PAWTUCKET STATION THREATENED

To a point, I think you are right, BUT, the city did have the opportunity to buy the station when the previous owner sold to Seelbinder, and chose not to. It would have been a fairly small amount of cash to control the land, then they could have at least controlled the disposition of the property to someone to do kindof what they wanted with it. I think they dropped the ball, especially when the neighborhood was desperate for help. That said, they really have been working hard recently, and I certainly give them credit for that.

I want to know how this dude from freakin' Memphis got tipped off to this particular property in this particular little town, which just happened to be owned by the family of a city councilor...

where's West Side Skeptic when there's an actual conspiracy to dig up?!

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To a point, I think you are right, BUT, the city did have the opportunity to buy the station when the previous owner sold to Seelbinder, and chose not to.

Oh that I have no problem calling the city on the mat about. But that was more recent then 5-10 years ago.

here's some teeny tiny info:

Seelbinder makes contribution to Chaffee

Wow, he doesn't invest his political funds very well does he?

ha!

and some more:

Our ultimate goal is to provide quality facilities

there is an email address...

Yeah.. I almost called them from work yesterday but then realized what I would sound like ranting to some memphis worker drone "them yankees are craaazzee!".

Instead I wrote a letter on behalf of my wife and myself to all the Pawtucket councilmen late last night. I don't know if it will do any good but:

Dear city councilors of Pawtucket,

We are writing you this email in the 12th hour after learning of the demolition that has started on the Pawtucket - Central Falls Railroad Station.

Please help the future of Pawtucket and save the station from being torn down. Not only will Pawtucket lose a great example of its glorious past (RIP Leroy Theatre), We will also lose the opportunity to make a positive change to our community for the future. The station being re-opened for rail service will bring countless people to our town and this will go a long way towards new business starting up around it.. please see the long view on this and support the PRA amendment at the city council hearing on wed Dec 6th.

We have been Pawtucket residents now for 2 & half years. We moved here from Providence because we see Pawtucket as a city that is friendly to artists and open to positive change. We bought a house here in Pleasant View and plan on raising a family in Pawtucket.

We are disheartened at the prospect of losing this important battle and are hoping that you will do the right thing. We plan on voting at every election and this is a very important issue to us.

thank you for your time & see you at the hearing,

Pawtucket RI

so.. Eltron. You've got a bad feeling overall about this?

Edited by bloodyrocker

so.. Eltron. You've got a bad feeling overall about this?

I've got a bad feeling about the eminent domain, but not sure about the overall outcome...there is still some fight left...

from the Pawtucket Foundation email I just got (best info yet, and the National Trust intervention is encouraging):

Temporary Restraining Order

Breaking News December 5, 2006 8 PM This morning the City of Central Falls issued a demolition permit to the train station developers. Significant damage was done to the northwest corner of the building before Pawtucket City Solicitors Margaret Lynch-Gadaleta and Frank Milos, City Zoning Director Ron Travers and Pawtucket Foundation Attorney Mike Horan were able to obtain a temporary restraining order and bring the demolition to a stop.

Judge Fortunato

CVS Media Relations Contacts

The following contacts are intended for media members. Customer-service related e-mails sent to the contacts below may not reach the appropriate party.

Erin Pensa

Public Relations Manager

Phone: 401-770-4786

Fax: 401-762-9227

[email protected]

Mike DeAngelis

Manager, Corporate Communications

Phone: 401-770-2645

[email protected]

Eileen Dunn

VP, Corporate Communications & Community Relations

Phone: 401-770-4561

[email protected]

Carolyn Castel

Director, Corporate Communications

Phone: 401-770-5717

i can't remember: is this building a National Historic Registry building?

It is formally determined eligible for listing on the National Register which does impart the same protections and federal restrictions under the National Historic Preservation Act.

Demolition began again this AM in defiance of the Cease and Desist order and was halted by the Pawtucket Police and city solicitor, however a wall is now structurally unstable and in danger of falling on the tracks below.

My boss has arranged an onsite interview with Channel 12 and is there currently...

Edited by KBagley

Demolition began again this AM in defiance of the Cease and Desist order and was halted by the Pawtucket Police and city solicitor, however a wall is now structurally unstable and in danger of falling on the tracks below.

These people are freaking criminals!

What!? you have to be kidding me!? What kind of wild west crap is this guy pulling?

This pisses me off so much.. I think I'll head over there and throw my body in front of the bulldozer during my lunchbreak.

Edited by bloodyrocker

It is formally determined eligible for listing on the National Register which does impart the same protections and federal restrictions under the National Historic Preservation Act.

My boss has arranged an onsite interview with Channel 12 and is there currently...

i seriously hope who ever ordered the demolition today, along with those who followed the instructions, will be arrested in violation of the restraining order.

I've read about developers who completely ignore the law when they're told not to tear a building down. If the penalties aren't at all severe, (we're talking fines here not time in the slammer) they just consider it part of the cost of doing business. :sick:

this just in from PADs:

The Demolition of the Pawtucket - Central Fall Train Station

continued early this morning prior to the restraining order being

served to the appropriate party. This was delayed due to difficulty

of serving the City of Pawtucket's legal action to a party in the

jurisdiction of Central Falls. At approximately 10 AM, the order was

served and demolition ceased.

