Top Underrated Cities

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh and urban addict, they are two different cities. KCMO is not related to KCK. They just basically are cities that share the same name and border each other.

KCMO was founded in about 1850. KCK was founded well after that. And the state of Kansas was named after the Town of Kansas was incorporated (Town of Kansas = Kansas City, MO)

Oh and UA, you just gave me a good idea for a new thread :) Thank you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is very interesting. I didn't know KCMO came first. Excellent Trivia. I enjoyed the pics of KCK too. I didn't know it had a downtown at all.

I wouldn't really compare KCK to St Paul though. St Paul seems to be much more independant, so to say, than KCK.

not here, here there is a big division down on the state line. Whenever KCMO gets something new, the KS side wants the same thing...

We get our downtown arena approved, suddenly KS cities want an arena to "compete" with the new arena.

The idea of a Downtown Stadium is brought up for the Royals... KS cities suddenly want the Chiefs.

They can't get it through their heads that Downtown is the heart of the city and metro. That suburbs aren't meant to compete or try to equal the inner city. They just care about themselves and their own city.

The metro is very different on the two borders... Missouri side you have mostly trees and hills, some plains, and lakes. Kansas side you have lots of plains, some hills, a few lakes.

Missouri side is mostly urban with a larger population density

Kansas side is mostly rural with some urban areas like KCK. It has more sprawl than the MO side.

Now can we please get back on topic? :)

BTW, as I said before, I think California's San Diego is the city with the largest population that is underrated. I liked the city when I went there; it has it's own special feel like SF and NYC. The sunsets are beautiful and Tijuana, easily one of the most visited city in Mexico, is not far down the coast from SD.

I don't understand this splitting hairs about KC MO and KS.  It's the same metro.

City populations are all but meaningless, it's the metro that is a "city"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spoken from an Atlantan, that would make sense. :rofl:

I'm not interested in debating KCMO vs KCK, they aren't the same city, but they are the same metro and intertwined as they are across the river from one another. Enough said.

I SAY CLEVELAND! :)

I think that my point is significant though. Outsiders don't distinguish between Minneapolis and St Paul, Kansas City MO or KS, Dallas and Ft Worth... (and technically there is distance between the last 2). Areas are too complicated to speak in pure city terms, unless of course you speaking of a city's infrastructure etc.

BTW, as I said before, I think California's San Diego is the city with the largest population that is underrated. I liked the city when I went there; it has it's own special feel like SF and NYC. The sunsets are beautiful and Tijuana, easily one of the most visited city in Mexico, is not far down the coast from SD.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in agreement about San Diego. It's a beautiful city with tons to do. It is very pedestrian friendly, IMO, and has a lively downtown. Not to mention the weather. But you never hear about it... All you hear about are San Fran and LA. I'd choose San Diego over both of them in a heartbeat.

I would say that Detroit is very underrated. The city's downtown is very safe, very vibrant (some areas), and there are more restaurants opening up and a lot of activity (foot traffic) in the area. Developers are turning a lot of the historic buildings and warehouses into lofts, condominiums, apartments, and hotel rooms. The ongoing, never-ending battle between the city and the suburbs (mainly the ones in Oakland County) is making it especially difficult for the city to move full-speed ahead. Detroit's crime problems are mostly in the neighborhoods although the city has some very safe, stable, and vibrant neighborhoods that are virtually crime-free. Even though the public school system is continuously suffering from declining enrollment, there are still very strong schools academically.

I feel that Detroit should be cut some slack. After all, no other major city saw the same level of disinvestment, segregation, and ongoing city-suburban fued that Detroit has witnessed.

Detroit is a great city in more ways than one!!!

• 2 months later...

I'd have to say Charlotte, some people don't realize how great it is.

Jacksonville and Memphis ae pretty noce too, but they need some work on construction, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd agree some southern cities like Birmingham, Memphis are very underrated. I wish I knew more about Jacksonville; but it seems nice.

I'm in agreement about San Diego.  It's a beautiful city with tons to do.  It is very pedestrian friendly, IMO, and has a lively downtown.  Not to mention the weather.  But you never hear about it... All you hear about are San Fran and LA.  I'd choose San Diego over both of them in a heartbeat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

San Diego IS a great city but I wouldn't say it's pedestrian-friendly except in the downtown area and a few neighborhoods like Hillcrest or parts of La Jolla. Outside of downtown, it's typical California suburban developments that are built for cars. In fact, several areas of town are separated by canyons that make it difficult to get from one area of town to another by bike or on foot.

Unfortunately, I think San Diego is on its way to being ruined by sprawl like LA and Orange Counties. The western part of the city--what most tourists visit--is still nice but the valley areas to the east are another story.

Archived