PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Station on Track for Demolition (PROJO)

http://www.projo.com/ri/pawtucket/content/...4U.337f0d2.html

This is getting uncomfortable for me. Why can't the city give the developers a huge tax incentive or something to pay to fix up the station AND build thier stupid CVS (maybe even incorportae the 2 somehow). ARRRGHH

Station on Track for Demolition (PROJO)

http://www.projo.com/ri/pawtucket/content/...4U.337f0d2.html

This is getting uncomfortable for me. Why can't the city give the developers a huge tax incentive or something to pay to fix up the station AND build thier stupid CVS (maybe even incorportae the 2 somehow). ARRRGHH

City council meeting is Wednesday, Dec. 6th, at 7pm. I encourage anyone with any interest in the train station at all to attend the meeting and speak FOR the city placing the building on the list for eminent domain. If there was ever a case for using eminent domain (original Penn Station fight and loss, anyone, the one that started the entire historic preservation movement), this is it.

I'll be there.

Also, check out the public letter to CVS at Pawtucket Alliance for Downtown website - its pretty awesome.

The City could easily raise the funds to pay for the depot through general obligation bonds, which would be paid for by increased tax revenue related to development around the train station. I don't think anyone can doubt for even a second that if they build it, people will build.

Absolutely right!

I'm all for eminent domain in this particular case. This property is a historical landmark in a very vibrant urban area, and would serve the community as a much-needed transportation resource.

I used to live in Pawtucket, and I believe this is a critical project for future economic development and the ongoing downtown revitalization.

It is worth saving!

BTW, this perspective is freakin absurd. The City could easily raise the funds to pay for the depot through general obligation bonds, which would be paid for by increased tax revenue related to development around the train station. I don't think anyone can doubt for even a second that if they build it, people will build.

City councils make me want to shoot myself in the face on a regular basis.

couldn't the city be assisted by the state in paying for it since it could be used as another stop for the boston commuter rail and possibly a RI light rail line?

This very minute, workers are tearing down part of the station on the Central Falls side, illegally.

Interesting, considering there is a City Council vote on it tomorrow.

Currently, the city of pawtucket is in court trying to get an injunction and stop work order. Very interesting to see how CVS and this developer operate...

Another Joey Paveolino anyone? Guess thats the way they do it in Memphis...

This very minute, workers are tearing down part of the station on the Central Falls side, illegally.

Currently, the city of pawtucket is in court trying to get an injunction and stop work order. Very interesting to see how CVS and this developer operate...

yikes. i'm not sure i like CVS anymore...

Please keep us up to date on anything PADS is working on in response to this. I'm all about a CVS boycott at this point. And if there's anyway you can get some photos of what's going on, send 'em my way.

And P-f'ing-S: Where the F*CK is David Brussat when something important is actually at risk. Disgraceful!

Currently, the city of pawtucket is in court trying to get an injunction and stop work order.

Why don't the officials have the power to stop the demolition without the injuction and stop work order? I would have thought that if a company is unable to produce the permit, any on-site official would have the power to immediately order all demolition to cease without the additional bureaucracy of a judicial order.

Why don't the officials have the power to stop the demolition without the injuction and stop work order? I would have thought that if a company is unable to produce the permit, any on-site official would have the power to immediately order all demolition to cease without the additional bureaucracy of a judicial order.

that's my thought as well.

Does the building actually straddle the border?

Maybe CF doesn't care about the station. I'm not sure what Pawtucket can do to stop demolition on the CF side. I think CF sees a few extra tax dollars as more than enough justification to destroy this building.

Maybe CF should no longer be incorporated as it's own town, actually, but that's a different story.

Edited by brick

I haven't seen it, but I've been told "they had already done much damage".

The City of Pawtucket recieved an injunction and placed a stop work order on Seelbinder for 8 days. Even if CF did grant a demo permit, work cannot begin without permits in place from Pawtucket as well.

Pretty freakin' awful situation all around...

A.ssholes!

I feel so helpless right now.

Sounds like a repeat of the Leroy to me.

I feel like this sets back the future of Pawtucket.. its just the same old thing, business as usual. One crappy box store after another... No respect for history or development untile the entire area is just a big North Main Street.

Well done A.ssholes.. If this is what i have to look forward to I'm selling my house and moving back to Providence.

The grass isn't always greener in Providence. This isn't the first time that historic buildings have been illegally demolished, it won't be the last, and it happens in a lot of places (unfortunately). We're not helpless. There can still be a traditionally urban designed station that incorporates intermodal transit and provides a lasting benefit to Pawtucket. Unfortunately, it won't be a building that represents the restored station in as close to its original form as posssible.

Hopefully, those involved in this illegal demolition will be prosecuted and held accountable, but this process to transform this decaying station into a well-designed asset for Pawtucket is far from over.

Pawtucket folks should find an abutter and sue. today is definately a day when i wish i had gone to law school as planned! If the demo happened on the CF side, then town of pawtucket can get on board as an amicus, and then pawtucket folks don't have to sue pawtucket for allowing this to happen. Where's Yossarian--he'll know what to do!

Edited by jencoleslaw

The grass isn't always greener in Providence. This isn't the first time that historic buildings have been illegally demolished, it won't be the last, and it happens in a lot of places (unfortunately). We're not helpless. There can still be a traditionally urban designed station that incorporates intermodal transit and provides a lasting benefit to Pawtucket. Unfortunately, it won't be a building that represents the restored station in as close to its original form as posssible.

Hopefully, those involved in this illegal demolition will be prosecuted and held accountable, but this process to transform this decaying station into a well-designed asset for Pawtucket is far from over.

Very good point..I re-read what I posted and realized I'm just venting.

I just got off the phone with the Pawtucket Times (I called to alert them) and they were all over it. One of the editors told me that they took off the roof of the station before Pawtucket could serve them with a cease and desist order.

As soon as i get back to RI tonight I'm going over to the station.. I hope that whats left is still salvageable.

I'm definitely going to that meeting tomorrow.. should be interesting.

Edited by bloodyrocker