Number of HQ's new to DT

UptownJ

I read this morning that Nashville, TN brought 6 new HQ's to its DT & surrounding area.... which made me think... how many did we get?

Recruiting new companies to DT and helping HQ's move and build here needs to be one of the cities largest focus. It benefits us both on a economic level and urban level, which are 2 area's we need to focus on if we are ever going to be seen as a true international power house city.

Does anyone know the city of charlotte's plan to bring in some new HQ's dt?

Any rumors of companies looking to come here?

If we can't continue to bring business' into the area, esp dt, we are going to bust for sure.

The City must work together with our surrounding counties to bring big business here, we're the number 2 banking city in the US, why the hell can't we be the number one city for growth and more inportantly relocation growth for company and families. We need to step it up!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nashville is on the verge of a humongous boom I think, while our growth might slowly be starting to slow down over time. Charlotte is not doing enough to bring new HQ into the city. Businesses like Citicorp and such are actually living the city for the burbs.

Nashville is on the verge of a humongous boom I think, while our growth might slowly be starting to slow down over time. Charlotte is not doing enough to bring new HQ into the city. Businesses like Citicorp and such are actually living the city for the burbs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah its a big problem... and I don't think we are doing anything to change that way of thinking...

Whats different things has Nashville done to bring so many in during the year?

I read this morning that Nashville, TN brought 6 new HQ's to its DT & surrounding area.... which made me  think... how many did we get?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just curious - have a link to where you read that? I'm trying to keep an eye on how Charlotte is comparing to its peer cities in economic development, business recruitment and individual relocation decisions. Thanks!

Well for one thing Nashville is geographically in the middle of the State....so they don't have to worry about South Carolina enticing companies such as Citigroup to move 1000 jobs there. Legally Charlotte has its hand's tied with the way NC recruits jobs...they just can't match the tax incentives that SC puts up.

Uptown Charlotte did gain Crosland's new HQ this year.

Well for one thing Nashville is geographically in the middle of the State....so they don't have to worry about South Carolina enticing companies such as Citigroup to move 1000 jobs there. Legally  Charlotte has its hand's tied with the way NC recruits jobs...they just can't match the tax incentives that SC puts up.

Uptown Charlotte did gain Crosland's new HQ this year.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd rather we focus on a good quality of life, generally low taxes, good educational institutiones and infrastructure to attract a range of companies. You can only extend so much in the way of taxes breaks and incentives before the well runs dry and it backfires. Those same companies are the ones most likely to leave again when the well runs dry - just like sports teams.

Plus a range of organically grown companies of varying sizes doesn't have us wilting in fear of losing any particular one of them. Big companies were small at one time and can become large companies. So, I heartily disagree that we should be hunting elephants. Instead, we should be planting seedlings.

Lowes Home Improvement Stores decided to build its new corporate HQ in Iredell County rather than in Charlotte. While still in the metro, Charlotte lost out. Even worse, earlier this month, Lowes decided to relocate its IT center to Winston-Salem rather than place it in the Charlotte area.

This is very different from Home Depot and its presence in DT Atlanta.

Where is Home Depot in DT Atlanta?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Read - Presence" The founder of Home Depot built the Georgia Aquarium in DT Atlanta, and did not even require a cheap corporate sponsorship on the name which dominates the public works buildings in Charlotte.

He did this as a gift to the city in return for he city being so good to his company.

I'd rather we focus on a good quality of life, generally low taxes, good educational institutiones and infrastructure to attract a range of companies.  You can only extend so much in the way of taxes breaks and incentives before the well runs dry and it backfires.  Those same companies are the ones most likely to leave again when the well runs dry - just like sports teams.

Plus a range of organically grown companies of varying sizes doesn't have us wilting in fear of losing any particular one of them.  Big companies were small at one time and can become large companies.  So, I heartily disagree that we should be hunting elephants.  Instead, we should be planting seedlings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...organic growth is the best.

Its good that Crossland moved into DT, but 1 company is not going to keep the boom in dt afloat. I still think that, being a banking city we should try and get more banks...even if they are not HQ's but region offices. Just think, TIAA-Cref moved a good bit of there ppl to Charlotte and build a nice multi-million $$ building, but its hidding in a business park by UNCC... That should have been an investment into DT!

