PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a CVS need 73 parking spaces? And why does anything need a double drive-thru? And if you have a double drive-thru, why do you need parking at all? I'm all for a compromise that saves the station, but my Maude, how much parking do we need?! And I've been to that site, there's room for 73 parking spaces, there's probably room for 173 parking spaces.

Why does a CVS need 73 parking spaces? And why does anything need a double drive-thru? And if you have a double drive-thru, why do you need parking at all? I'm all for a compromise that saves the station, but my Maude, how much parking do we need?! And I've been to that site, there's room for 73 parking spaces, there's probably room for 173 parking spaces.

I once read that chain stores like to have a surplus of parking spaces, more than they actually need, to give customers the sense that "parking isn't a problem."

Americans are so used to convenience that the mere idea of looking for a parking space or having to wait a minute is unacceptable.

I once read that chain stores like to have a surplus of parking spaces, more than they actually need, to give customers the sense that "parking isn't a problem."

My brain just exploded.

People in this country weigh 9,000 pounds, everyone should have their cars taken away.

The design and other work will also add unknown costs to the project. Moses said he suggested to Cassidy that Pawtucket should pay for the Broad Street work if it goes forward, and Cassidy said "we'd consider it," Moses related.

OK, so I guess this means that Seelbinder should pay to repair the damage his cranes did to the depot.

AND WE WANT ALL THE BRICKS BACK IN THEIR ORIGINAL PLACES. :angry:

i've never seen a CVS require 73 spaces, not even the behemoth in wakefield. and a DOUBLE DRIVE THRU?!?! i've never seen anyone use pharmacy drive thru's before. i can understand (sort of) the one on mineral spring, but not a CVS. there's no way they'll have a need for that.

i've never seen a CVS require 73 spaces, not even the behemoth in wakefield. and a DOUBLE DRIVE THRU?!?! i've never seen anyone use pharmacy drive thru's before. i can understand (sort of) the one on mineral spring, but not a CVS. there's no way they'll have a need for that.

My favorite were the drive-thru liquor stores in Arizona, on the way out to the Rez....

Urb

God, you'd think a convenience store in a DOWNTOWN could function sufficiently with on-street parking only. No, we need 73 parking spaces solely so we can all get our candy bars and cigarettes and maybe some prescriptions every now and then...

As I've said before in this thread, CVS wants this to be a lifestyle store, like the ginormous store on Oaklawn Ave. in Cranston. Basically these things are reactions to Target and Walmart take scrip business - they are making their own stores that carry even more goods.

I'm against the whole thing, but I think it's important to understand what we are dealing with here. It's not just a rudimentary 5,000 s.f. CVS. I believe this one is originally slated to be 17,000 s.f.

there's one (or used to be one) in willimantic, CT. a town known as the heroin capitol of the northeast. go figure.

A google research of your claim tends to support some validity of your claim, but it seems unlikely of Willamantic being so far from a mid-sized to larger metropolitan center. Perhaps it's due to a bad reputation. Look at Central Falls. They've been declared as the cocaine capital of the US. Well, as a few years ago.

Edited by Frankie811

As I've said before in this thread, CVS wants this to be a lifestyle store, like the ginormous store on Oaklawn Ave. in Cranston. Basically these things are reactions to Target and Walmart take scrip business - they are making their own stores that carry even more goods.

I'm against the whole thing, but I think it's important to understand what we are dealing with here. It's not just a rudimentary 5,000 s.f. CVS. I believe this one is originally slated to be 17,000 s.f.

good point. CVS now has their own line of small pieces of furniture and has been selling a lot more household goods and small appliances than they used to.

A google research of your claim tends to support some validity of your claim, but it seems unlikely of Willamantic being so far from a mid-sized to larger metropolitan center. Perhaps it's due to a bad reputation. Look at Central Falls. They've been declared as the cocaine capital of the US. Well, as a few years ago.

my claim comes from a somewhat recent (in the past 4-5 years) article in the hartford courant regarding the drug and prostitution problems in willi. while it may have cleaned up a bit since, the bad reputation is because of what was actually a distribution point for heroin to the boston and new york metro areas. it might be hard to believe considering willi is so small and a good 30-40 min from the nearest major city (hartford), but this has all been tracked for quite some time. i didn't believe it when i originally heard it from college friends who lived in the area (i went to uconn, which is 10-15 min away). but the article in the courant was well researched and basically told me what those friends had been saying all along.

my claim comes from a somewhat recent (in the past 4-5 years) article in the hartford courant regarding the drug and prostitution problems in willi. while it may have cleaned up a bit since, the bad reputation is because of what was actually a distribution point for heroin to the boston and new york metro areas. it might be hard to believe considering willi is so small and a good 30-40 min from the nearest major city (hartford), but this has all been tracked for quite some time. i didn't believe it when i originally heard it from college friends who lived in the area (i went to uconn, which is 10-15 min away). but the article in the courant was well researched and basically told me what those friends had been saying all along.

Indeed, you don't have to be a big city to have a major drug problem and/or reputation. Northampton and Nantucket (of all places) both have notorious reputations for their part in the New England heroin trade along with Willimantic.

If the issue is gaining the necessary space for 18 of the 73 required parking spaces for the site, couldn't Pawtucket and Central Falls agree to issue a waiver to allow fewer spaces? Given the location of the site, there would be a large portion of walking trips, there is already ample on-street parking, and the inclusion of an MBTA station would mean more auto-free trips.

Actually, I watched a "48 Hours" report on the heroin problem in Willamantic. It was a serious problem there.