The additional demolition this morning focused on the roof and

northern end of the station. It affected the structural stability of

the building, causing concern about the safety of the structure over

the tracks. At last contact on site, it appeared that the City of

Pawtucket was arranging for structural shoring to protect the

remaining structure.

This email also serves as a reminder for all PADS members and

concerned Pawtucket citizens to attend the City Council meeting at

City Hall TONIGHT at 7:00 PM. PADS members will also be meeting at

6:30 in front of City Hall to speak with each other and express views

to the press. Please join these efforts and be heard!

I'm now told the developer is in court trying to get Judge Fortunato's restraining order overturned...

On what grounds? If Pawtucket does not also issue a permit, demolition cannot proceed. Also, how can the developer reasonably ensure the safety of train passengers that are travelling on MBTA and Amtrak trains below?

Edited by JimmyGreaves

On what grounds? If Pawtucket does not also issue a permit, demolition cannot proceed. Also, how can the developer reasonably ensure the safety of train passengers that are travelling on MBTA and Amtrak trains below?

I don't know... I get random info funneled to me via email from various sources... I'm sure there will be more from PADS or Pawtucket Foundation soon as they are in the midst of it....

The key thing right now is to demonstrate support for eminent domain at the City Council meeting tonight and Jen gave some good advice regarding that in an earlier post above...

WHAT A DISGRACE. Talk about the squeaky wheel getting the grease. F*ck*ing ridiculous. And to think I used to live in Central Falls where my wife is from and we often taked about how nice it would be if we could just go down Broad Street and grab the train from there to Boston or Providence on weekends.

There is NO doubt in my mind money changed hands here. There was a payoff somewhere along the line and if the Central Falls City Council and Mayor are what they were like 10 years ago, you can bet your ass on it. No wonder the city is what it is today; a joke.

The train station would not only preserve an important piece of history, but would seriously revitilize an area that desperately needs it.

WHAT A DISGRACE. Talk about the squeaky wheel getting the grease. F*ck*ing ridiculous. And to think I used to live in Central Falls where my wife is from and we often taked about how nice it would be if we could just go down Broad Street and grab the train from there to Boston or Providence on weekends.

There is NO doubt in my mind money changed hands here. There was a payoff somewhere along the line and if the Central Falls City Council and Mayor are what they were like 10 years ago, you can bet your ass on it. No wonder the city is what it is today; a joke.

The train station would not only preserve an important piece of history, but would seriously revitilize an area that desperately needs it.

But the point is, even if CF did approve the permit, the demo is still not legal because Pawtucket would still need to sign off on it. Did the developer assume that CF approval was all he needed to proceed? Pawtucket could still approve eminient domain and Seelbinder's retail plans for this site would fall through. It makes no sense to me what the developer would have to gain by proceeding along the route he's going. Most importantly, I have not heard of any steps being taken to ensure the safety of train passengers that might be impacted (no pun intended and probably too light of a description) by falling debris. I think that is the point that would resonate the most at the Council meeting tonight. If this developer lacks the integrity where his bottom line is more important than people's safety, how can the council in good faith not be in favor of eminent domain?

But the point is, even if CF did approve the permit, the demo is still not legal because Pawtucket would still need to sign off on it. Did the developer assume that CF approval was all he needed to proceed? Pawtucket could still approve eminient domain and Seelbinder's retail plans for this site would fall through. It makes no sense to me what the developer would have to gain by proceeding along the route he's going. Most importantly, I have not heard of any steps being taken to ensure the safety of train passengers that might be impacted (no pun intended and probably too light of a description) by falling debris. I think that is the point that would resonate the most at the Council meeting tonight. If this developer lacks the integrity where his bottom line is more important than people's safety, how can the council in good faith not be in favor of eminent domain?

why would pawtucket have to sign off on it? I mean, they wouldn't be able to demo the rest of the building on the pawtucket side, but they sure could make it unstable which was and is clearly the point! Certainly today's demo was illegal, but i'm not sure yesterday's was...

This is why there should be notice for demo permits.

Maybe eltron can better address this issue. Here's his post yesterday that I reference.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...8301&st=119

hm. i read that to say that "work" cannot begin, but demo certainly can...at least on the CF side. If it was illegal for CF to issue a demo permit and for scumbag developer to start demoing on the CF side, i would think that Judge Fortunato would have done more than just issue an 8 day injunction.

i seriously hope who ever ordered the demolition today, along with those who followed the instructions, will be arrested in violation of the restraining order.

I've read about developers who completely ignore the law when they're told not to tear a building down. If the penalties aren't at all severe, (we're talking fines here not time in the slammer) they just consider it part of the cost of doing business. :sick:

If the penalties on the violation of the zoning issues isn't enough, then someone should be arrested for public endangerment, or wrecklessness, or some such. I hope the wall falls on the tracks, then the feds will be involved.

So his strategy is obviously to get the building to the point where he will be "ordered" to finish the demo for public safety, and then he will pay his fines and be happy.

How could CF allow a demo permit for such a crappy demo job is the real question? They did nothing to try and support the building during demolision. I am with Cotuit and hope that Seelbinder and his developer partners gets the full extent of the law applied against them. I also hope that if the CF people who approved this kind of demo that they be dismissed from their posts for reasons of overwhelming incompetence. Why have a permitting process if stupid crap like this can happen?

Edited by brick