Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShowMeKC

Kansas City Loft Photos

12 posts in this topic

I was gonna put these on the end of my other thread but didn't have room, some photos of lofts going in downtown.

financebuildinglofts.sized.jpg

downtownboardoftradelofts.jpg

10thstreetlibrarylofts.jpg

conover_const.jpgrepublicpaperlofts.jpg

downtown_condoFIX120304_gc.jpg

1819condos.sized.jpg

21w10thlofts_001.jpg5delaware_050304.sized.jpg

building_FidelityBankBuilding.jpgfirestone.sized.jpg

bakerapartments.jpgbridgeworks2.jpg

chambersbuilding.jpgkcclub.jpg

foundersunionhill1.jpggillhamrow_triangle.jpg

hanoverbuilding.jpg

river_market_condo.sized.jpg

metropolitanrendering.jpgbma.jpg

professionalbuilding.jpg

stuarthall.sized.jpgtheliberty.jpg

theview.sized.jpg

vinelofts.jpg

mercantile.jpgwaltowers.jpg

100_0038.JPG

Jeez, lots of stuff going on in KCMO! Thanks for posting these. I knew there was stuff going on, but I had no idea it was this much!

While it's great KC is converting these buildings, many of the pix are of buildings that are technically not lofts--they are office buildings, walk ups, modernist or just plain condo or apartment 'buildings.' True loft buildings were built with heavy timber or concrete floor systems that could support light undustry. They have always been called lofts, even in the nineteenth century. Sorry, just my pet peeve calling a non-loft building a loft, especially when I see those slick ads for condos.

Again it's great to see they are converting buildings and bulding new ones, but what irks and saddens me is that as always in KC, they end up as islands with the requisite sea of parking surrounding them. Rarely do developers incorporate retail into the ground level floors or bring the lot line to the sidewalk, leaving the neighborhoods they are in devoid of pedestrians and energy. You must rely on a car for everything in pretty much all of the City. The Plaza used to have grocery stores, drugs stores, dry cleaners, etc...they are all gone.

While it's great KC is converting these buildings, many of the pix are of buildings that are technically not lofts--they are office buildings, walk ups, modernist or just plain condo or apartment 'buildings.' True loft buildings were built with heavy timber or concrete floor systems that could support light undustry. They have always been called lofts, even in the nineteenth century. Sorry, just my pet peeve calling a non-loft building a loft, especially when I see those slick ads for condos.

Again it's great to see they are converting buildings and bulding new ones, but what irks and saddens me is that as always in KC, they end up as islands with the requisite sea of parking surrounding them. Rarely do developers incorporate retail into the ground level floors or bring the lot line to the sidewalk, leaving the neighborhoods they are in devoid of pedestrians and energy. You must rely on a car for everything in pretty much all of the City. The Plaza used to have grocery stores, drugs stores, dry cleaners, etc...they are all gone.

Isn't Kansas City one of the biggest cities areawise in the US or at least continental US?

Isn't Kansas City one of the biggest cities areawise in the US or at least continental US?

One of the biggest in terms of geographical area, but not the absolute biggest. I think that dubious honor is bestowed upon Anchorage.

The urban core of KCMO has bled population for decades, but the city at the same time went on an annexation orgy, so the more suburban areas annexed have kept KCMO's total population relatively constant. But of course, population density has plummeted.

Anyway, didn't mean to steer this topic off course. Was was some nice pics and some interesting buildings. Glad their preserving many of the older ones and not just tearing them down.

I really like those building with the weird angles and stepbacks, I wish they could build some in my city.