Best SC City To Live In

goodbye

Based on your knowlege and personal experience, where would you live in SC if given the opportunity to choose between the given cities? If you choose "Other," please give the name of the city you would like to live in and why. Please don't  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Based on your knowlege and personal experience, where would you live in SC if given the opportunity to choose between the given cities? If you choose "Other," please give the name of the city you would like to live in and why. Please don't

• Aiken/N. Augusta
    • Anderson
    • Charleston
    • Columbia
    • Florence
    • Greenville
    • Myrtle Beach
    • Rock Hill
    • Spartanburg
    • Other

Columbia is half black. Being a African-American I understand where he is coming from. You want to be around people that are like you and it just doesn't feel that way in Greenville. Of course it has a significant black population but it isn't the same as in Cola. I mean the Columbia Metro is like what, in the top #10 in the nation for attracting African Americans.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have to agree with that statement as well. In Columbia I don't stick out like a sore thumb when walking the street downtown. There is a very large prominent african/black american population in the midlands largely related to SC State, Benedict, Allen, USC, etc.. When I was in Greenville I felt like a freak or something. I've explained this too one of my buddies who lives in Greenville now after living in Columbia for a few years, he stated its something that he has never paid attention to or thought about (he's white by the way). As far as a metro area with a good deal of successful middle to high income, educated, and ambitious african americans Columbia is the only SC city I would consider calling home. For middle class Af. Am. it would be similar living in places like Atl, DC, Clt, RDU, VA Beach, or Philly which quite a few northern Af. Am. have noticed and that is why so many are moving to Columbia, as my family did from New Jersey.

Columbia is half black. Being a African-American I understand where he is coming from. You want to be around people that are like you and it just doesn't feel that way in Greenville. Of course it has a significant black population but it isn't the same as in Cola. I mean the Columbia Metro is like what, in the top #10 in the nation for attracting African Americans.

Well, when you're in the minority, it's a bit different. I don't want to live anywhere where I can't find a natural hair salon (I'm growing locks), catch the newest Tyler Perry play, find an AME or COGIC church (predominantly Black Christian denominations), or anything like that. That doesn't mean I have to move to a place with as high a Black population as Detroit, but at the same time I'm not moving to Billings, Montana either. In other words, I'm not opposed to diversity but I don't want to live in a place where I am the diversity.

gsu, I think you are taking it out of context. Again it's not just people on the forum who are choosing to live in Columbia, but several Af. Am. around the nation who are choosing to live/ or move to Columbia, or Atlanta, or Charlotte, etc... Race "racism" really doesn't have anything to do with it. At least from my standpoint. To me what color your are means absolutely nothing I stick by the old cliche "its what's on the inside that counts", but in the same token there is an african american sub-culture in the US. Growing up african american in the SE or anywhere in the US is a little bit different than say growing up asian american, mexican american, or euro american for that matter. It's difficult to explain I guess if you have never experienced it. People are choosing to move to these areas becasue of there diversity (black, white, green, purple, whatever) not just because there are "black" people there, and tolerance as opposed to say more rural areas of the country where african americans have traditionally not been accepted so well.

Eqaulity is equality, minority or majority. I see what you are saying Krazee, BUT, in Columbia a white man would be in the MINORITY, (white 37.4 / black 57.7) and if he said he wanted to move to be "around people like him" like has been stated above, it would classed as a racist comment.

Choosing a city based on race, is pure and simple a racist action. People in this thread above are stating they choose Columbia because it "has black culture", is "more black", etc. That is racist. Both Greenville and Charleston have AME Churchs, natural hair salons and "Why Did I Get Married" played in Greenville.

I would never think to say I want to live around "white culture" and my partner wouldn't say he only wants to live in a Jewish city. I want to be around people of all cultures and backgrounds, it's the way we learn and the way we propel the world forward.

I think you're reading more into what has been stated. I mentioned diversity in my initial post which means a good mixture of all of American cultures. I grew up the Pee Dee and have traveled around the world (via the Air Force) before moving to Atlanta.

I just found Cola to have a better mix than G'ville and more of a big city feel. It would be foolish for me to have a slant against whites because blacks are a very small minority on the whole relative to the entire US. I'm in a quandary as to why you've termed my statement racist.

I remember my family moving to a white part of town in little Lake City (in the late sixties) and having a cross burned in our yard. It is very comforting for me to have a population that has a good mix of races. I've seen that there are good blacks, whites, reds and browns all over this world.

However, my ultimate point is that I have simply never thought of liking a certain city or moving to a certain city because of race. Race has never been a factor to me. I do find it very shocking that people can like or dislike a city based on it's racial make-up. That, by nature of the words and their meanings is racist. I look at a cities retail, housing, arts, schools, geography when determining if I like a city, not race.

MLK was the county's issue. You can't pin those however many's people actions on all the citizens. That's over 400,000 people and you can't tell me they all supported that decision to not add the holiday. Because there's one right here who is being misrepresented. It's like saying that Maurice's BBQ represents all citizens in Columbia. Maurice and his loyal customers automatically make Columbia a racist place. But we all know it's not true. Dumb decisions are made. It's life. It can't be fixed and it can't be dwelled on, otherwise we never move on. And that's what ends up holding everyone back

But it's the perception, which is everything. Sure it was the county's decision, but the city is within the county and they share the same name, so of course people are going to associate one with the other. The actions of our president don't exactly reflect positively on America, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, one is interchangeable with the other. Furthermore, government officials are elected by the people, so at least in some way, they speak for the people. This is not true for a privately-owned restaurant that chooses to display a Confederate flag, and most people do know the difference.

Actually Krazee, per Websters, racism is: "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race" Any single individual can be a racist.....a black can be racist against a Jew, a white man against an Asian, etc, etc. Racism knows no boundaries or colors.

