Should the city annex everything in Greenville

motonenterprises

Oh man, the city that many others should model after! I knew that those towns did decide to still exist, but I think that's because there was a clause which kept total consolidation from becoming permanent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many times, a consolidation still leaves smaller cities in place. Indianapolis and Nashville are two more examples of that. If Charlotte and Mecklenburg County were to fully consolidate, it is pretty certain that Davidson, Mint Hill, Matthews, et al, would remain as well.

Those four cities/towns voted simultaneously for consolidation and to remain as "independent cities" within the consolidated government. This means that they pay taxes and elect public officials to whichever town/city they reside in, but also pay taxes (for "county" services) and elect public officials to the Jacksonville consolidated government. For example, the last mayor of Jacksonville actually lived in Neptune Beach. This system eliminates double taxation, while still allowing the independent cities to govern themselves on local matters (Zoning, Police protection, leash laws etc).

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those four cities/towns voted simultaneously for consolidation and to remain as "independent cities" within the consolidated government.  This means that they pay taxes and elect public officials to whichever town/city they reside in, but also pay taxes (for "county" services) and elect public officials to the Jacksonville consolidated government.  For example, the last mayor of Jacksonville actually lived in Neptune Beach.  This system eliminates double taxation, while still allowing the independent cities to govern themselves on local matters (Zoning, Police protection, leash laws etc).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think that is the smart way to govern and manage a city. Counties are really becoming redundant in metro areas. County governments work better in areas that are mostly or somewhat rural.

I was thinking of another city/county consolidation that I think would be the best one besides Charleston. I'm surprised it hasn't even been mentioned: Florence. The city and county offices are already located in 1 building. Florence is a city that has HUGE potential to be a "Gateway to the Lowcountry", if you will. It already is the entry city to get to Myrtle Beach...if the county consolidated, Florence could really takeoff as an important, economically thriving city. Its downtown area is RIPE for new development!

Archived