Favorite Orlando Project

firemick

What is your favorite project either proposed, in planning & approval or under construction  

103 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite project either proposed, in planning & approval or under construction

• 55 West at the Esplanade
    • The Vue at Lake Eola
    • Solaire/Premiere Plaza
    • Benchmark Building and "Penny's Block"
    • Tradition Towers
    • Ivanhoe Apartments
    • North Orange Condos
    • Orlando Palace/Towers
    • Central Park Apartments
    • CNL Tower 2
    • Dynetech Centre
    • Thornton Park MUD/Publix
    • Star Tower
    • The Jackson
    • The Sanctuary

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are filling with youngsters and empty-nesters; but are any of these condos family friendly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a really good question. Not that I'm anywhere near having a family, but I've wondered the same thing myself. I like the idea of an urban environment being a family friendly environment. I think if the condos on Central would be alright if you had young children. I'm not sure how well they would work when the kids began to be old enough to play outside. I think the area is great, but I was talking to someone who lives and works downtown, and she told she is uncomfortable walking to work because of the aggressive behavior by some of the homeless (I can't even remember seeing any homeless people around Central, but I guess I don't live there). Osceola Brownstones seem like they might be very family friendly development

I'm pretty ignorant on this topic, so what do the rest of you think makes an area family friendly? Off the top of my head, I would say safety, good schools and access to open space (whether it be parks or athletic facilities or whatever). After several of these condos are built, I'm really hoping that there will be many more cultural events going on downtown (one example might be some type of family event during the day at the PAC). If downtown develops into the vibrant community that we all know it can be, then I see know reason why there shouldn't be more family-type activities going on downtown than out in the suburbs. I think the greatest obstacle to families living downtown will be the cost. It's tough to find many condos downtown under $300,000, and anything in that price range is almost always suitable only for a single person or a couple. Only very wealthy families are going to be able to afford to buy a three bedroom condo.

You touched a nerve here... Orlando hasn't planned many facilities or attractions in Downtown with children in mind. I've seen everything from Carousels to Children's Museums to playgrounds being built in Downtowns to accommodate children. I guess people figure attracting child-activities downtown is difficult considering the many attractions that there are in Orlando outside of the Downtown. The swan boats are a good start. The playground and yuppie housewives at Panera on the East side of Lake Eola is getting even better (do you ever not see the stroller crowd there?).

The key is to make sure that the child-friendly activites are concentrated in one area; I've seen several cities that make attempts at this, but design child-attractions in the downtown that are dispersed... where there are features concentrated in an area, you will find actual live children.

I guess this is the same reason why car dealerships and bars tend to co-locate together (example: Wall Street). When they are together they are more than the sum of the parts.

I agree with everything you said. What makes me somewhat nervous then is that the singles (twenty-something) will only stay a few (5-10) years until the pitter-patter of little feet sends them packing to the burbs. The empty-nesters (fifty-something) on the other hand will stay much longer (25-30 years) and all the condos that start out with an even mix will slowly become retirement homes as time passes. That will kill a downtown renaissance after a while. Dyer needs a plan for this.

I agree with everything you said.  What makes me somewhat nervous then is that the singles (twenty-something) will only stay a few (5-10) years until the pitter-patter of little feet sends them packing to the burbs.  The empty-nesters (fifty-something) on the other hand will stay much longer (25-30 years) and all the condos that start out with an even mix will slowly become retirement homes as time passes.  That will kill a downtown renaissance after a while.  Dyer needs a plan for this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a scary thought, but I can think of an alternative scenario. Hopefully as Orlando develops and becomes a more culturally attractive place, these twenty-somethings will begin to lobby for more family friendly events and establishments because the thought of moving to the suburbs is a compromise they are unwilling to make. Also, I can't imagine if these condos catch on with twenty-something crowd, businesses aren't going to begin to sprout up that cater to the demographic.

I think the idea of a centralized location that is very family-friendly is a great idea.

• 1 year later...

If only we had a train that could take these children from downtown to the Science Center. That would definitely help the Science Center realise their plans for rennovation. Plus, those same yuppie moms could take the children to Park Avenue a stop or two away afterwards; if the City of Winter Park would allow a train in their "quaint" little city.

After several of these condos are built, I'm really hoping that there will be many more cultural events going on downtown (one example might be some type of family event during the day at the PAC).

The Bob Carr has some things for kids/families during the day on weekends...I'm sure they could be talked into having more. The movie theater will help also, but I think we could use some more park space. Lake Eola and Ivanhoe and their respective playgrounds are pretty nice, though.

Guys,

Full time living condos are RARELY aimed at nuclear families with children it is not the life style that too many families buy in to. Truth be told not many young adults or senior citizens want children around. There might be a few here and there but it will be a long tim before downtown is a place where families live.

Plus, some of that area is zoned for terrible schools.

If only we had a train that could take these children from downtown to the Science Center. That would definitely help the Science Center realise their plans for rennovation. Plus, those same yuppie moms could take the children to Park Avenue a stop or two away afterwards; if the City of Winter Park would allow a train in their "quaint" little city.

Yes, Fairbanks Avenue is very quanit.

Guys,

Full time living condos are RARELY aimed at nuclear families with children it is not the life style that too many families buy in to. Truth be told not many young adults or senior citizens want children around. There might be a few here and there but it will be a long tim before downtown is a place where families live.

There's no such thing as a terrible school.

As a person who worked for a bit at one of those schools in that area, it is not very good. There were 33 studnets and only 25 or so reading books leading us to have to double up on kids. The rooms and batherooms were very dirty and needed refurbishing.

