Historic Trams of Australia

Delta

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW The clalender has detailed info accompanying the pics of what and where the trams are. If you're interested, just ask about the numbered pic.

I will say that No. 3 was taken in Feb. 1958 and apparently it was the 3rd runaway tram that dived into Sydney Harbour. How things have changed!

My favourite is No. 11 with the partial view of a Cravan A Virginia Cigarette banner. :wub:

Taken in 1952, the line obviously ran down to the Neutral Bay ferry jetty on Sydney Harbour. I also love the trammies (Aussie slang for tram conducters) in their "cute" official-looking uniforms.

The line disappeared in the 60s and was replaced by buses.

Does Australia have a historical tram line like SF's F-Line? That would be cool and attract a lot of people. Besides, what happened to that runaway tram? Is it still there rotting or is it repaired?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firstly one of San Fran's F-Line Trams:

fline1.jpg

I believe they initially served the city since 1873, and in 1988, The "F" line was dedicated with 17 newly restored PCC trolleys (trams). Now they serve Market St, The Embarcadero, Fisherman

Those are great!  Thanks for posting them Delta. I agree about #3, I bet that made for a really bad day for someone. #2 is my favorite.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My pleasure monsoon :thumbsup:

#2 is dropcentre tram No. 313 on its morning run on Brunswick St, Fortitude Valley in November 1968, enroute to Enoggera which is a suburb approx. 3 miles north-west of the Brisbane CBD. This route closed a few weeks later on 1st December, 1968. The entire dropcentre tram system in Brisbane finally came to an end on 13th April, 1969.

Sydney of yesteryear:

georgesttrams.jpg

Archived