Bridges at Mint Hill

DigitalSky

• 4 months later...

This is good news, but I'm more concerned about the fact that Lawyers Road and NC-51 both only have two lanes. I could see this becoming a bottleneck once the mall opens. It should also create more development in the area, which might also create more congestion. Not to mention this stretch of I-485 will probably be the last section to get widen to a six/eight lane highway. I just hope the area's ready for this, or at the very least, spearhead the state and city to improve the roads in that area.

Also, I wonder what tenants will occupy the three anchor stores. I doubt JC Pennys will go, since they'll be at Windsor Square. I'm assuming Belk and Dillards will be there, re-establishing their former niches from Eastland Mall. Hopefully a major bookstore like Barnes and Noble will occupy the last, or another non-clothes store.

I do wonder if this will be anywhere near the scale originally determined. With JCPenney building at Windsor Square, as I perviously said, looks like only Belk and Dillard's will be part of this project. Wonder if a newcomer sporting goods store like Dunham's or Academy would consider opening here?

• 10 months later...

Looks like construction on Lawyers road for Bridges at Mint Hill might be happening soon:

Mint Hill commissioners recently passed a resolution requesting the North Carolina General Assembly earmark $1.5 million for road improvements on the portion of Lawyers Road that would run along one side of the mall site.

“This is part of the $6 million approved by the state several years ago for the Bridges project,” said Mint Hill Town Manager Brian Welch. “Now that the project is close, it’s time for the money to be disbursed.”

Ritchie Hearne, project manager with N.C. DOT, said last week that the road plans call for that section of Lawyers Road to be widened to a divided four-lane road between I-485 and Bain School Road, and for a roundabout to be built at the intersection of Lawyers and Bain School roads.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/08/3841791/saga-of-mint-hill-shopping-complex.html

Also, we should get a timeline on the project in a couple of months. Sounds great for this side of town. With the outlet mall proposal dead, this mall could fill out its own niche by being the go-to mall in this area. I think it also helps it will be the first fully outdoor mall in North Carolina.

Yeah, looks like you're right. Apparently there are at least two built in the state that are completely outdoor. I think it was going to be, until the project got delayed to oblivion.

Yeah, looks like you're right. Apparently there are at least two built in the state that are completely outdoor. I think it was going to be, until the project got delayed to oblivion.

I don't know which two you are referring to, but I can think of two myself. One is in Burlington along I-40/85. I think it's called Alamance Crossing or something close. It at least fits my definition of a mall (department stores and smaller shops). Also, the Friendly Center in Greensboro. The one in Burlington is relatively new (and maybe was developed after the initial timeline for Bridges), however Friendly Center has been there my whole life and it also has department stores and smaller shops along with restaurants. Not sure of others in the state.

I don't know which two you are referring to, but I can think of two myself. One is in Burlington along I-40/85. I think it's called Alamance Crossing or something close. It at least fits my definition of a mall (department stores and smaller shops). Also, the Friendly Center in Greensboro. The one in Burlington is relatively new (and maybe was developed after the initial timeline for Bridges), however Friendly Center has been there my whole life and it also has department stores and smaller shops along with restaurants. Not sure of others in the state.

Would Birkdale Village not be considered one?

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure if this amounts to anything, but the developers of the proposed mall are requesting a contract from the city for utility work for the next five years. They would be reimbursed by the city via the Utility Investment Plan. Could be signs that work may finally begin on this mall, since they're moving ahead with utility work.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CityClerk/Documents/Agenda/2014/05.12.14.pdf

• 4 years later...

^^^I think Amazon and the retail apocalypse killed it.  Malls in general don't look like the best investment these days.  

I am glad to see this one go.  The last thing this area needs is another large retail outpost in the burbs.  Downtown Mint Hill is coming into its own right now and I think Bridges would kill that momentum.  Plus having another mall would probably also hurt downtown Charlotte's chances of having streetfront retail in the future.

• Like 2

I don't think it is completely dead Howard Hughes Corp. still lists it on their website albeit with no many details.  Supposed to be an outdoor type mall but will probably end up as a mixed used town center type concept.  Would not affect anything in uptown Charlotte and probably not much in downtown Mint Hill.  That area keeps growing out there and their trade area keeps growing in population and income.  

https://www.howardhughes.com/properties/the-bridges-at-mint-hill

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I don't think it is completely dead Howard Hughes Corp. still lists it on their website albeit with no many details.  Supposed to be an outdoor type mall but will probably end up as a mixed used town center type concept.  Would not affect anything in uptown Charlotte and probably not much in downtown Mint Hill.  That area keeps growing out there and their trade area keeps growing in population and income.  

https://www.howardhughes.com/properties/the-bridges-at-mint-hill

I get the feeling that they want to sell that land to somebody else. If GGP still had this plot they probably would have done something by now. A Waverly type development might work a lot better than a mall, but I have no idea if the demographics would support it. 

I actually think Charlotte is lacking in actual mall type developments. The only “healthy” malls in Charlotte excluding outlets are SouthPark and Northlake. Waverly has zero traditional mall type tenants and there is virtually no mall type retail in or around Mint Hill to this day, so the/a mall could still work. 

5 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I actually think Charlotte is lacking in actual mall type developments. The only “healthy” malls in Charlotte excluding outlets are SouthPark and Northlake. Waverly has zero traditional mall type tenants and there is virtually no mall type retail in or around Mint Hill to this day, so the/a mall could still work. 

You are forgetting Charlotte premium outlets and Concord Mills.  Quite frankly we don’t need anymore malls. Let people drive to the city to shop. If they will drove there for a panthers game and pay $20 parking and $100 a ticket then they can come uptown for shopping also!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Temeteron said:

You are forgetting Charlotte premium outlets and Concord Mills.  Quite frankly we don’t need anymore malls. Let people drive to the city to shop. If they will drove there for a panthers game and pay $20 parking and $100 a ticket then they can come uptown for shopping also!

“Excluding the outlets”.

There is no shopping in Uptown so I’m not sure where you’re referring to. 

23 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Carolina Place is pretty healthy too. It is a middle class rather than upscale / luxury mall, and Sears is a risk as an anchor, but it is about 95% occupied.

The closed Macy's is being replaced by Dick's bring the anchor stores to Belk, JCPenny, Sears, Dillards, Dave and Busters, Barnes and Noble, REI, and Dicks.

I think the entire first level has two open spots and the second level has 3.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3