Unlike schools in the suburbs the public schools in the downtown area are not very good. Terrible might not be the best word, but adequate isn't either.

Guys,

I recently moved to dowtown Orlando after living in Manhattan for a year where there's no other choice than to live in a condo or townhome. After growing up in the South and living in Sunbelt cities all my life, I'm sold on urban living for families. My wife and I are in our early 30s with no kids and are hopeful to not have to buy into the suburban lifestyle that many people feel children "need". I'd argue that living in an urban environment gives a child a richer life experience. As for the schools, if and when the time comes for my wife and me, we have a view of St. James Cathedral School on the other side of Lake Eola, and we like what we see. To tell the truth, I wouldn't trust hardly any public school in the state of Florida to do right by my child. My mother-in-law has taught in this state for more than 30 years, and she's in full agreement.

What I hope for Orlando (as a "world-class city") is that some regional planning organization will reign in the unfettered growth on the boundaries. There is really no reason why Avalon Park should exist, but the 408 feeds it, and I just sit on my balcony and laugh at all the brake lights sitting still at rush hour.

As for my favorite project going on downtown, I'd have to vote for The Paramount because I get to watch the construction outside my window. Once it's here, I'll be able to walk across the street to the Publix to get my groceries like I did in NY. I already walk to work, church, the library and restaurants, and this would nearly complete my dream of never using my car on a daily basis. Once the movie theater opens, I'm set. BTW, If any Publix exec is watching out there, I'd suggest offering delivery to condos downtown.

As a person who worked for a bit at one of those schools in that area, it is not very good. There were 33 studnets and only 25 or so reading books leading us to have to double up on kids. The rooms and batherooms were very dirty and needed refurbishing.

Unlike schools in the suburbs the public schools in the downtown area are not very good. Terrible might not be the best word, but adequate isn't either.

I've been to Howard Middle which is downtown. The inside of that school is as nice as any school I've been in. I really hope they still don't have that problem with the books, no school should have to deal with that.

I recently moved to dowtown Orlando after living in Manhattan for a year where there's no other choice than to live in a condo or townhome. After growing up in the South and living in Sunbelt cities all my life, I'm sold on urban living for families. My wife and I are in our early 30s with no kids and are hopeful to not have to buy into the suburban lifestyle that many people feel children "need". I'd argue that living in an urban environment gives a child a richer life experience. As for the schools, if and when the time comes for my wife and me, we have a view of St. James Cathedral School on the other side of Lake Eola, and we like what we see. To tell the truth, I wouldn't trust hardly any public school in the state of Florida to do right by my child. My mother-in-law has taught in this state for more than 30 years, and she's in full agreement.

What I hope for Orlando (as a "world-class city") is that some regional planning organization will reign in the unfettered growth on the boundaries. There is really no reason why Avalon Park should exist, but the 408 feeds it, and I just sit on my balcony and laugh at all the brake lights sitting still at rush hour.

As for my favorite project going on downtown, I'd have to vote for The Paramount because I get to watch the construction outside my window. Once it's here, I'll be able to walk across the street to the Publix to get my groceries like I did in NY. I already walk to work, church, the library and restaurants, and this would nearly complete my dream of never using my car on a daily basis. Once the movie theater opens, I'm set. BTW, If any Publix exec is watching out there, I'd suggest offering delivery to condos downtown.

Orlando needs about 200,000 more people like you :thumbsup:

I voted for TT because of two reasons:

1. its got the streetside, 7 story or so pedestal similar to a Chicago or NYC type of bldg.

2. skybridge-- unique to say the least.

Not to do an injustice to a handful of other projects:

1. Plaza-- b/c its the all in one destination

2. 55W-- b/c it compliments Plaza and Church St. Sta.

3. Paramount-- b/c of Publix and the Central experience

4. Ivanhoe-- b/c of where it is and its size.

5. Vue-- b/c its the new 2nd tallest and looks nice.

6. Dynetech-- b/c its the coolest looking, plus its so close to Vue and Amsouth.

Funny, all these projects mentioned are significant and seem to be moving forward very nicely, but few people seem to be showing much interest in Orlando's proposed NEW tallest--Orlando City Place. Is it because most do not believe that it will be built (too good to be true), or is it just that the design and location leave much to be desired? I for one am a fan of the project, though it is certainly not my favorite by far.

Funny, all these projects mentioned are significant and seem to be moving forward very nicely, but few people seem to be showing much interest in Orlando's proposed NEW tallest--Orlando City Place. Is it because most do not believe that it will be built (too good to be true), or is it just that the design and location leave much to be desired? I for one am a fan of the project, though it is certainly not my favorite by far.

I hope it gets built. Anyone here have an update on it?

Remember this thread was started over a year ago, possibly before City Place was announced.

I like OCP. I like the Lexington renovation. I don't like them together. its like the inverse of peanut butter and chocolate.

I a city full of square blocks, they sure picked one of the worst ones to build what might be one of ORL's best projects.

I like OCP. I like the Lexington renovation. I don't like them together. its like the inverse of peanut butter and chocolate.

I a city full of square blocks, they sure picked one of the worst ones to build what might be one of ORL's best projects.

Wonder what sort of effect the potential relocation of the Magic/the arena will have on the viability of CityPlace...

• 2 weeks later...

joking, right? what part of "urbanplanet" is confusing some people?

ahem,, whats the difference , more condos,, more apts.... you idolize those projects ,,,, you build them you need retail ,, sheesh. now what are ya gonna throw at me dog? sheesh,,

Archived