Lofty Ambitions

dnast

The link is http://e.domaindlx.com/michigancities/Flint2.htm. Some of the captions are wrong, but I don't feel like fixing them, and nobody is going to look at the site anyway. It doesn't use meta tags, so Google's not finding this one!

What about the Ferris Fur Building? It was supposed to be converted into lofts, but it's another Kloss Building...will we ever see renovations on it?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is possible. With the growing trend of loft living, many new loft buildings have popped up, especially in cities where old industrial buildings are in short supply.

As far as where to put them, there is more than enough space. There are a lot of surface lots to build on. And tearing down short buildings and/or incorporating them into a larger building would work too. I'd love to that big lot on Saginaw Street disappear. Flint would seem a lot more urban if that was filled with buildings. Even something as short as 3-4 stories would work, although I'd like to see something around 6 if possible.

Yeah, I was looking at some old photos of Flint just the other day. I never realized how much we lost. It is amazing. I will have to post those later today when I get the chance. Still, there is no reason why we can't reinvent downtown. It could really become a trendy place if city leaders make the right decisions.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I found this today on whatsupdowntown.com, first time I've remembered to check there in awhile. :P

Uptown Developments LLC to Celebrate the Official

Construction Start of the First Street Lofts

DATE: Thursday, May 19, 2005

TIME: 10:00 a.m.

(adjacent to the Republic Bank Building)

DETAILS: Uptown Developments LLC, Uptown Reinvestment

Corporation and community leaders will celebrate the official start of

construction for the First Street Lofts, Flint's premier loft address

located in downtown Flint.

* C.S. Mott Foundation

* Ruth Mott Foundation

* Bishop Trust

* Michigan Historic Preservation Office and

* National Parks Service

PARTNERS:

* Uptown Developments LLC

* Uptown Reinvestment Corporation

* Michigan Economic Development Corporation

* City of Flint

* Genesee County

* Community Foundation of Greater Flint

Good timing. I don't think they've updated the site in a month or two. The sad thing is that they were awarded a grant for the website a few months ago. I hope it's just that they're redoing the whole thing and it's taking a while.

Here's a pic from today.

first_street_lofts-20050518-01.jpg

I noticed they were removing the Republic Bank sign. I wonder if the Historic Commision will allow modern signage to replace it.

I'm really curious to see what they're going to do with that section of the facade. What was there originally?

I don't know if I'd like to see modern signage there. If the purpose of taking the brown marble off is to bring back a more vintage look, I'd really like to see classic styled signage.

Vee Fan, the facade originally looked something like this. To my knowledge, they are still planning to restore it to its original look. I can't find any historical photos that show the side of the building well. Why is it so difficult to research Flint? I swear...there is more historical information on just about every other city!

255_EXTERIOR_LOFTS_FINAL.jpg

I couldn't remember what it looked like, either. Thanks. I can definitely live with it if it looks like that! I didn't realize there was that much work to be done. I guess we have a lot more waiting to do.

Does anyone know what the facade materials are for the First Street Lofts? I can't seem to nail down what the facade is composed of, but whatever it is it's nice. I wish Lansing had a building so nice.

How many apartments/condos are being formed in this building?

I'll let somebody that has studied architecture or engineering tell you about the materials. Anything from me will be closer to a wild guess.

I do know that 16 loft apartments are going into the building.

• 2 years later...

Archived