Bridges at Mint Hill

DigitalSky

Has any type of construction started yet? Everything I read about this new mall keeps mentioning a Spring 2007 opening, including the Belk press release. I read somewhere that it's possible the mall might begin construction around the end of the year (about now), but like most people, I haven't heard anything. If they want to open on time, I'm assuming constructon should start sometime soon, possible early next year?

It is an open air mall, so since the buildings are seperate, maybe it will open in phases/it might be faster to build?

• 1 month later...

I pass by the location for this new development once or twice a week and I see nothing going on as of yet. There is still a house being lived in with cows grazing the field so it seems as though things aren't being done in a quick manner.

Yeah I've got no idea what's going on if they're still negotiating with the state or whatever about the road. It'll be interesting if Stallings ends up with the mall.

Are they trying to get Lawyer's Road expanded? It is hard to believe that a thoroughfare that runs parallel to Independence hasn't been widened from a 2 lane country road after all this time.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing how development and politicans mix -- Roads get funded that are not on the TIP. Looks like Lawyers Rd widening got a boost from House Speaker Black. Also, note, the developer is finding a majority portion of the road improvement. Its prime North Carlona politics at work when developers, politicians and influential business people can still move projects forward.

Lawyers road Widening Gets Push

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad we're getting some corruption in our favor :). Too bad this is yet another example of wider roads and transportation around 485, yeet a tiny road under capacity closer to the city. Lawyers in a tiny two lane road for its whole distance beginning near the Harris/Albemarle intersection.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Some new information about the Stallings / Mint Hill Mall debacle, about Union County getting leagal advice for it and the Union Bypass.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14271047.htm

MONROE - Union County officials are seeking legal advice for dealing with what some Union County commissioners are calling unfair treatment by federal agencies.

Commissioner Hughie Sexton said Monday that Union County has to continually comply with environmental standards that Mecklenburg projects appear to bypass.

He talked specifically about the Monroe Bypass, held up for years because it could affect the habitat of the endangered Carolina heelsplitter mussel, and a mall project in Mint Hill that is competing with a proposed mall in Stallings.

Christie Putnam, Union County's interim public works director, told the commissionersthe Mint Hill mall project had recently received a permit from the Army Corps of Engineers that said the mall would not impact the heelsplitter.

She also said that U.S. Fish and Wildlife did not agree with that assessment, was not consulted for the permit and had sent a letter to the corps of engineers.

Stallings' proposed mall, which is not as close to potential heelsplitter habitat as the Mint Hill site, already has its environmental permits.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did a drive-by of the future mall site. Looks like a potential home run, right near Independence Boulevard, I-485 and Hwy. 51, with some nice subdivisions nearby. Plus:

1. The immediate area doesn't seem like a major retail destination yet, so people who live north and south of the mall are probably used to driving to Concord Mills and Carolina Place. If they don't change their shopping habits, I assume GGP has done enough diligence to ensure that there will be enough growth in the mall's immediate area to support it.

2. I assume that people who shop at Eastland do so (x) because of the urban-type stores there and thus won't want to go to a middle-America mall to shop at places like the Gap and Abercrombie & Fitch and (y) often because they can walk or take the bus to Eastland, so they have minimal interest in driving out to Bridges at Mint Hill.

3. I assume that the Monroe Mall will continue to exist as a neighborhood-type center and won't be sent to mall heaven by Bridges at Mint Hill. Perhaps the Monroe Mall will evolve more towards being a local mall with mom-and-pop type stores in it.

Does anyone disagree with me? For example, are there any thoughts that this mall could get stuck between Concord Mills and Carolina Place, with not enough new development at Lawyers Road & I-485 to support the mall, plus with Eastland's demographics attracted to the mall in lieu of the mall's intended customer base?

Edited by mallguy