PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

I would think it is a good thing, no?

This means that the Paw/Cf station is the most likely place, and looking at the other possible sites in Pawtucket would be less than ideal. I know there were one or two other locations in Pawtucket that were looked at.

Edited by brick

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This means that the Paw/Cf station is the most likely place, and looking at the other possible sites in Pawtucket would be less than ideal. I know there were one or two other locations in Pawtucket that were looked at.

i guess that depends on whether or not there's other possible locations in CF.

i guess that depends on whether or not there's other possible locations in CF.

4tut8pl.jpg

The area north of the Station is CF. I marked the rail line for commuter rail in red. you can see it splits off to the right and quickly into S. Attleboro, by the holding facility which I'm sure doesn't need a train stop.

I guess there are a couple of possible sites but nothing that looks as convenient as the station.

There will be a final public meeting tomorrow night (June 7th) at the Visitor's Center Theater, from 7-9pm for the Feasibility Study which is being conducted by the cities of Central Falls and Pawtucket, with funding from RIDOT, FTA and FHWA. The presentation will include a summary of the Study's findings and an explanation of the next steps. Hope to see you there.

I'm not sure. My understanding of the article is that the restoration of the station is the most costly and that becuase it is located on a curve, the less likely. The straight stretch just north of the station seems to be the one the consultants are saying is the most ideal.

There will be a final public meeting tomorrow night (June 7th) at the Visitor's Center Theater, from 7-9pm for the Feasibility Study which is being conducted by the cities of Central Falls and Pawtucket, with funding from RIDOT, FTA and FHWA. The presentation will include a summary of the Study's findings and an explanation of the next steps. Hope to see you there.

I had a prior engagement that kept me from the meeting last night, but if anyone would care to give us a rundown of what happened and what was said, it would be greatly appreciated.

I had a prior engagement that kept me from the meeting last night, but if anyone would care to give us a rundown of what happened and what was said, it would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't get there until 7:45, so I missed the main presentation. There were about 20 people there, none of whom seemed very upset, so I don't think anything outrageous was said.

There is funding in place for train stations in Warwick and Wickford Junction, and Pawtucket/CF is third after them. The MBTA has agreed to have a Pwkt/CF stop if they stay on the main train track, which seems to be doable. Any funding for this project would be unrelated to any train expansion to Fall River/New Bedford. Some kind of development is going to be built in Attleboro by the train station, but they are not adding a ton of parking with this development, so as ridership increases, a Pwtk/CF station makes sense. Someone mentioned that 90% of cars in the South Attleboro train station parking lot have RI plates, so obviously RIers use the train.

The presenter seemed pretty upbeat and a lot of people were talking about the need for advocacy on a state and federal level to make sure this gets done.

The reason I was late was that I had a cocktail party to go to at the G-Tech building from 6-7, so hopefully I was the drunkest person at the train meeting and a more sober person will have more details.

Some kind of development is going to be built in Attleboro by the train station, but they are not adding a ton of parking with this development, so as ridership increases, a Pwtk/CF station makes sense.

Yes, downtown Attelboro is supposed to see major redevelopment to become a more transit oriented town center in the next decade, lots of housing right near the station.

So Cotuit wasn't there...?

I wish I was, but I have TB, or Whooping Cough, or Meningitis, or Sickle Cell Anemia, I'm not sure which one, I've just been doing NyQuil Shots with DayQuil chasers all week. The cool thing is, I can taste colors now. :wacko:

Attleboro or South Attleboro with the RI plates?

I don't remember...and that's why someone not drunk should tell us what happened. Now that I think about it though, I'm pretty sure they were talking about South Attleboro.

I'd never been to the Visitor's Center before. It's really nice and worth checking out.

Attleboro or South Attleboro with the RI plates?

I know that the South Attleboro station has most of it's parking in the shopping center. If another store gets built, that will will take away those spaces.

probably south attleboro... it's right over the border and parking is cheaper there than providence station.

At our last count, 77% of occupied South Attleboro and 21% of occupied Attleboro spaces were RI plates. That's roughly 775 RI commuters going to those stations.

Information on the Attleboro Intermodal Transportation Center Project can be found on Page 9 here: http://www.srpedd.org/Ch10Commuter.pdf

A render is on page 10. The project will increase the number of parking spaces and put housing on the site.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

so they don't have to pay taxes on the empty portion, and after five years they can claim they couldn't find a suitable reuse and tear it down? And, the owner only has to make "reasonable" attempts to rebuild the torn down part?

Huh.

Jen: Paragraph 4 says they can't tear down any portion until after five years, but paragraph 5 says the owner agrees to put the station on the Historic Register "within the time frame of this Agreement as indicated in Paragraph No. Four (4) above."

Forgive my naivete, but wouldn't being on the Register at the very least make demolition more difficult? :dunno: