Charleston/Eastside Clean up

Spartan

I created the map for this so that you will know where it is. This is located just below the Neck area that is also slated for revitalization. The City seems to be focusing on this whole area to try to improve it. This is one of the first areas that you see when you come into the city.

Some sections in the first phase were used by the new intersection of I-26 and US-17. I will try to figure out exactly which areas they are.

City begins community cleanup effort on East Side

Riley says goal is to improve quality of life

BY DAVID SLADE Of The Post and Courier Staff

charleston_Maryville-Ashleyville.jpg

First Phase

Second Phase

Major Roads (I-26 and US-17) that are mostly elevated

After months of planning, Charleston officials launched Operation Neighborhood in the East Side on Monday, touring the troubled community and promising to focus city services on longstanding problems including drug dealing and decaying properties.

Although the East Side abuts sections of Charleston where property values have been soaring, the city documented 38 abandoned homes in the neighborhood in the past several months. Also, police made 360 drug-related arrests there last year.

Mayor Joe Riley told neighborhood residents and a group of students from Frasier Elementary School that the city hopes to improve the quality of East Side life with a higher level of policing, code enforcement and street improvements.

The city has collected a list of abandoned homes and vehicles, overgrown and littered lots and areas where street lighting should be installed or upgraded.

Riley said the size of the neighborhood, which is bounded by Mary, Stuart, Meeting and East Bay streets, will require the city to divide Operation Neighborhood into two phases. The first will focus on the area from Columbus Street north to Stuart Street. The city will tackle the area south of Columbus Street to Mary Street starting in June.

Operation Neighborhood has been used in four other sections of the city since the initiative was launched in 2002. City officials say the temporary increase in city services yields lasting results.

Leonard Higgins, past president of the Maryville/Ashleyville Neighborhood Association, said Operation Neighborhood made a big difference in his West Ashley community. He said residents learned about city services and procedures for getting them, and became more involved in their neighborhood.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived