PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

Pawtucket rail yard to be finished in a few months[Projo.com]

Looks like we have some NIMBYs in Attleboro, oh well.

In the decade since the Pawtucket rail yard was planned, subdivisions have been built filled with houses whose occupants are bothered by the noise from the East Junction facility, Lepper said.

You moved in next to a layover and then start complaining?! People amaze me. Oh well, better for us now, we get more commuter rail service. :P

Edited by Recchia

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I got this today from city hall

City of Pawtucket Public Hearing on the

Pawtucket/Central Falls Commuter Rail Study

Thursday, May 18, 2006, 7:00 PM

Blackstone Valley Visitor Center, 175 Main Street, Pawtucket

* The Cities of Pawtucket and Central Falls are studying the feasibility of restoring commuter rail service to our area.

* Come show your support for commuter rail and share your thoughts with the study team.

* For more info contact Susan Mara of the City of Pawtucket Planning Dept. @ 724-5200.

Hope to see you on the 18th!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Depot developer pledges to push for commuter rail stop

http://www.pawtuckettimes.com/site/news.cf...24491&rfi=6

Total BS, IMO. Basically they are saying let's build a strip mall with a T stop attached like S. Attleboro because that is the modern model.

I guess it's true - that is the modern model of completely crappy development.

I love that developers from South Carolina with a partner in Newport know what is best for Paw-CF

I hate to be speculative, but my guess is that these guys have a sweet deal with CVS to build a suburban style crap-o-rama like Wal;green's did when they destroyed the Leroy. It's like the folksi n Woonsocket have been saying "how come Walgreen's got to knock down a perfectly usable and great old building and we can't?"

One of the charters of GC:PVD should be to hand out "razzie" style awards to companies that suck, like the drugstore companies and Wal-Mart.

Edited by brick

One of the charters of GC:PVD should be to hand out "razzie" style awards to companies that suck, like the drugstore companies and Wal-Mart.

It's one of the things under considation, actually, although we were hoping to give out more positive awards...

It's a depressing article in several respects. As a reminder to us Non-Pawtucketians, who are the forces mobilizing for good here and how can we support them?

- Garris

PS: Obligatory reminder to anyone who knows anyone in the Pawtucket Times to please change their online formatting to include indents or spaces between paragraphs. The best I can do with their articles is skim them... They're nearly unreadable.

It's a depressing article in several respects. As a reminder to us Non-Pawtucketians, who are the forces mobilizing for good here and how can we support them?

It really is a depressing article. Tim Hortons? Dunkin Donuts? CVS? WTF? I fear that this is going to turn into the Leroy theatre all over again.

Here are some groups that actually have the brain cells to see the larger view.

The Pawtucket Foundation / Save the Station

PADS Pawtucket Alliance for Downtown Success

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I attended the train meeting on Tuesday and learned that there are way more steps to getting such a project going than I imagined. The speaker appeared genuinely enthusiastic about the project, as did those in attendance, and much of what he said made the project seem fairly plausible. That's the good news - the bad news is that even if everything goes swimmingly it is going to be a long time before we are jumping on the train to Boston and/or Providence from downtown Pawtucket. I believe the estimate was between 5-7 years.

In the meantime, it would be cool if the city would come up with more efficient means to get people to the South Attleboro station which is really just over the Pawtucket border. I'd really love to see a bike path leading to it, but I am prone to fantasy.

dantera

I attended the train meeting on Tuesday and learned that there are way more steps to getting such a project going than I imagined. The speaker appeared genuinely enthusiastic about the project, as did those in attendance, and much of what he said made the project seem fairly plausible. That's the good news - the bad news is that even if everything goes swimmingly it is going to be a long time before we are jumping on the train to Boston and/or Providence from downtown Pawtucket. I believe the estimate was between 5-7 years.

In the meantime, it would be cool if the city would come up with more efficient means to get people to the South Attleboro station which is really just over the Pawtucket border. I'd really love to see a bike path leading to it, but I am prone to fantasy.

dantera

It would actually be a very quick bike ride from downtown Pawtucket...you're right, the City should really play up that biking connection at least with bike lanes and signage...

Actually, according to the article's math, it'd really be between 1,500 and 1,820 users a day if you counted Boston, Providence, and Warwick riders. That's not really even factoring outsiders going INTO Pawtucket to visit depending on how it's downtown turns out in the future. A lot can happen between now and 2030.

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't there like a million empty lots where a CVS could be built? And isn't there already a hundred mega-drug stores in Pawtucket-Central Falls?

Exactly.

If these scummy developers (I can't help feeling that way after seeing what Feldco did to Ft Thunder/ Eagle square) are able to rip down that beautiful building it'll be another lost battle in the war to improve the quality of life in Pawtucket/Central Falls. I'm so sick of these big box and corporate developers who have NO sense of history or preservation or roots in the local community coming in and ripping things apart so that they can sell scratch tickets and prescriptions.. I'm not saying that the community does not need prescriptions but there really are a ton of empty lots where we could fit another ugly ass CVS/BROOKS...

Anyone remember the Leroy theatre?

Anyone remember the Leroy theatre?

Exactly. As I said above, I think CVS is jealous that Walgreen's got to knock down a beautiful

historic building so they decided they should get to do it, also, and got a city councillor (recuse my ass)

in on the deal.

I'll tell you what they could do, take out the stupid Honey Dew donuts that never even finished paving it's parking lot before going under and now being a Caribbean food place. Build the CVS there and give the Caribbean place a nice lease on part of the building. (I don't want it to disappear, per se, just the ugly building). And put it to the street like the entire road used to be. This parcel is literally 500 feet from the train station, I don't think it would affect CVS's business.

Or, hey, how about CVS builds inside the existing station and gets integrated with the station itself? I know, I'm a crazy man.

I was at an event with a woman whose husband just got a job in real estate development for CVS. I said "tell him to stop tearing down buildings to put in big parking lots and crappy bland buildings that look the same as everywhere else." She said he was already frustrated by that, but that the marketing people are extremely rigid in what they want and it takes almost literally putting a loaded gun to their head to get them to consider anything else.