Mayor Peyton at the helm. I like the ice sculpture a lot. Thanks for the look at the ceremony.

Ieyasu also is a good place for lunch downtown too. The prices are comparable with other establishments for lunch. I agree the ambience is a little cliche, nontheless, stilla great place to eat. Also, La Cena on the ground floor of the Elks building on Laura is a great place for dinner. A little pricy but the chef/ owner, Jerry I think his name is, is a great guy and fantastic cook.

lol, that's funny how Peyton thought Ieyasu was on Bay. But that looked like a nice "meet&greet" for you, JaxInvestor. You could post that in the "Post Ur Pics" thread, with your mayor.

Glad to see Peyton is patronizing these new restaraunts....

By the way, Jerry Moran's La Cena is outstanding. I've been there at least four times, got four different things, and loved all of them. And yes, it is quite a bit more pricey than Ieyasu (which is also good, and I didn't mind the decor). Expect to break $100 for dinner for 2, while I was able to get out of Ieyasu for about $50 for 2.