Someone said earlier that we can't compare to the taxes cuts SC gives out... Why is that and if we can't what else can we offer. SC benefits from us being so close and so big (once we get there)

Having a strong corporate presences from companies like Citi could very well lead to more companies looking our way.

Its a shame the saying... if you build it they will come ... saying isn't true.

Does anyone know the exact number of companies currently in DT?

How many of those actually have their own building?

How many have left to go some place else?

maybe the city should do a study on how many companies move to dt compared to how many leave. Be cause if you really think about it we only have 3 that people generally can recognize. BofA, Wachovia, and Duke. And BofA is building more things in NYC than they ever would here, and Wachovia seems to scared to build something big in its here, while duke sits in an small outdated building.

It would be nice to see a big corp do what Coke is doing to DT Atl.

Just think, TIAA-Cref moved a good bit of there ppl to Charlotte and build a nice multi-million $$ building, but its hidding in a business park by UNCC... That should have been an investment into DT!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you that TIAA-CREF made a big mistake by building that huge campus in the university area. They apparently paid about $300/sf, used all sorts of expensive materials and overbuilt it, and there's little alternative use for the space (tough to sublease in a 25% vacant market). :blink:

For that kind of money, they could have built a large building in the heart of downtown and made it much more enticing for its people to relocate down here. The good news is I heard they are planning on moving at least another 1000 people down here by the end of 2006. They already have more than 1000 here now.

I don't understand why everyone is so concerned with BofA building 1 building in NYC.....they have buildings all over the country for their offices and they were spread out all over Manhattan until this project. They will still occupy over twice as much space in Charlotte as they do in Manhattan even if they do keep the Rock space permanently. This was a consolidation and "high-profile" move, nothing more.

Don't fret.....there are still solid plans to put up more BofA towers here....

Don't forget that Microsoft recently shunned offers for a downtown location and instead decided to stay in the suburbs.  That is more that 2000 employees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems like Uptown is populated more by services types, in which I put law, accounting and banking, wherein prestige is an important factor and there are little in the way of facilities required except office space. Ergo, Uptown's working population will depend a lot on other businesses being started and needing services. I am at a law firm in Uptown and we add a half-dozen people a year and are slowly adding floors every other year. It will grow, we just have to have the work from the businesses in the suburbs to support the additional people.

Don't forget that Microsoft recently shunned offers for a downtown location and instead decided to stay in the suburbs.  That is more that 2000 employees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder why Microsoft turned down uptown... It would be nice to have something other than banking being the main employer in DT.

We have companies in our own metro area that could move to uptown if we played them right. (I mean offer the right things) but I'm not even sure if the city counsel is even looking at them. it doesn't do much for their numbers if a local company moves DT. So I highly doubt that they would offer the same deals they give to try and get bigger names here.

Microsoft doesn't need the prestige of being in a DT tower.  So then it comes down to cost.  It is simply less expensive to build in industrial parks than in the CBD.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very true...but it is a shame... DT could use the need for greater office space

You also have to look at timing.....there is no place for a company the size of Microsoft to move all of those people if they wanted to. They would need 600,000 sq. ft. of space in preferably 1 building.....there is no building that vacant, and very few even that large. Then it comes down to building a tower for them to anchor which takes a minimum of 3 years from planning to completion. Most companies aren't interested in that type of wait when they identify the need to expand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The main reason they did these was not cost...it was beacuase their employee base was already mostly in South Charlotte...so it made since from a commutting stand point to remain close to their employee base...then to move further away. That is why they chose the Arrowood location over the Gateway Village location.

You also have to look at timing.....there is no place for a company the size of Microsoft to move all of those people if they wanted to.  They would need 600,000 sq. ft. of space in preferably 1 building.....there is no building that vacant, and very few even that large.  Then it comes down to building a tower for them to anchor which takes a minimum of 3 years from planning to completion.  Most companies aren't interested in that type of wait when they identify the need to expand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The building Microsoft was looking at building was pretty much already planned out and aproved from a zoning standpoint. It is where the parking lot is between the 900 Gateway Building and I-77. So the issue was not timing...as it would have taken just as long to build at as the buildings they ultimatly decided on.

Archived