Top Underrated Cities

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oy vey... the way this thread is going, pretty soon Chicago and New York people will be complaining they don't get enough recognition. Large populations aren't a prerequisite to greatness, though. Metro Vegas has fewer than 2 million people but is one of the most recognizable and visited cities in the US. Orlando is well known. Miami (the city itself has fewer residents than Virginia Beach) is reknowned. I really don't like these types of threads because the criteria are sooo vague. I've probably posted stuff up here before, but I'll do it again.

Top Underrated skylines (in the USA):

+Pittsburgh +Tampa-St. Petersburg +Richmond

Top Underrated cities (for their population):

+Jacksonville +Dallas-Fort Worth +Detroit +Pheonix (crap skyline)

Top Underrated smaller cities (population):

+Raleigh-Durham +Tidewater Metro +Mobile, AL

These are just my opinions ya'll... so don't flip about it. :silly:

The way I know this city is underrated is that I'll bet few people would guess that this particular city is the one I'm describing below.

This city is alive with activity, lots of downtown shopping, a warehouse area thats now a cool entertainment district, a great stock of beautiful historic buildings contrasting with shiny new ones and a very pleasing skyline overall (better in person than the pics).

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

One of the most underrated large cities HAS to be

Pittsburgh

The way I know this city is underrated is that I'll bet few people would guess that this particular city is the one I'm describing below. 

This city is alive with activity, lots of downtown shopping, a warehouse area thats now a cool entertainment district, a great stock of beautiful historic buildings contrasting with shiny new ones and a very pleasing skyline overall (better in person than the pics).

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

One of the most underrated large cities HAS to be

Pittsburgh

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I put Pittsburgh in my list but I was thinking Baltimore lol :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I find it hilarious that you even think that the 11 million people that make up pretty much all of North Carolina and the northern portion of South Carolina are somehow interconnected economically.  That's like saying all of Florida is one giant metro.  Or Detroit to Pittsburgh is one giant Metro.  Or Milwaukee to Grand Rapids is one giant metro.  Or Seattle to Portland, or San Francisco to San Diego.  and so on and so on.

Just because there are a lot of cities that are within several hours of Charlotte doesn't mean they have anything to do with Charlotte.  And Rand-McNally is just one source.  I think I'd put more faith in the BEA and the Census Bureau.

Now, I'm not saying that Charlotte isn't a great little city, and yes, it has done a lot of great things for a city its size, but no, Charlotte is not a "city" of 11 million people, and no it's not the 5th most important city in the nation.  Charlotte is just a medium-small city surrounded by a bunch of other medium-small cities that is doing a damn-good job of projecting itself out to the world.

It's always great to dream big, but remember to stay tethered to the ground.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Charlotte is a fast growing city but the defensive attitudes of some make it seem like just another Atlanta wannabe.

Archived