Best SC City To Live In

goodbye

Based on your knowlege and personal experience, where would you live in SC if given the opportunity to choose between the given cities? If you choose "Other," please give the name of the city you would like to live in and why. Please don't  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Based on your knowlege and personal experience, where would you live in SC if given the opportunity to choose between the given cities? If you choose "Other," please give the name of the city you would like to live in and why. Please don't

• Aiken/N. Augusta
    • Anderson
    • Charleston
    • Columbia
    • Florence
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • Rock Hill
    • Spartanburg
    • Other

Gsupstate. If you were a minority then you would understand. But you aren't so you aren't going to change anything. This is how it is. Just plain and simple. It's human nature. I'm not a expert in this matter but their are plenty of studies that you feel comfortable around people more like you. I wouldn't feel a TAD bit comfortable in the middle of Iowa or North Dakota and I'm not racist.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^And now Latinos and Asians are taking over Gwinnett.

Gsupstate, you have to understand that in many ways it's different when a minority says that he wishes to be among more of his/her people. It typically refers to the presence of a stronger subculture which works to positively affirm ethnic/racial identity, the opportunities for advancement on several levels, and overall "vibe." It isn't because they hate or dislike White people. Honestly, I think this is part of the natural evolution that we have to go through as a people until we reach the point of full inclusion on all levels.

In the 2004 Olympics in Athens, the American team got a huge cheer upon entering in the opening ceremonies. No, Europeans weren't happy with America at the time, but the announcer said this: 'Greeks make a huge distinction between American policy and the American people.' We could all use a lesson from the Greeks then.

MLK fought to "end segregation" NOT for "the right of any group to segregate themselves". It's really sad when one race forces division, it's equally as sad when one race chooses division. Until all races can see we are all one in this world and all equal, things will never change for the better.

MLK fought to end legalized segregation because it stripped people of their basic civil rights due to the color of their skin. If people choose to voluntarily create ethnic enclaves (which in no way infringes upon anyone's basic civil rights), upon what basis would someone lead a crusade against that? This is people's free will in play. I would argue that as long as there is discrimination, prejudice, and racism, this will always occur, and unlike you, I don't necessarily see anything wrong with that in and of itself. Part of it is just human nature to primarily surround yourself with people who look like you and that you have certain cultural traits in common with. MLK didn't fight so that I would be forced to live beside a White family; he fought so that I could choose to live beside any family I so desired. De facto segregation is an entirely different matter. Also, I think you aren't considering history and societal factors here and are looking at things through rose-colored glasses, which doesn't reflect reality--hence your frustration.

Eqaulity is equality, minority or majority. I see what you are saying Krazee, BUT, in Columbia a white man would be in the MINORITY, (white 37.4 / black 57.7) and if he said he wanted to move to be "around people like him" like has been stated above, it would classed as a racist comment.

Choosing a city based on race, is pure and simple a racist action. People in this thread above are stating they choose Columbia because it "has black culture", is "more black", etc. That is racist. Both Greenville and Charleston have AME Churchs, natural hair salons and "Why Did I Get Married" played in Greenville.

I would never think to say I want to live around "white culture" and my partner wouldn't say he only wants to live in a Jewish city. I want to be around people of all cultures and backgrounds, it's the way we learn and the way we propel the world forward.

Actually Krazee, per Websters, racism is: "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race" Any single individual can be a racist.....a black can be racist against a Jew, a white man against an Asian, etc, etc. Racism knows no boundaries or colors.

To let the racial make-up of a city sway your opinion is plainly looking at race, and is racist. Is it hate based? Probably not, but it is racist. We need to work on becoming a color blind society.

And as for Greenville.....the city celebrates MLK. It was the county. Much like the oasis of Columbia in Richland, although I don't get it how Columbians accept this flag waving Maurice. He is VERY, VERY offensive to all races white, black, Asian, Latino, Jewish, you name it.

Yeah, perception can be painful.....case in point, the Confederate Flag waving guy at USC on camera on ESPN. He really did some damage for Columbia and SC on national TV.

I understand many points made here. You guys need to understand I was personally offended by a comment that was loaded with racial overtones. Were it reversed, had a white person written the same statement, I'm sure many of you would have been just as offended. Bottom line, it was OFFENSIVE to me.

If races want to segregate, so be it, but you guys need to see what you are really saying and what message is being sent and it's not a positive one. If as some above have said, it's OK to "have preferences" then don't be hypocritical and get upset when those preferences do not include you.

Maybe there will be a day when race isn't a factor, but from looking at your responses, it will not be anytime soon. :(

PS: Waccamatt in the interest of accuracy, "Judaism" is a religion that anyone can convert to, you are correct. However, you missed that "Jews", are considered an "ethno-religious" group and a Jew by birth is descended from Israelites (Children of Israel). Jew and Judaism should not be confused. So no, not a race, but also, not just a religion.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now, I'm biased of course :shades: . If you're going to stay in SC, do Charleston. Ride down Calhoun or Ashley Avenue on a fair weather day and chances are you'll be sold. The landscape-water, and more water-, the awesome weather, the history, and for me, the people make this city. I have lived in NC, FL, and Columbia which were all very nice for different reasons, but nowhere like home. Even people in those areas are fascinated when you say you're from Charleston, which feels pretty good lol. I've met some of the nicest people ever here. To the contrary, I have met some of the most snobbish people, but this is what makes this city great in my opinion. There is just a mix of everything inclusive of people, retail, etc.

In comparison to say Columbia where I attended college or Greenville where I visited numerous times, I must say we are definitely in our own world. From the more laidback, upscale vibe of the city, no other city is touching it here. Also, Charleston is very true to its roots, i.e. Johns Island, James Island parts of West Ashley. Also from the way Charlestonians speak-African Americans and Caucasians- to the things we eat. Red Rice, shrimp -n-grits, they call it Gumbo in NO, we called it Beaufort Stew a long time ago!! The place is just unique. An older professor at Carolina told me, you have South Carolinans, and then there are Charlestonians and his statement is so true. The only way to know and understand this is to live here.

If I had the MONEY - Charleston of course, no doubt in my mind. Otherwise, for those without the finances, you had might as well live in Lexington or Mauldin. I think Columbia provides the best overall livability for all social classes.

But still... I would prefer Charleston.

I do have to agree with gsupstate waccamatt, Judaism is a religion but "Jew" is a race that I personally associate with. I always feel kind of weird when I get thrown in with the "american white" crowd; my response to that is usually don't associate me with them (especially when they screw up). But, I also have absolutely no problem with people separating themselves based on race (I mean look at all of the northeast cities, New York, Philly, Boston, even rustbelt cities like Pittsburgh are separated, but only because the people themselves do it and it is perfectly ok with me)

But on topic, Charleston is nice, but for some reason it has just always left a bad impression on me. Then theres Greenville. I grew up there and wouldn't return if everything was paid for me. Nothing against the city or the people from there, but its just not for me. Finally, we have Columbia. I absolutely love this place and the only thing that I don't like and have had to learn to live with are the republicans the rest of the state puts in office here :P

And he was a Clemson fan, I saw him too. If you check the video (its been a long time since I saw it, so I may be wrong) I think you can see the top of an orange paw.

Archived