PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I understanding this right? -- Pawtucket wants to evaluate the possibility of creating an operating station at _either_ the site of the old station _or_ at another site on Goff St?

I'm not familiar with this second site -- can anyone fill me in?

Thanks!

Jack

So am I understanding this right? -- Pawtucket wants to evaluate the possibility of creating an operating station at _either_ the site of the old station _or_ at another site on Goff St?

I'm not familiar with this second site -- can anyone fill me in?

Thanks!

Jack

It's an old P&W railyard.

• 4 weeks later...

I mentioned in the Pawtucket renaissance thread that I passed by this area and saw a lot of site work being done.

I went back today and there were no No Trespass signs posted so I went to check everything out. One thing is that someone (Amtrak for the Acela?) is putting in a new rail line. They are doing all of the foundation work for it now and have gotten down the stone base.

Inside the station there was also work being done although I couldn't get inside. Looking through the windows, there is a bunch of clean-up activity which is active as evidenced by fresh DD bags in a couple of places.

edit: Reading through this thread I went and looked up the LeRoy theater. I can't believe the theater and the entire block were torn down for a suburban box Walgreen's. Couldn't Walgreen's have been integrated to the existing retail space in the building while also preserving the theater? I mean what super special crap does a Walgreen's need that weren't existant in turn of the century buildings. For a city that decided that it was going to use the arts as a means of gentrification, that was a horrifyingly bad decision.

Edited by brick

The tearing down of the LeRoy was a huge controversy at the time. It happened just before Pawtucket started to remake itself as an arts-oriented city and would almost certainly not happen today given the current climate.

BTW, if you see the movie American Buffalo it was filmed in one of the stores that were part of the LeRoy.

edit: Reading through this thread I went and looked up the LeRoy theater. I can't believe the theater and the entire block were torn down for a suburban box Walgreen's. Couldn't Walgreen's have been integrated to the existing retail space in the building while also preserving the theater? I mean what super special crap does a Walgreen's need that weren't existant in turn of the century buildings. For a city that decided that it was going to use the arts as a means of gentrification, that was a horrifyingly bad decision.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got this from a friend of mine and thought it was intresting

"According to Jim Chelile, District Rep, this project could not happen in the pawt./cf. area until there was an assessment done on 1) the structural integrity 2) the historic value of the old station and 3) the cost of stripping the area and starting from ground zero. ALL of the items I have just mentioned fall mostly on the backs of RI tax payers. Oh yeah and MBTA is highly suspect of the Idea in general according to the rep from Pawt the MBTA feels that they do not need to extend their rail from S. Attleboro to the short distance of CF."

I went on to tell my friend about the work being put in from Mayor Doyle and Mike Cassidy. Does any one (Herb) no anything further about this issue inside of the Pawtucket city council. Is this an issue that is getting the attention that it deserves? Does Pawtucket see this as an economic engine or another tax burden for the tax payers. (The reason I ask is B/C the tone of Jim Chelile seems to be passive when this project is talked about)

I got this from a friend of mine and thought it was intresting

ALL of the items I have just mentioned fall mostly on the backs of RI tax payers.

This is a misleading statement. There has been a major study undertaken by VHB, commissioned by the City of Pawtucket and RIDOT, that is funded by a congressional earmark (ie: federal dollars) from Senator Reed, as well as federal transportation dollars. NONE of it is being funded by RI taxpayers.

From my discussions with city officials, they are VERY much behind rail returning to Pawtucket. Its more when where and how, than if.

Great renderings, btw, though I question the parking garage a bit. I wonder if it would be better to make the Barton Street stop more local and pedestrian serviced, and build a huge new parking garage at South Attleboro, which is more suited to regional car/train commuters.

"According to Jim Chelile, District Rep, this project could not happen in the pawt./cf. area until there was an assessment done on 1) the structural integrity 2) the historic value of the old station and 3) the cost of stripping the area and starting from ground zero. ALL of the items I have just mentioned fall mostly on the backs of RI tax payers. Oh yeah and MBTA is highly suspect of the Idea in general according to the rep from Pawt the MBTA feels that they do not need to extend their rail from S. Attleboro to the short distance of CF."

Not that I can confirm that anything he says is patently untrue, though as eltron pointed out, the siting studies are being done with federal funds, this guy sounds typically anti-transit. I've heard that the T has said exactly the opposite regarding rail in RI. They've said as long as we can fund it, we can build whatever we want and they'll serve it. Also, I don't understand this "extending the short distance to Pawt/CF" statement. The T already goes to Providence and is committed to going to Green, so what the hell does that mean, they aren't extending anything by building/re-opening a station in Pawtucket, they already have trains going through town.

Great renderings, btw, though I question the parking garage a bit. I wonder if it would be better to make the Barton Street stop more local and pedestrian serviced, and build a huge new parking garage at South Attleboro, which is more suited to regional car/train commuters.

I'm pretty sure that's just a study, but it's nice. Current thinking as far as I've heard is that there would be somesort of residential 'tower' on site.

The MBTA has basically said, if we want it, build it, and pay for it, they will come. Look at stations like Canton Junction and Canton Center, they're only a few miles if even that apart. As Eltron said, the S. Attleboro station, with its mediocre pedestrian connections, can be more of a park and ride station, whereas a Pawtucket station can be more of a TOD/neighborhood station.

I personally like the basic design, although I'd like to see no surface parking and a station built to the street, that isn't possible if we are going to keep the existing structure. So, I'll settle and give it my thumbs up, though it would be nice if they densified the housing around the station.

Edited by Recchia

I'm pretty sure that's just a study, but it's nice. Current thinking as far as I've heard is that there would be somesort of residential 'tower' on site.

Yep, the Seelbinder proposal is for strip retail, a residential tower, but also a huge parking garage. I know that one concern of the immediate neighborhood is the parking garage, and I think that is probably a valid concern.

A parking garage is undoubtedly needed, but I wonder how big and how best to work the plans for that site.

its a tough one. Fantastic, but tough, considering the surrounding residential 'hood.

As Eltron said, the S. Attleboro station, with its mediocre pedestrian connections, can be more of a park and ride station, whereas a Pawtucket station can be more of a TOD/neighborhood station.

And while not a huge number, don't forget those who may be driving (or taking RIPTA) to Providence or Warwick for work - a percentage of those folks might find the train easier...

And while not a huge number, don't forget those who may be driving (or taking RIPTA) to Providence or Warwick for work - a percentage of those folks might find the train easier...

Definitely.

Especially south of TF Green, most of the ridership is expected to be Providence bound.

this station project is hot in this forum, but it looks like the renderings came out a year ago and I last recall reading an article about the proposed demolition of this structure a couple months back.

anything new out there on this?

I like those renderings and I am a history buff. So to have Pawtucket back and the old station work fine in my book. In addition, I think this will only bolster the state's hopes of viable alternatives to driving - (specifically train ie: Providence, Pawtucket, Warwick, etc.)