To let the racial make-up of a city sway your opinion is plainly looking at race, and is racist. Is it hate based? Probably not, but it is racist. We need to work on becoming a color blind society.

And as for Greenville.....the city celebrates MLK. It was the county. Much like the oasis of Columbia in Richland, although I don't get it how Columbians accept this flag waving Maurice. He is VERY, VERY offensive to all races white, black, Asian, Latino, Jewish, you name it.

But it's the perception, which is everything. Sure it was the county's decision, but the city is within the county and they share the same name, so of course people are going to associate one with the other. The actions of our president don't exactly reflect positively on America, but as far as the rest of the world is concerned, one is interchangeable with the other. Furthermore, government officials are elected by the people, so at least in some way, they speak for the people. This is not true for a privately-owned restaurant that chooses to display a Confederate flag, and most people do know the difference.

Actually Krazee, per Websters, racism is: "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race" Any single individual can be a racist.....a black can be racist against a Jew, a white man against an Asian, etc, etc. Racism knows no boundaries or colors.

Well, there are those who would disagree with that definition, or at the least say that it is incomplete, including myself. But anyway...

To let the racial make-up of a city sway your opinion is plainly looking at race, and is racist. Is it hate based? Probably not, but it is racist. We need to work on becoming a color blind society.

Well, according to the definition you posted, my examples don't count as racism. There is NOTHING about a person's desire to move to Atlanta, a city rich in Black history and culture, that would lend itself to believing that "race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race." The fact that Atlanta has become a primary magnet for Blacks is a response to the true racism that was visibly and overtly manifested in years past, which still have present and continuing effects. Atlanta was a city that embraced Blacks and essentially said that race was NOT a primary, or biological, determinant of human capability. It essentially said that Whites were not inherently superior simply because they were White and demonstrated that. Of course the city wasn't without its faults, but it was a hell of a lot progressive than your typical Southern city back in the day. Your definition has nothing to do with preferences, as mine are, but are more along the lines of philosophy and ideology. In short, it doesn't cut it.

We can want the ideal of "color-blindness" all we want (as we should all want to), but here and now, it doesn't work like that. I know this isn't PC, but the truth is that there isn't anything wrong with having a preference based on race. Does the fact that I would prefer to marry a Black woman rather than an Asian woman mean I'm a racist? Is the fact that I prefer a Black barber over a White one racist? Again, I'm talking about preferences, not absolutes.

And as for Greenville.....the city celebrates MLK. It was the county. Much like the oasis of Columbia in Richland, although I don't get it how Columbians accept this flag waving Maurice. He is VERY, VERY offensive to all races white, black, Asian, Latino, Jewish, you name it.

How do you know Columbians accept Maurice? Upon what do you base that statement? Furthermore, the most prominent Maurice's restaurant that I'm aware of isn't even in Columbia city limits; it's in Cayce in Lexington County.

Yeah, perception can be painful.....case in point, the Confederate Flag waving guy at USC on camera on ESPN. He really did some damage for Columbia and SC on national TV.

Sadly, this is true. Our state legislature (or rather, a certain legislator) does an even worse job by letting it fly in such a prominent position on the Statehouse grounds, but this is another topic.

In the 2004 Olympics in Athens, the American team got a huge cheer upon entering in the opening ceremonies. No, Europeans weren't happy with America at the time, but the announcer said this: 'Greeks make a huge distinction between American policy and the American people.' We could all use a lesson from the Greeks then.

We can want the ideal of "color-blindness" all we want (as we should all want to), but here and now, it doesn't work like that. I know this isn't PC, but the truth is that there isn't anything wrong with having a preference based on race. Does the fact that I would prefer to marry a Black woman rather than an Asian woman mean I'm a racist? Is the fact that I prefer a Black barber over a White one racist? Again, I'm talking about preferences, not absolutes.

You're reaching for straws here. The U.S. population is overwhelmingly white, so you could go to almost any place and find a white majority. I live in Dekalb County, GA which is a majority black county in GA. This fact played a major role in my decision to move here. There aren't many majority black counties in the whole country, so for you to make an abstract comparison relative to black and white is not being fair in this discussion.

Come on man, don't be a contrarian in this discussion, come clean.

It's not. Thus I wonder how he would feel about what happened in your county a few years ago. Is that an example of equality, even on a symbolic level? And is it any wonder that this taints the view of some Blacks towards your county? The point is, there are places where some people feel more comfortable and where some feel less comfortable, and this may be based, in whole or in part, on race. And I think that's what it ultimately boils down to. For me (and this probably goes for sonofaque as well, but he is more than capable of speaking for himself), I have to take more than race into account when it comes the place I call home, but it is a factor. I guess it's no wonder I'm drawn to DC--an immensely urban city, very diverse, extremely cultured, and the metro area is home to the most affluent majority-Black county in the nation (Prince Georges County, MD).

Preaching to the choir man. I in no way agree with what the county I live in did. I'm sure some Columbians do not agree with Maurice or the flag on the statehouse grounds. Again, I've gone off on a tangent, but I was simply shocked and offended to see someone say they want to be with their like people. Can't we learn from past mistakes??? Can't we learn from 60's "white flight"?

^And now Latinos and Asians are taking over Gwinnett.

Gsupstate, you have to understand that in many ways it's different when a minority says that he wishes to be among more of his/her people. It typically refers to the presence of a stronger subculture which works to positively affirm ethnic/racial identity, the opportunities for advancement on several levels, and overall "vibe." It isn't because they hate or dislike White people. Honestly, I think this is part of the natural evolution that we have to go through as a people until we reach the point of full inclusion on all levels.

Archived