Condos on Westin parking deck

Guest donaltopablo

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've ever seen this particular rendering, where the building only takes up half the width of the Westin...

Yeah, the old rendering I saw with this was a longer and shorter office tower than the one pictured in this rendering. Maybe it is a new one! I like this taller and skinnier design better, even though it is practically the same as the old one.

Yeah, the old rendering I saw with this was a longer and shorter office tower than the one pictured in this rendering. Maybe it is a new one! I like this taller and skinnier design better, even though it is practically the same as the old one.

Anything built there would be fantastic -- I really love the view of the Westin so adding to it, drawing the skyline a bit more South is always good to me. Maybe they are holding out with luxury condos, if that is the final decision, to see how everyone else fares, how competing properties do in the market. I can't imagine, if they are watching, that 210 sales wouldn't make some people get old files back out to review.

It could also be possible that Portman is waiting to see if there is demand to add additional rooms and banquet space. When the convention center adds the new ballroom in the NASCAR HOF, wouldnt it be a good investment for Portman to build an additional tower maybe with condos included like the Twelve project?

If Portman does expand and build a second structure as a hotel and/or condo building, then I'd expect it to look nothing like that fat cube. It's fine for office, but I can't imagine having that many internal (aka - no window) rooms. That's a large floorplate with a lot of internal space for such a use.

If Portman does expand and build a second structure as a hotel and/or condo building, then I'd expect it to look nothing like that fat cube. It's fine for office, but I can't imagine having that many internal (aka - no window) rooms. That's a large floorplate with a lot of internal space for such a use.

Well, they could keep the overall cube shape with a courtyard in the center to avoid that issue.

• 4 months later...

It also seemed to fall off so fast. Then it was all the buzz for condos, and then that fall off fast, too. It will be very interesting if they just go and build it now. They have the foundation, and a very good location so close to the convention center and the Wachovia campus.

• 2 months later...
Yeah I don't think that spot has a snowball's chance in hell at ever being a condo tower.

It will eventually be built as an office tower, but it's just a matter of finding a large enough tenant. It is very attractive space with below aveage rents for Class A uptown space and a parking ration of 2.5-3 spaces per 1,000 sq. ft. which is far superior to most any other tower downtown. I think if they would build it on spec they could easily lease it, but as has been stated many times, lenders don't loan money for spec office in Charlotte.

I wonder if it will be condos or offices Frankly, I hope it is offices, but I'll be content with either.

I've never loved the design of this add on building. If it turns out to be condos, it would probably not look as plain, although it could still look ordinary.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived