Why Does Major League Baseball Snub the SE?

urban designer

Urban Designer,

Don't be confused with what I'm trying to say in regards to Charlotte supporting a ML baseball team. I believe that it may happen in the future, but there is a very slim chance of the city landing a team soon due to reasons that Donaltopablo and myself have mentioned. It would be great to see baseball in the area. Hell, I would love to be in the stands watching it (anything is better than watching baseball in the Metrodump).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really read the entire thread, but there are 3 MLB teams in the Southeast (Atlanta, Tampa Bay, Florida) and 6 in the South (first three +Baltimore, Texas, and Houston). The MLB doesn't need anymore teams, there's probably too many now. I don't now for sure, but do the Carolinas really want a MLB team? I don't remember them competing for an expansion team when Miami, Orlando, and Tampa were during the 1990's.

I don't think it will happen simply because there really isn't that much interest in MLB.

By whose measure?

In the 1990's there was no realistic chance for the Carolinas to land an expansion team. That reality is changing very rapidly as population projections continue to show 25 - 35% growth rates in RDU and CLT and 15% for the state of NC overall.

As far as the definition of "Southeast" is concerned, demographers, historians, and economists would beg to differ with the assertation that Florida ~ south of Orlando at least ~ is part of the "Southeast"; the same is true for Baltimore which is clearly a part of the great "Northeast" megaopolis (aka "Bos-Was"). So, we're back to one team for this huge piece of real estate.

I wouldn't expect MLB to expand into the "Mid-Atlantic Southeast" anytime soon. Presently, there really isn't a need to place one there and if there was, Washington or Norfolk, would probably be the lead canidates. The MLB needs to fix its current problems before they talk about expanding again and watering down the talent base.

Archived